A question about american flag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, yea, I knew the colonies thing, but why red and white? Why are our colors red, white, and blue? I should know this...I'm such a bad American sometimes...I'll go do some research...

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

You're a victim of your parents.

Judoooooooo Chop!

Damn, I know this too. I'm pretty sure that red stands for blood.

I can't remember about the white and blue.

From the book "Our Flag" published in 1989 by the House of Representatives...

"On July 4, 1776, the Continental Congress passed a resolution authorizing a committee to devise a seal for the United States of America. This mission, designed to reflect the Founding Fathers' beliefs, values, and sovereignty of the new Nation, did not become a reality until June 20, 1782. In heraldic devices, such as seals, each element has a specific meaning. Even colors have specific meanings. The colors red, white, and blue did not have meanings for The Stars and Stripes when it was adopted in 1777. However, the colors in the Great Seal did have specific meanings. Charles Thompson, Secretary of the Continental Congress, reporting to Congress on the Seal, stated:

"The colors of the pales (the vertical stripes) are those used in the flag of the United States of America; White signifies purity and innocence, Red, hardiness & valour, and Blue, the color of the Chief (the broad band above the stripes) signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice." Also this from a book about the flag published in 1977 by the House of Representatives...

"The star is a symbol of the heavens and the divine goal to which man has aspired from time immemorial; the stripe is symbolic of the rays of light emanating from the sun."

Where would we be without you Gina?

Probably twiddling our thumbs thinking about our colors.

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

Judoooooooo Chop!

Back
Top Bottom