2012 AFL Thread IV - Where Fremantle win the Grand Final between Hawthorn & Sydney

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So Malthouse signed for three years.

I wish him all the best in taking Carlton to their next wooden spoon.

Well we all knew Mick would coach again. I half believed him about this time last year. I think if the Pies won the flag last year he'd happily retire as a four time premiership coach, so there is unfinished business.

Good luck to him I say. I was a bit disappointed in how it all panned out in the end when he left for him personally and not the club. In all honesty he only left because Eddie was worried North was going to get Bucks and then they struck that deal.

So Malthouse signed for three years.

I wish him all the best in taking Carlton to their next wooden spoon.

I have mixed feelings.

Obviously I have to welcome him.

But I don't blame Carlton haterz for hating to an even higher degree.

Tips:

Adelaide by 8
Collingwood

I just cannot decide who to tip for Adelaide vs Freo. Adelaide's got home ground advantage, and on paper is probably the slightly better team. But Talia's out, right? Is Dangerfield going to play? Freo's suddenly on a roll and got form, and earlier this year I predicted that Adelaide would be rolled out of the finals in straight sets - I'm halfway there, so maybe I should stick with that prediction.

I'm sure it'll be close no matter what!

I just cannot decide who to tip for Adelaide vs Freo. Adelaide's got home ground advantage, and on paper is probably the slightly better team. But Talia's out, right? Is Dangerfield going to play? Freo's suddenly on a roll and got form, and earlier this year I predicted that Adelaide would be rolled out of the finals in straight sets - I'm halfway there, so maybe I should stick with that prediction.

I'm sure it'll be close no matter what!

We should win. Should. The past two games against them showed we're a level above them. Danger will play but Talia's a pretty big loss.

St Kilda vs Sydney
Anzac Day
Westpac Stadium
WELLINGTON

This is actually pretty awesome. You NZers better get there!

I don't have much against soccer/football but yeah, NRL is just so second rate in comparison to AFL. Perhaps if AFL didn't exist it would be decently enjoyable, but I can't see the appeal in it if there's AFL next door.

Honestly, at the moment I'd probably take league over soccer. League may be repetitive and unimaginative, but at least points tend to get scored.

I think it's awesome that NZ is getting some footy, but I also feel like a traitor because I'd rather be here for Essendon vs Collingwood on Anzac Day :reject:

Still, I really hope it catches on!

I wouldn't be betting on more than 12,000.

New Zealand struggles to sell out All Blacks games. :lol:

Smaller cities and less disposable income are the main reasons. Wellington's population is just shy of 400,000; add in the Kapiti Coast, which is now essentially just a string of outer suburbs, and you get close to 450,000. Capacity of the Cake Tin is nominally 36,000, though All Blacks games of 34,000 have been called a "sell out". The Hurricanes have only drawn a crowd larger than 20,000 once in the last four seasons. I just did some Googling, and in the 2010-11 financial year, the Hurricanes' two largest crowds were 18,453 and 12,872! I think the Phoenix consider themselves pleased to crack 10,000, and very happy to pass 12,000.

And, honestly, the AFL just has an exceptional culture of live attendance compared to other codes. Perth is the same size as Auckland, yet sporting teams in Auckland can only dream of the attendance figures achieved by the AFL in Perth - despite the fact Auckland has more nearby outlying areas to bolster crowds.

With Saints and Swans fans flying in for the game, I'd hope the AFL can crack 15,000, but I imagine at least half of that figure will be Australians.

Anyway, my tips for this week:

Adelaide by 13
West Coast

Get your tips in, folks!

Unless I just overlooked them, I think we still need tips from Alison, Bonnie, Shepp Daniel, and Vlad.

Incidentally, it's technically still possible for me or Shepp Daniel to win the tournament. Travis simply has to get all five remaining games wrong, one of us has to get them all right, and Travis has to have worse margin predictions. So, uh, probably not going to happen.

You would have to go out of your way to pick differently in every match, which would be interesting, incidentally.

Robert Walls is tipping Freo by 20.

Suddenly I feel more confident about tipping Adelaide.

Back
Top Bottom