2014 FIFA World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm not saying he has been bad.

I'm just saying that dropping from a top 5 league in the world to MLS will show when he plays internationally. Because MLS isn't anywhere near as difficult a league to play in.

The same thing happened to David Beckham when he went to PSG after so many years in LA.

Beckham was pretty successful at an old age in LA.

You don't see many hockey players, save Jagr, leaving the NHL and coming back good, do you?

Right, okay, except you'd be surprised the drop-off an older athlete can experience from one year to the next. That he was relatively good at 35 in L.A. and then not so good at 36 at PSG, well, that could be age related. Then again, it might not.

Beckhams last season in LA was arguably his best...

I'm not trying to shit on MLS but if you think the level of talent is anywhere near Serie A, La Liga, EPL, Bundisliga, etc....

It's not.

I'm saying it's entirely possible that Beckham's production would have slipped to a similar degree had he remained at L.A. because of his advancing age.

Anyway, time for Brazil-Mexico now.

Well it was just an example. Sure you can make up a million reasons, but the point was that once a player takes a step out of competitive play, ESPECIALLY at an older age, the chances of them being able to play as well as they were playing just before leaving are small.

Thank God for that. Thanks to Fellaini as well. A loss would have been a disaster. I hope they start the next game cause it was clearly working better with them on the pitch.

They seemed to be very nervous, after the goal they finally started playing. Can't say much about the opponents though, they weren't quite doing much.

That Mexican keeper, man. Unreal.

Guillermo Ochoa is a beast. The Brazilian keeper didn't do that bad of a job either. I'm slightly frustrated that none of the teams made a goal, but it was quite exciting from beginning to end.

Thought Mexico was lucky not to be whistled for a penalty at the end there. Then again, it's not like Brazil was going to put the ball past Willie Ochoa.

I bet Thiago Silva lies awake at night wondering what he did to deserve to have to play with such a crummy back line.

Well it was just an example. Sure you can make up a million reasons, but the point was that once a player takes a step out of competitive play, ESPECIALLY at an older age, the chances of them being able to play as well as they were playing just before leaving are small.

Bradley will be fine. I wouldn't worry about him.

It was just a really tough situation for him at Roma -- they signed him thinking that possibly they might be shipping out de Rossi, and in fact Bradley a lot of matches in 2012-13. But then de Rossi stopped sucking, and Bradley really didn't have the attacking chops to displace Strootman, Pjanic or Totti. Roma probably would have been perfectly happy to keep him for additional depth, but Bradley probably is better off starting in MLS than being a bench player for Roma. And he's only 26, so the window isn't closed on his European career by any means.

Good performance from Mexico...Ochoa I believe is out of contract this summer...excellent freebie for whoever picks him up.

Thiago Silva as I have said before is like the last world class centre back in existence. Everyone else is just crap, though Marquez had a good game for a 35 year old.

I think 7 had a point, for what it's worth :shrug:

Anyhoo just watching Ochoa's saves, absolutely brilliant, maybe I was also wrong that all 0-0 draws would be extremely boring.

Reporting from Rio de Janeiro...

This whole experience is fucking off the hook. Only been to one match so far (Chile vs Australia in Cuiàba, a small, humid city smack bang in the heart of the South American continent). Was sweltering during the game but the feeling was immense. Every second is full of relevance. Like a league Grand Final x 100. A cracking match to watch and I was super impressed with how we held our own against the Chileans. 3-1 flatters them, and we were unlucky to have not scored an equaliser through the brilliance of Leckie, Bresciano and Jedinak.

It's been a great World Cup so far. A few upsets (not enough) but some really intriguing scenarios as we head into the second round of the group stage with plenty of live ties likely in the third round. Really would like Japan to find their feet and for Belgium to show a bit more conviction.

I've got four more matches to go, all at the tail end of the trip, including two here in Rio. Australia play the Netherlands tomorrow. This one I won't be travelling for, but will be watching on the big screens on the Copacabana beach. The beaches here are incredible, full of people kicking footballs around. The streets are full of fans from all different nations (the Chileans and Argentinians are most rowdy in particular). And believe the hype, the women here are physically more exhilaratingly gorgeous than anywhere else in the world. Constant distractions to the eye, I can barely string a sentence together as I walk along.

Sounds like you're having a blast! I'm insanely jealous! :D Enjoy the match tonight, I'm watching at uni on the big screen with a lot of mates and coworkers. Say hi to the Dutchies for me! :wink:

Man I was so rooting for Mexico last night. They were playing great! I'm completely underwhelmed by Brazil, they're playing really bad, damn.

I'm hoping the USA make the second. Gives us a great chance to progress to the quarters. If we win our group of course. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom