a 15 year contract?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
The New York Islanders will announce today that they have signed goalie Rick DiPietro to a 15-year, $67.5 million contract.

what the heck??

and its not like the nfl where you can cut the guy and the money is off the books, this is guaranteed, crazzzziness

he's not even that good of a goalie :huh:

Last edited:
Well this is insane but with the Islanders it's to be expected. After all, this is the franchise that has given us "Mad" Mike Milbury, Garth Snow as GM, that $87 million 10-year contract to Alexei Yashin and now this crazy 15-year deal.

This is definetely Charles Wang's doing, who, I assume, fancies himself as a sort of George Steinbrenner type owner.

A few points:

-shorter contracts tend to produce players who push themselves more, especially in their contract year. DiPietro can have a bad season and still know that he's staying put and getting a decent salary

-should the Isles need to trade him , who would take on such a contract?

-longer contracts in the salary cap era are completely crazy, as no knows what a future cap ceiling would look like. For all we know in 5 years the NHL could lose revenue and see it's cap shrink by millions. So, a contract of this nature is completely can handcuff the Islanders for years to come

-if DiPietro makes it to the end of the contract he would have played 19 years in the NHL. To date only 8 goalies in the ENTIRE history of the league have played 19 years or more. So, DiPietro will more than likely not finish this contract—but who cares, since it's guaranteed anyway? He's set for life.

IDIOTS!! I also expect the Islanders to sign a mule which can count to 20, a 12yr old girl who yodels and Terrell Owens after he gets the boot from the Cowboys sometime this season.

people people... you're missing the master plan.

this is just another chip in the game currently being played between jim dolan and charlie wang over who can drive their franchise further into the ground before someone forces them into selling the team.

dolan fires a hall of fame coach and replaces him with the GM that created the mess in the first place? wang fires his stanley cup winning GM and replaces him with his back up goalie! touche' chuck! touche, indeed.

so now wang goes and signs the most rediculous contract in pro sports history... one tingles with anticipation to see what dolan does in response. perhaps a 30 year deal for eddy curry? lifetime contract for renaldo balkman? the possibilities are endless.

Last edited:
Also glad I'm not a Sabres fan. Nice logo :lol:

watermarkig9.jpg

Headache in a Suitcase said:
perhaps a 30 year deal for eddy curry?

NBA contracts can't be longer than 6 years. If the NBA didn't put a limit on it, however, I suspect the Knicks would've given Curry at least a 10 year contract. Probably more.

I'd like to see Thomas come out of retirement and serve as a player-coach, followed by him reworking his contract since he'd be a player too, that would be a good time!

Canadiens1160 said:
Also glad I'm not a Sabres fan. Nice logo :lol:

watermarkig9.jpg

I tihnk it looks like a Sloth, The Buffalo Sloths..........Everyone here in WNY hates the new Logo, there are petitions and every thing......still not the worst logo in the NHL, but close, very close. They had a sick one before, I would like a retro look!

TheBrush said:

I tihnk it looks like a Sloth, The Buffalo Sloths..........Everyone here in WNY hates the new Logo, there are petitions and every thing......still not the worst logo in the NHL, but close, very close. They had a sick one before, I would like a retro look!

The Sabers new logo is still better than when the Islanders brought in the Morton's Fisherman a few years ago. Maybe Wang can sign the Morton's Fisherman to a 10 year, $85mil contract. Or maybe Dolan will, just to piss off Wang.

Back
Top Bottom