2011 MLB Thread - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LuckyNumber7 said:
Except that's not what headache was making a case out of.

Headache was making the case that a player can play well on a bad team in a small market and he doesn't give a shit because he'd rather have a pitcher putting up less than Cy Young numbers for a player who's got the un-measurable 'it'.

So... basically... you've got this magical talent curve if you pitch well in New York or Boston (hell, why even include Philadelphia if we're not gonna include LA?).

Headache was saying that statistics are in large part overrated and yes, I'd rather have the guy who's proven he can perform when the lights shine brightest than a guy with nice stats in a shitty market. Stats are a good tool in player evaluation. To use them as the only tool ignores that very real "it" factor, as in the psychological makeup and character of the player that, yes, has a lot to do with performance when it matters most, and performance in frenzied sports markets around the world.

Apparently to some that means I'd rather have Dillon gee than Felix Hernandez, so yea.

Obviously there's a scale... if someone's putting up cy young numbers in Boston vs someone in Kansas city putting up comparable numbers, maybe even slightly better, give me the guy who's doing it in Boston. If someone's putting up cy young numbers in pittsburgh vs mediocre numbers in philadelphia, I'll take the pitcher from pittsburgh.

Which brings us back to the original point of this entire conversation with the original poster back in the original thread... I hope Seattle is thrilled with Jason Vargas. I couldn't care less about not having a mediocre #3 or #4 pitcher, but if it makes you feel better that Seattle got the better of an all around shitty trade, more power to ya.

I disagree with LA being a large baseball market. There's a tremendous amount of indifference amongst the Los Angeles sports fanbase.

The unbearable heat throughout the continent might have something to do with a piping hot Dutch Oven.

Which brings us back to the original point of this entire conversation with the original poster back in the original thread... I hope Seattle is thrilled with Jason Vargas. I couldn't care less about not having a mediocre #3 or #4 pitcher, but if it makes you feel better that Seattle got the better of an all around shitty trade, more power to ya.

Which brings us back to the original point that you were trying to say that every single Met pitcher is better than other players with comparable stats simply because they play in New York and statistics mean nothing, which is false.

LuckyNumber7 said:
Which brings us back to the original point that you were trying to say that every single Met pitcher is better than other players with comparable stats simply because they play in New York and statistics mean nothing, which is false.

No, I never said that.

All I said was that I was happy with the performance of the Mets pitching staff, and that the "loss" of mediocre pitcher Jason Vargas really isn't that big a fucking deal, because putting up okay numbers for a team that is dog shit awful really doesn't impress me very much.

I'd be a fool to say any met pitcher is on the level of Felix Hernandez. Jason Vargas, however, can stroke me.

Colon's command was off today, but, jesus, he's got some filthy movement on his fastball. Over 1/2 the people he's K'd his season have struck out looking.

No spoken words said:
Colon's command was off today, but, jesus, he's got some filthy movement on his fastball. Over 1/2 the people he's K'd his season have struck out looking.

That two-seamer in on lefties is a thing of beauty.

In Hunter Pence's first at bat as a Phillie, he grounded one up the middle and beat it out, but was called out by Angel Hernandez (who sucks). He immediately reacted by ripping his helmet off and jumping up and down as he ran back to the bench, and Charlie ran out and gave Angel the business.

He knows the way to a Philly fan's heart.

PhilsFan said:
In Hunter Pence's first at bat as a Phillie, he grounded one up the middle and beat it out, but was called out by Angel Hernandez (who sucks). He immediately reacted by ripping his helmet off and jumping up and down as he ran back to the bench, and Charlie ran out and gave Angel the business.

He knows the way to a Philly fan's heart.

Hunter Pence was a great pick up. Angers me, but not as much as Nnamdi.

Today's installment of "what games will NSW watch via extra innings" features the Yanks, of course, but will involve a little flipping between that and the Verlander/Weaver matchup at 1:00pm ET.

Oh, and, Soriano returned to the mound last night....wouldn't suck if that dude, you know, actually pitched well down the stretch.

PFan, as you already know and others have commented on - great pick-up in Pence. I really admire Amaro's aggressiveness the last few years....you never know when your window is going to close, so, good for them for going for it yet again.

Of course, I fucking live in So Cal so I don't really need Extra Innings to see the Angels....so there's that.

Funny to watch Garcia pitch then switch over and see Verlander throw.

I evolved from cringing every Garcia start in April to actually looking forward to them now.

Verlander -

Was hitting 92-94 mph with his fastball in the first inning or two. In the 6th he was hitting 99 and 100.

Oh, and, he has a no-hitter through six.

ETA - No hits through seven now. I'm more or less sticking with this game and peeking in on the Yanks during commercials.

Weaver clearly lost it.

Edit: Ha, and now the Angels try to break the no-hitter with a bunt.

Errant throw on the bunt...play would have been very close at first, but of course the Angels broadcasters are claiming "home cooking" on the scoring of the play as an error.

Then a botched run-down leads to a run and will make Verlander work that much harder this inning......also, Guillen HR'd the inning before and stared Weaver down....Weaver then threw at the next batter, this after a warning was issued by the ump....so both managers and Weaver were tossed......giving Verlander even more time to get tight while sitting on the bench....

And Izturis singles to LF and the no-hitter is over.

Verlander's already had his no-hitter moment. Twice over. Good guy. But fuck him.

But, yes, I love Dalton with my entire body and soul.

PFan, as you already know and others have commented on - great pick-up in Pence. I really admire Amaro's aggressiveness the last few years....you never know when your window is going to close, so, good for them for going for it yet again.
The key to the whole thing has been that the Phillies have prospects other teams want. This team does have a high payroll, but it's hardly through free agent signings (really only Lee and Ibanez). Most of the team is either home grown or acquired by trading homegrown talent.

I've been inclined to say they have just drafted well, but a lot of their traded pieces have not panned out. I'm starting to think Amaro is just a really good negotiator, pushing all the right buttons.

And the relationship with Ed Wade has certainly helped.

I more was referring to deadline deals a few years in a row, and a willingness to part with said prospects instead of continually worrying about the future. And, of course, unless you have a high payroll, it doesn't matter how many prospects you have, as you'll be unable to take on salary. Teams like the Rays cannot trade for cats like Roy Halladay, but, regardless, the Phillies go out and do it and I admire them for taking advantage of their situation before the clock strikes midnight.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Amaro, he shows a willingness, year after year, to TRY to make the Phillies better now. Hence me mentioning his aggressiveness, not his track record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom