'90's bands that just sound dated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Layton

War Child
Simple question,

Which '90's bands that you used to think highly of, now sound dated in a way that turns you off to them? In other words which bands from that era aren't really timeless after all?

For me, it's the Smashing Pumpkins. I'm going to exclude Siamese Dream because that's their only brilliant album. Everything else they did now sounds dated to me. The personality driving the material on Mellon Collie and the other albums doesn't seem timeless. It belongs to another era. Which makes it seem real quaint in the long run.

Well, most of the grunge and post-grunge bands I guess...

But honestly, if you ask me.. I don't mind 90s bands that sound dated cos it's quite possibly my favorite decade ever! the one I grew up with thru those teen years 1991 - 1997 :drool:

Pearl Jam, even their recent works sound to the 90s

Last edited:
Anything grunge really It had the same energy as punk rock but I doubt it will be as endeering.

Nevermind The Bollocks still sounds fresh, while Nevermind doesn't, for me anyway.

DaveC said:
Dee-Lite. :|

Groove is in the heaaaaaaart... Na Na Na Na!
Groove is in the heaaaaaaart... Na Na Na Na!
Groove is in the heaaaaaaaaaart... Na Na Na Na!
Groooove is in the heaaaaaaaaart... Na Na Na Na!

:dance:

the post grunge yarling Vedder-apers.

if that's Creed or Seven Mary Three or any of them.

the orginators of that sound don't sound dated at all
5 of Pearl Jam's 6 albums are just rock and roll, the first one does sound a bit dated, although it's great
Soundgarden still sounds like a hard rock band
Alice in Chains still sounds like a hard rock band

the ones who really sound dated are the Godsmacks and the Days of the New that followed, who were basically emulating a sound that was only unique to specific albums, rather than a groups body of work, much less an original sound anyhow. Even today, the guy from Seether sings like Vedder on Ten, as opposed to what he's done since. Actually he's probably singing like Stapp who's singing like Vedder....anyways that could go on forever. It took almost 20 years for people to get sick of singers trying to emulate Robert Plant and Freddy Mercury. We might have a few more years left before good singers return to mainstream rock and roll (in large part)

also the aggro rap/metal, loud, silent, loud, silent, loud crowd.
with screaming/whining/ and then a repetitive sang/talked chorus plucked right from 'Killing in the Name' ---and now you do what they told ya. Let the bodies hit the floor. Or toss in some Durst.

even a good album from that 'genre' like Deftones sounds severely dated, granted it's less their fault than the slew of clones that came after them.

Some music that is dated is still very good though.
It's not always a bad thing. Usually it meant that it was very unique and important to the time it came out. Burn brighter.

I could understand someone thinking bands such as the Gin Blossoms (who I still adore), Better than Ezra, Hootie and the Blowfish, Spin Doctors, Refreshments, Tonic all sound dated.

All that music seems so out of place in the "noughties", but I still love it and it brings out the nostalgic sentimentalist in me.

I often struggle to find a genre to put these bands into. I really don't know how to describe the sound that is created.

It's a blend of post-grunge, post-Smiths/Stone Roses and pre-commercial punk.

Good stuff all the same...

It all seems so innocent, and the 90's was indeed an innocent and carefree decade. Posibly the greatest decade in the Twentieth Century, with the only real major blemish being the the Rwandan Genocide of 1994.

Stone Temple Pilots - great band but the music is so tied to the 90s that sometimes it's hard for me to listen nowadays.

the video to Blur's Girls and Boys - it's a good song, don't get me wrong - but that video is just sooooooooo early to mid-ninties, it kinda makes me laugh. everyone had their floppy hair cuts and crap clothes. i dunno.

Counting Crows- didn't like them then and they haven't improved with age.

Happy Mondays, Stone Roses and the rest of the Madchester crowd- Still like them, but they do sound of that time and place.

Lemonheads, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Gin Blossoms- kinda liked them, or some of their songs anyway. Whatever happened to Evan Dando anyway?

And of course, Oasis.

the offspring

someone next door listened to the "sonny came home" song, natalie imbru-whatsherface, and sister hazel in succession yesterday. i was quite temped to go over and ask them if they could re-live 1997 with their headphones on. man, those songs sucked.

the person who mentions/mentioned (didn't read all the thread so i don't know) silverchair will be wearing my boot imprints on their e-face for the rest of their life.

Last edited:
i used to be addicted to these songs, but they are very out dated now:

the flaming lips .. "she don't use jelly". not sure what i was thinking at the time.

crash test dummies .. "mmmm, mmmm, mmmm, mmmm". i must have listened to the entire album everyday for weeks back then, and now wouldn't even listen to it for nostaglic sake.

green jelly .. "litlle pig, little pig". common, u saw the video right.
"not by the hair of my chinny chin chin". i will say no more.

Layton said:

For me, it's the Smashing Pumpkins. I'm going to exclude Siamese Dream because that's their only brilliant album.

Absolutely agree ... that's their only album I've ever bought !! :up:
Haven't ever considered buying any of their other albums just never found them to be that GREAT as Siamese Dream was. :tsk:

I just got another great idea from the 'intellectual' thread,,

Live:

They now sound like the most overwrought band of all time. Of course, they always did, but time has most certainly relegated them to being a '90's relic.

Re: Re: '90's bands that just sound dated

MsMofoGone said:

Absolutely agree ... that's their only album I've ever bought !! :up:
Haven't ever considered buying any of their other albums just never found them to be that GREAT as Siamese Dream was. :tsk:

I love that album, but I'm more partial to Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness

it has Bullet with Butterfly Wings
and
Tonight, Tonight

all 3 of my favorite SP songs

Layton said:
I just got another great idea from the 'intellectual' thread,,

Live:

They now sound like the most overwrought band of all time. Of course, they always did, but time has most certainly relegated them to being a '90's relic.

Overwrought yerself, yer fool!

They are an accomplished band who have written over 3 dozen immensely enjoyable tunes over the years, and have manifested a willingness to try something different.

"Songs from Black Mountain", Live's 7th studio album, is released in 3 months, and will hopefully bring them back into the spotlight.

Throwing Copper and Secret Samadhi make anything Pearl Jam ever did seem mediocre....

Back
Top Bottom