6.5 Earthquake hits Hawaii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow

i cant believe that was posted in the General Tour area :huh: :huh:

so an earthquake hits and the first thing we can think about is a U2 concert

From all the news reports I've heard and read it is amazing that structures seem to be ok following a magnitude plus aftershocks those islands surrounded by water have experienced.

Bono is probably still in Manhattan. He won't be in Hawaii until December 9th.

What island is the stadium they will be performing in located on?

I hope everyone over there is okay.

As long as Bono is ok, no worries :laugh:.
Hopefully U2's hotel and the stadium is not damaged :laugh:.

I just talked to my in-laws who live a little north of Hilo. They said there are no known fatalities, but a lot of minor property damage on the Big Island, as well as a landslide blocking part of the main highway and a few incidents of major structural damage. Their whole house shook and they said they felt several very strong aftershocks. Power is still out across large swathes of all the islands and the governor has declared a state of emergency, apparently because there are concerns that more areas of roads, especially bridges, will turn out to have been damaged enough to become unstable (on the Big Island only, I think). Initially as redhotswami mentioned there was some panic that a tsunami might result (Hilo has been destroyed by one before), but now they are saying nothing more than heightened wave activity.

I would imagine the airports are a mess at the moment.

yolland said:

I would imagine the airports are a mess at the moment.

Honolulu is a bit of a mess with no power, but word is that most of the other airports are fine.

Honolulu was reporting no damage to the runways or taxi ways. Because the lack of power, they were deplaning people via "air stairs." Some of the International flights landed before the quack, causing problems with how to process people through customs without computers.

:up:

JCOSTER said:
Bono is probably still in Manhattan. He won't be in Hawaii until December 9th.

What island is the stadium they will be performing in located on?

I hope everyone over there is okay.

The U2 concert is in fact Dec 9th on the island of Oahu. I think the Big Island is what sustained the most damage as well as the threat of tsunami. Earthquakes don't scare me in the least, but I wouldn't want to be on an island like Hawaii during one especially a big one what with being surrounded by water with the threat of flooding, high surf and/or tsunami!

I guess the timing of the earthquake is a good thing though. Most people were at home and off the roads away from mudslides and falling debris. Good to here no fatalities so far.

Being stuck in the non-security side of the airport must be tough, I couldn't find any place to eat in the ticketing area except for pineapples selling places.

Yeah I feel for all the folks travelling. In bound folks I hear are having fewer problems than those trying to get out. Schools and businesses will be closed through Wed. I hope there isn't a lot of damage to Bldgs and bridges, etc. It will take a few days before everything can be assessed. Keeping my fingers crossed. Still, it sounds like the Big Island got hit the hardest.

Back
Top Bottom