25 Years of MTV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMacPhisto said:

The worst show in television history is easily "Next", but I get a kick out of its idiocy.

yeah, if you're really bored, those dumb MTV dating shows can almost be entertaining

but really, what the fuck happened to MTV? it had music, really?

MTV is the government, guys. it's trying to control us.

man I used to have this one music channel that was tight. muchmusic? fuse? are either of those channels?

The loss of MTV- or any music television in general- is more concerning when one looks at the future of online media. If you browse through most music search engines, mp3 databases, or the behemoth that is iTunes, you will come across a relatively eclectic mix of genres and artist popularities. Coincidentally, the music range is very similar to that of the original MTV, which provided access to bands and musicians that a lot of folks did not know about. Today, the online exposure is just as empowering to small artists... and digital media, podcasts, and internet streams will probably make television obsolete. At this point in time, I do not know how the music industry and corporate sponsorship will be able to exert control over something as ephemeral and broad as digital media, but collectively, they have always found a way to corrupt the variety of sounds in our listening environment. It's only a matter of decades before the next MTV-like icon undermines the current home of new music... and then the successor will lose its luster too.

Has anyone come out with Internet Killed The Video Star? Or at least Lars Ulrich...

:sexywink:

Last edited:
cujo said:
The loss of MTV- or any music television in general- is more concerning when one looks at the future of online media. If you browse through most music search engines, mp3 databases, or the behemoth that is iTunes, you will come across a relatively eclectic mix of genres and artist popularities. Coincidentally, the music range is very similar to that of the original MTV, which provided access to bands and musicians that a lot of folks did not know about. Today, the online exposure is just as empowering to small artists... and digital media, podcasts, and internet streams will probably make television obsolete. At this point in time, I do not know how the music industry and corporate sponsorship will be able to exert control over something as ephemeral and broad as digital media, but collectively, they have always found a way to corrupt the variety of sounds in our listening environment. It's only a matter of decades before the next MTV-like icon undermines the current home of new music... and then the successor will lose its luster too.

Has anyone come out with Internet Killed The Video Star? Or at least Lars Ulrich...

:sexywink:

Very well put. The death of MTV as it was intended to be is a sad thing. On Youtube there are so many MTV interviews and stuff with U2 but nowadays you don't see that kind of exclusive coverage. I can honestly say I haven't watched more than an hour straight of MTV.

AtomicBono said:
MTV is the government, guys. it's trying to control us.

:laugh: :yes:

I do have digital cable with VH1 Classic and MTV Hits, but the truth is, I just don't watch much television in general. I went on vacation for three weeks, so I unplugged my television (an old Oklahoma habit of avoiding having your electronics destroyed in a thunderstorm). It was well over a week before I plugged it back in after I got home.

I will say, when I have watched VH1 Classics or MTV Hits, it's alright. I could do without all of the shows glorifying hair metal though.

Speaking of which, that Adam Curry picture is awesome. My friend and I used to run home from school every day and watch Yo! MTV Raps and Hard 30. :drool:

eddre.jpg

I weep for the death of Yo! MTV Raps. I had the t-shirt, the cassette tapes...I loved that show. :sad:

I think the music video is a tired art form. I'm much more into just listening to music and buying concert dvds put out by bands I like.

The overall quality of music videos has fallen off the past few years. People like Peter Gabriel, U2, Michael Jackson and so on don't produce the same number of good music videos as they used to. The rest of the music scene doesn't produce very good videos nowadays.
The future lies in IPod's where music videos can be downloaded for free. Since the emergence of cult bands, the concept of promotion has changed. I fear that smaller bands won't get the exposure that thier predecessors had.

MTV has always infuriated those older than its target teenage audience. This thread is apparently no exception.

Oh yeah, and today, 8/1, is MTV's 25th anniversary.

Melon

From what I have seen of MTV's first day airing right now on VH1 CLASSIC, their average selection of video's was like this:

REO Speedwagon, Styx, Rod Stewart, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Rod Stewart, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Rod Stewart, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Rod Stewart etc.

melon said:
MTV has always infuriated those older than its target teenage audience. This thread is apparently no exception.

i'm 19 & i think it sucks. ;)

david said:
I think the music video is a tired art form. I'm much more into just listening to music and buying concert dvds put out by bands I like.

i agree. :up:

INDY500 said:
"want my MTV."
:drool:

Rod Stewart? REO Speedwagon? Leo Sayer??

Yikes. I guess the early days of MTV weren't quite as cutting edge as my nostalgic memories.

I'm loving the videos by The Pretenders, however.

GibsonGirl said:
For starters, I don't know how they can continue to call it music television. Where's the music? Do I care about how "pimped out" a celebrity's "ride" is? No. And I don't see how other people can. As for the music itself, I can't remember when last MTV played a video that didn't degrade young women or glorify sex.

Exactly. :up:

Some of the program directors should seriously be ashamed of themselves for pushing such distorted images. And to think, many of these people are probably parents themselves.

As far as the music element of MTV and MuchMusic goes, it's very much become window dressing for these products and images.
It's sad that nobody's captured the real potential of an all-music channel--a place full of rare performances, interviews, and, well, music.

The International Music Feed channel is pretty good. Check it out if you have it. :up:

angelordevil said:

Exactly. :up:

Some of the program directors should seriously be ashamed of themselves for pushing such distorted images. And to think, many of these people are probably parents themselves.

As far as the music element of MTV and MuchMusic goes, it's very much become window dressing for these products and images.
It's sad that nobody's captured the real potential of an all-music channel--a place full of rare performances, interviews, and, well, music.

Interesting that you mentioned MuchMusic! I was going to bring them up too. When I arrived in Canada five years ago, MuchMusic and MuchMoreMusic were showing more, well, music. MuchMusic were starting to go downhill at that point, but they still had some pretty cool features. I still remember the great live interview they had with U2 when they played Toronto on the Elevation tour. These days, I can't even be bothered to sit through five minutes of their programming.

As for MuchMoreMusic, they've become the dumping ground for all the reality television shows and silly movies that many people probably don't care for. And the MMM countdown, which used to be good, now shows the exact same bands and artists that receive exposure on MuchMusic. MMM used to air a lot of great live shows by a variety of bands and they almost ALWAYS had music videos running. Now, you've got to get up pretty early to catch any decent videos. I think the cutoff for actual videos is 10 AM in Newfoundland, at which point they move onto reality shows. I could be wrong, though, as it has been a while since I watched MMM.

But anyway, the point is that all of this has happened in the space of five years. MTV is even corrupting music television in other places around the world!

Bono's shades said:
Rod Stewart? REO Speedwagon? Leo Sayer??

Yikes. I guess the early days of MTV weren't quite as cutting edge as my nostalgic memories.

I'm loving the videos by The Pretenders, however.

Exactly my thoughts after watching the show. To be fair most of those are "promotional videos" dating back as far as 1977 so the quality really picked up after MTV became a force in the music industry.

But amongst the horribly outdated styles, embarrassingly lame music and Rod Stewart's infantile posing--the Pretenders still sound as fresh and original as they did back then. What a great band.

Pete Farndon, James Honeyman Scott. Gone but not forgotten.

the rockin edge said:

i'm 19 & i think it sucks. ;)

word (though I'm 18)

so uh, does anyone here NOT think MTV sucks? anyone? anyone?

I don't think the music video is a tired art form, necessarily, I think it just needs new ideas. It seems every rap video is just a bunch of almost-naked girls grinding on a rapper who generally isn't that attractive (why the double standard? an unattractive female would NEVER make it in the music industry. ever notice how all female artists are very skinny and/or in good shape?), and those are the only videos MTV shows. There are still good and innovative videos being made though, like Crazy (Gnarls Barkley) and Original of the Species.

AtomicBono said:

word (though I'm 18)

so uh, does anyone here NOT think MTV sucks? anyone? anyone?

I don't think the music video is a tired art form, necessarily, I think it just needs new ideas. It seems every rap video is just a bunch of almost-naked girls grinding on a rapper who generally isn't that attractive (why the double standard? an unattractive female would NEVER make it in the music industry. ever notice how all female artists are very skinny and/or in good shape?), and those are the only videos MTV shows. There are still good and innovative videos being made though, like Crazy (Gnarls Barkley) and Original of the Species.

If you're a girl in a band you're more viable to make it.

like The Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Stars

but they're too Indietastic for MTV to handle, if they play a song by any of them a mob of teenage girls will demand another episode of "The Hills of the Next Pimped Rides in Laguna Beach."

18 and think it sucks...

I did so enjoy the 20th anniversary and hoped they would do something like it again because it was right around the time I started listening to U2 so I got to see all of their videos...

also the first time I saw sledgehammer :yikes: quite frightening

Back
Top Bottom