6 MUST bands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepokiss

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Imagine you have a kid (if you have one, don't imagine)... and he/she comes up to you and say "Dad/Mom... WHAT's music?"

You'd be :huh:

so... you get the idea... to explain your kid WHAT IS MUSIC, make'em a 5 band list to define esentially what is music.. as you see it, and the world....

it got harder as I type this :huh:

PS: NO honorable mentions or stuff like that, no ties, no nothing :madwife:... just 6 (thinking EVERYONE will make U2 one, so in reality there's 5)... order is not important

1 - U2
2 - Queen
3 - Elvis Presley
4 - Michael Jackson
5 - Frank Sinatra
6 - The Beatles (though I like more The Rolling Stones, The Beatles EVOLVED more)

(of course this is in english for sake of the game... with spanish groups, MY list would've been somewhat diferent)

1.U2
2.Kiss
3.The Rolling Stones/ The Who (I'd explain them together)
4.Queen
5.Elvis

1. U2
2. The Beatles
3. Rolling Stones
4. Queen
5. Bruce Springsteen
6. Sting/The Police

EDIT: I edited, sue me, a person can change his/her mind :wink:

Last edited:
1. U2
2. The Beatles
3. The Smiths

I'd force the music of those 3 bands onto my kids as those are my favourite bands over.

and i'd buy concert tickets for my kids to go and see

4. Kings Of Leon
5. The Arcade Fire
6. The Strokes

because i think they're probably the best bands around today. And because KOL fucking rock live :rockon:

1. Elvis Presley
2. Bob Dylan
3. Rolling Stones
4. U2
5. Sly and the Family Stone
6. Public Enemy

1. U2
2. The Beatles
3. Nirvana
4. Diana Ross and the supremes
5. The rolling stones
6. Kate bush

(Quite a variety of different genres there..)

1) The Beatles
2) The Velvet Underground
3) Mozart
4) N.W.A.
5) Eno (in hopes that he would lead to Phillip Glass and Steve Reich and such)
6) Miles Davis

This is my list of BANDS ;)

1- The Beatles
2- Pink Floyd
3- Led Zeppelin
4- Queen
5- Radiohead
6- The Rolling Stones

While there is a difference semantically between 'bands' and 'artists', but I don't know if the thread intends to exclude artists... saying 'bands and artists' is more cumbersome than just saying 'bands'. Since we're talking about music, I think its safe to say musicians are what we're looking for, regardless of individual/group accomplishment, since it'd be kindof silly to exclude tons of successful musicians based solely on the fact that they aren't in a band (even though they need a band to tour with them, and so blurring the lines between 'band' and 'artist' further).

That said... in no particular order:

1. David Bowie
2. Queen
3. Elvis Presley
4. The Beatles
5. Chuck Berry
6. Alice Cooper

Lots of reasons for those, and why I left some others off... but, no conditions. So here we are.

1.bob dylan
2.Beethoven
3.The Who
4.Radiohead
5.Bruce Springsteen
6. John Coltrane

1. U2
2. The Beatles
3. Pink Floyd
4. Queen
5. Radiohead
6. Oasis

This thread made me chuckle, our kids are growing up listening to these bands -they have no choice after all :wink: and the younger one loves The Beatles and Queen in particular. The older one though now he's beginning to buy his own stuff is more into bands such as Razorlight, Arctic Monkeys etc -good enough bands but don't know if they'll stand the test of time. Rebellious youth eh :sigh:

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
While there is a difference semantically between 'bands' and 'artists', but I don't know if the thread intends to exclude artists... saying 'bands and artists' is more cumbersome than just saying 'bands'. Since we're talking about music, I think its safe to say musicians are what we're looking for, regardless of individual/group accomplishment, since it'd be kindof silly to exclude tons of successful musicians based solely on the fact that they aren't in a band (even though they need a band to tour with them, and so blurring the lines between 'band' and 'artist' further).
Well, you're right. The difference consists in the semantic.
A band is a collective of artists. An artist is an artistic entity. For example, for publishers and editors, a band is considered an artist, and when you're talking about a group of several solo artists and bands, you have to refer them as "those artists".

I'd want my kid to know that music existed before 1955 and that music isn't an all-male thing, so here's my list:

1. Beethoven
2. Miles Davis
3. Aretha Franklin
4. The Beatles
5. Bruce Springsteen
6. U2

1. Beatles
2. Led Zeppelin
3. U2
4. Beck
5. David Bowie
6. Steely Dan

I like some artists more than these, but these would give a kid a good place to start.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Merzbow
Merzbow
Merzbow
Merzbow
Merzbow
Kevin Pietersen

I win.

:lol:

yeah, I can imagine that

Merzbow
Wolf Eyes