A question about "Creep"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saracene

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Melbourne, Australia, some time after tea
I've read a Q magazine article on Radiohead once which puzzled me by referring to "Creep" as being this "scathingly funny song". Now I don't know that much about their music, but I've heard "Creep" several times on the radio and I can't say it made that sort of impression on me. Does anyone know whether the band actually intended for it to be funny?

though noone knows but themselves, i really believe its a serious song that theyre now embarassed about.
its like a kid who says something that he thinks will be cool, but it backfires and hes like "ya, hehe, i was just kidding..."

except not really.

i do believe thom wrote it seriously, there is nothing funny about it. they just dont care much about the song, but now i dont think they even hate it like they used to. people dont refer to them as the creep band anymore.

creep is a great song
I love it

even if Radiohead have forsaken it

I remember a few years ago there was an interview with Thom. He was asked how he felt about all the depressed teenagers being impacted by the song and
he laughed

cos people are missing the point of the song. He said it was a sort of mockery of the ultra-depressed way teens get over silly things
"I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo"

in which case it is actually a pretty funny commentary on life

I remember when Arsenio Hall had Radiohead on and they played 'Creep.' He said is was one of the worst things he had ever heard.

ya, arsenio is an embarassment to all of us who still remember he exists, or existED rather.

who's arsenio hall?

someone called the radio station while wanting to hear creep and the guys on the air couldn't find it but i had the cd with me, so everyone got to hear the song

like you guys really care...

I fear the main reason why I never really got into Radiohead is because I loath Creep

judging by the rest of their work I do suppose Creep is more or less a joke (well, the lyrics at least)

in hindsight it could very well be perceived as a joke, but i highly doubt creep was written as a joke at the time. my opinion anyway.

Back
Top Bottom