a Simple Minds thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i was listening to their best of double cd

the production values of this band in the 80s definitely had a eno/lanois sort of feel to the quality - ala u2's unforgettable fire era

the band suffered from the fact they were 'generation defining' with the breakfast club hit: 'dont you forget about me' but this was a band that pumped out rock/pop hits that rivalled bono and the boys

waterfront - listen to the opening bass line for that song, you'd swear that was something u2 could/would have done
glittering prize
alive and kicking
all the things she said
someone somewhere
ghostdancing

Check out Live In the City Of Lights,if your gonna compare to our boys then it's their version of Under A Blood Red Sky.

I agree Once Upon A Time is a cool album,again probably their Joshua Tree.

Also check a track called She's A River from Good News From The Next World,that's my favorite.

It's a pity they had to resort in putting out a covers album (Neon Lights) not long back ,which included a take on Gloria.

I was as big a fan of Simple Minds way back in the mid-80's and it seemed like they were on a par with them at the time but then U2 took over after Live Aid! :bow:

They have some brill songs like 'Love song' and ' New gold dream' :up:

I actually met Jim Kerr too&he was super nice :love:

Alive and Kicking is a damn awesome song.
still sounds great to this day

also:Up on the Catwalk, See the Lights, She Moved Thru The Fa....err Belfast Child and Waterfront.
"All The Things She Said" nice use of gospel singers.

I have criminally low Simple Minds in my collection. 2 CD's, Glittering Prize and Once Upon A Time.

Great band, but unfortunately only for what concerns their past.................they kinda stuck in something strange that didn't lift them, they're almost a forgotten band, they're still around but you see and hear of them very few times

babyman said:
Great band, but unfortunately only for what concerns their past.................they kinda stuck in something strange that didn't lift them, they're almost a forgotten band, they're still around but you see and hear of them very few times

Yeah, I can't figure it out either, they had a song called "She's A River" back around '97ish which got some radio play and was a good song but it ended up fizzling out. Then they did a covers album right after that, I just don't know how much they care about making it back to the mainstream. Jim Kerr can still sing, as far as I know.

Why does everyone keep on about their late 80's output? The albums they released in the early 80s "Empires and Dance", "Sons and Fascination", "New Gold Dream" shit all over anything else they ever did (and I would suggest, are better than U2's early output).

But I suppose they weren't trying then to conquer the American market and that's all anyone here seems to care about. :|

Back
Top Bottom