A little help choosing songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
I'm trying to make a CD for a friend of mine, but I'm having trouble with the songs. Here's what I have so far:

The Verve Pipe - The Freshmen
Semisonic - Closing Time
Fastball - The Way
Dishwalla - Counting Blue Cars
Third Eye Blind - Semi-Charmed Kinda Life
Wallflowers - One Headlight
STP - Interstate Love Song

...So I'm a bit stuck. I know the Cd is a bit cliche, it's a lot of bigger hits, most often by semi-one-hit-wonders. Nonetheless, that's sort of the angle I'm going for. Or at least, just reconizable stuff.

Please HELP!

..and thanks in advance! (Whoo hay!)

i don't know, but if i were you i'd call it 'commercial radio circa summer of 1998'

and add everclear's 'i will buy you a new life' or 'father of mine'

and the new radicals--you only get what you give
mighty mighty bosstones--rascal king or the impression that i get

that 3eb song is just called 'semi-charmed life', by the way

:yes: some of those songs are better then their current equivalents though

and throw on a collective soul tune

linkin park, simple plan, good charolette. stuff that's played now as much as those songs were 'back in the day'...

for collective soul i was thinking 'the world i know' in keeping with the '98 theme (however unintentional it was)....run was 2000-something.

those were the days! one off's or near enough indeed...IWB is correct, the equivalents these days are poor in comarison.

Better Than Ezra - Desperately Wanting

Any Live of Throwing Copper would fit this theme, if it's singles you are wanting, I Alone is a bit more in theme than Lightening Crashes or Selling The Drama. I have a severe weakness for Pillar of Davidson but all this may be moot if you dont like Live lol.

If you are looking for '98 specifically, I dont know if these were from that year though...Too lazy to check :D

Everclear - Local God

Zero 7 - Waiting Line

Bon Jovi - It's my Life

Fuel - Shimmer

Garbage - Special/ Supervixen

Lara Mullen said:

Fuel - Shimmer

I agree. By the way, does anyone else think that Fuel's other hit song (In My Hands or whatever it's called) sounds awfully similar to this song? Still, Shimmer is good.

Oh, and how about Everlong by Foo Fighters?

Last edited:
throwing copper was 1994 :mad: :mad: :mad:

:wink: (kidding about all those mad faces)

if you were to throw on live from 1998, it would be 'freaks' or 'turn my head'...which i think were late 1997, but that's closer than lighting crashes or i alone...

and that other fuel song is called hemmorage (in my hands). shimmer is good. i liked jesus or a gun better, i think.

better than ezra :yes:

bon jovi :no:

everclear-local god. wow...i forgot about that. wasn't it on the romeo and juliet soundtrack or something? i know i've got a live version or two on a tape at home, but i don't remember having it on an album.

everlong is good. how about 'my hero'?

wasn't there a smashing pumpkins song that came out around that time? i can't remember, and i don't have my mix tapes here.

can't beleive i forgot these:

-natalie imbruglia--torn
-meredith brooks--i'm a bitch (or whatever the exact title was)
-no doubt--don't speak
-savage garden--truly madly deeply (or that other one...oooh i want you i don't know if ineed you...)
-eagle eye cherry--save tonight (was a bit later, i think. 1999-ish? maybe 98. can't really say i remember)
-harvey danger--flagploe sitta
-blink 182-dammit (i know, they suck. but i had to include it)
-eve 6--inside out
-sugar ray--i just want to fly (again, don't have toe correct title)
-dave matthews band--don't drink the water
-the verve--bittersweet symphony (i used to hear that every single day on the bus to school)
-edwin mccain--(forgot the title...i think it's that 'and i'll be better when i'm older thing...or was that the 'i'm just barely breathing can't find oh yeah don't know why i'm lving' thing? that one too...)
-the bodeans--closer to three
-not zz top...what were they called...'your majesty'....and if you want to buy my flowers, just go ahead now....the name of the band WILL come back to--THE SPIN DOCTORS. there we go.
-whatever bush song was popular at the time. i know there was one. 'come down'? 'everything's zen'? i really can't remember, but i think it was on 16 stone or whatever that album was called. 13 stone? i can't remember
-pearl jam--last kiss and wishlist. definetly wishlist.
-you know what wallflowers song i liked? the difference. yeah. i liked that song. and you know what fastball song i liked better than the way? fire escape. i remember it was the difference between miles zungia (sp? can you really expect me to spell that right? i get points for REMEMBERING a name like that) and tony scalzo's vocals or something.
-and i liked third eye blind's 'jumper' and 'how's it gonna be' better
--SISTER HAZEL--hard to say what it is i see in you wonder if i'll always be with you words can't say...and so on. i used to get that mixed up with 3eb--semi-charmed life. i remember the days when i thought those were rock songs. HA. pop songs.

wow. when i went to post this, i had only remembered the first two i mentioned. from there on my brain just spewed everything i could remember from ~1998. heh. i need to get a life or something.

oh and fule also had a song called 'bittersweet' on the same album as jesus or a gun and shimmer

the album was called shimmer, right? no. sunburn. i can't remember. i should look it up.

technically interstate love song is before 1998, right? isn't plush more recent? i cannot remember.

go up to 1999 and you can add hole--malibu, and the lo fidelity allstars--battle flag.

battle flag :up: lo fidelity allstars :up:

:madspit: IWB I knew throwing copper was before 98, i'm a lazy arse :D i knew someone would come in and correct me :lol:
(also kidding with the mad spittin' smilie :D )

do these have to be 98, miss thong?

and a woohay for mentioning bush. :censored: awesome band. so :censored: awesome. why the hell aren't they more appreciated by the general public??????? i really dont get that. sigh. ah well. good picks. everything zen is a great song, though come down is probably one of their most well known thanks to the movie drop zone which featured it....didnt it? ah well. 16 stone is an awesome album. this however is not a bush thread so i will shut up.

i like your list. i might copy it :D

hehehehe

throwing copper

i was definetly kidding about those mad faces

honestly i don't know how they all ended up being 1998. i think cos the original list was primarily stuff from that year, and it was easier to narrow down what songs to reccommend if i decided to list all the songs i could remember being big in 1998

days of the new. remember them, anyone? travis meeks. they put out some music, meeks kicked everyone out of the band and then put out another album. the rest of the band went onto form the band tantric and a few years later gained more mainstream attention than days of the new had ever got (in the u.s. anyway). possibly the overlooked precussor (everyone thinks of creed) to the default/lifehouse/the calling/etc. mess.

haha

you know what i did? i guessed that interstate love song was older than 1998, and suggested plush...

...little did i remember, plush was on core. which was out before purple (with interstate love song on it).

:lol: i'm dumb

just said 98 for semi charmed life cos it was getting it's share of radio overplayed-ness during that year

stroke 9...wow...i forgot that song...think it was a bit later, like 2000ish

maybe?

Back
Top Bottom