2011 AFL Thread - Melbourne: The suckiest sucks that ever sucked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I'm just saying my perception is skewed in the other direction, so it seems strange.

Though I will say that I quite enjoy evening sports, I just do. It's nice to settle in after a long day and get ready to watch such a huge event and party and what have you. That's just me.

No, that's fair enough, and like I said if a prime-time GF does happen one day, I won't mind. Stranger things etc., after all.

I'm going to be really premature and get the old tips going already, cause I can. Also, because frankly, it kind of looks like a shit round.

Saints vs Freo
Geelong vs Gold Coast
Carlton vs Melbourne
Essendon vs Sydney
Port vs Collingwood
Brisbane vs Adelaide
Hawks vs North
West Coast vs Richmond

Might I add that the weather is usually excellent on GF day, and an afternoon game makes the most of that fact. Yes, it's in Melbourne, we have to bring up the weather!

Yeah I'd say recently, aside from 2009 was a brutally cold/terrible/miserable Melbourne day (thank god the saints lost)

Might I add that the weather is usually excellent on GF day, and an afternoon game makes the most of that fact. Yes, it's in Melbourne, we have to bring up the weather!

It's hilarious to me that you say this, because the year that I went to the grand final, 2003, it was one of the most bitterly cold September days ever, and just to make it worse, our seats were in a right fucking wind tunnel. We were wrapped up in blankets and everything, it was so cold.

I honestly don't buy the tradition argument ... tradition's well and good, but that doesn't mean things shouldn't change, and if the entire rest of the finals is at night, it just seems silly that the grand final still seems to come from the pre-floodlights era.

Would be interested in the player perspective on day vs night games, since it seems to me that day games have much less consistent light on the field and are thus more awkward, while night games with their consistent level of light even the playing field and, in a small way, aid an equal contest. But I've obviously never played, so that's just a best guess that could be totally wrong.

To be fair Ax, you'd just come down from Queensland! That day was pretty cold though. Worst 3 quarters of footy I ever stayed to watch :wink:

Oh, and re: Melbourne, disgusted with the treatment Bailey copped ... judging by what I read, it sounds like Schwab should've been the one to go instead.

And let's get in on pick action too:

St Kilda vs Freo
Carlton vs Smellbourne
Geelong gonna rape Gold Coast
Essendon vs Sydney (I think Essendon's injury toll is just getting to be too much)
Port gonna also be raped by Collingwood
Brisbane vs Adelaide
Hawthorn vs North
West Coast vs Tigers

There was a survey once where players preferred day games, and why wouldn't they. Better playing conditions and frees up your nights.

Afternoon grand finals just work better than night grand finals. It's not so much tradition, but more about routine. Morning excitement, lunch and Pre-match kick to kick, post match reflections/drinks. It's much more kid friendly as well, with post-match parties/functions held in the evening and the like.

I actually find day games easier on the eye than night games, although the crap new roof they've got on the newer half of the MCG does cast a hideous reflection across the ground.

The idea of just going straight to bed after a grand final, like I did after the World Cup Final of '02, just didn't feel right.

The only tradition I'd be cool to break is the Saturday thing. How about a Monday/Wednesday public holiday afternoon game. More time for the match to be hyped and for the players to prepare. If it's good enough for meaningless crap like horse racing and the Queen's birthday, and the irrelevant Easter, It's good enough for an event half of Australia actually care about.

Would be interested in the player perspective on day vs night games, since it seems to me that day games have much less consistent light on the field and are thus more awkward, while night games with their consistent level of light even the playing field and, in a small way, aid an equal contest. But I've obviously never played, so that's just a best guess that could be totally wrong.

I know the cameras struggle going from deep shade to bright sunlight and back... I guess players' eyeballs are a bit more adaptable but it'd still be annoying.

Would all the different shadows in night games complicate matters, I wonder.

There was a survey once where players preferred day games, and why wouldn't they. Better playing conditions and frees up your nights.

Is that better playing conditions in terms of air temperature/dryness of the ground?

The only tradition I'd be cool to break is the Saturday thing. How about a Monday/Wednesday public holiday afternoon game. More time for the match to be hyped and for the players to prepare. If it's good enough for meaningless crap like horse racing and the Queen's birthday, and the irrelevant Easter, It's good enough for an event half of Australia actually care about.

Horse racing must have meant more in the days when they decided to give Cup Day its own holiday... I dunno if AFL means less now than the Melbourne Cup did then, or if giving sporting events a permanent public holiday is the sort of heady excess that belongs to a bygone era. Either way, I can't see it happening again! *L*

Players I can name from Brisbane (most I can't remember the first names of): Brown, Black, Ashley McGrath, and fuck that one guy who I can never remember the name of but is super awesome...:consults:...Ah, I never would've remembered I don't think, it was Mitchell Clark. Also, I'm fairly well aware of Matt Maguire as a player.

In contrast?

Patrick Karnezis? :hyper:

His hair reminds me of mine.

The Age claims that a deal hasn't been done: Crows attack 'ridiculously inflated' AFL market as they lose Davis

Greater Western Sydney Giants are denying they've agreed to terms with Phil Davis, even though the Adelaide youngster told the Crows he was leaving the club to join the new AFL entity.

The 20-year-old key defender has seemingly become the first player to join GWS from an existing AFL club, leaving the Crows after just 18 games.

But GWS chief executive Dale Holmes said it was in breach of AFL rules for them to come to officially agree to terms with Davis or his management before the end of the season.

So in other words, they've reached a verbal agreement that they will reach an official written agreement as soon as they can? Glad we've clarified that "deal hasn't been done" really means "deal is de facto done", The Age.

I feel kind of crap about this. You know, GWS, other clubs have good players too!

Davis had to clean out his locker today and now he has to pay for his rehabilitation, as in the shoulder injury he has. Good riddance!

I'm sure GWS will reimburse him!

Wonder how much poaching will go on by the time they actually play a game. Oh well, Vlad, at least you can take comfort that next year, no matter what happens to Adelaide, you won't finish in the bottom two: Port and GWS will be fighting it out for the wooden spoon.

Goddard and Scully would be some huge gets for West Sydney.. the kind of duo who can keep a club off the bottom, particularly if Scully blossoms that year. Depends on what other midfielders they poach. Gold Coast didn't poach as impressively as they might have.

Apparently we're throwing money at Clarkson big time. $800k, four years and security but I sincerely doubt he'd want to leave Hawthorn.

I don't really understand the point of poaching a coach that is already contracted at a club.

Forgot my picks this week, but caught it a few hours early:

St Kilda
Geelong
Carlton
Essendon
Collingwood
Brisbane
Hawthorn
West Coast

Pretty tough round. Essendon and Brisbane are a stretch, but I haven't thought highly of Sydney since the season started, and who the fuck knows who'll show up to play for Adelaide this week.

Late sorry..

St.Duthie
Geelong
Essadon
Carringbush
West Coast
Adelaide
Carlton
North Tasmania (Hawthorn) in the local derby.

It's easier to list Carlton players that didn't score a goal in that first half. :dance:

I was excited when I saw that we were having four matches tonight until I noticed that two of them were actually human sacrifices in disguise.

Oh my god, Geelong. As if the Gold Coast's percentage hadn't already sucked ...!

Shows how consistently clinical Collingwood are. They just wear opposition sides out, rather than just simply outclassing the weaker sides, like Geelong do.

336 points in two weeks, how good are we

I'm surprised to see you of all people under-stating your team's success! 233 + 188 = 421.

Oh wait, I just realised you were going for winning margin, not total points scored. Still, I think the 421 stat sounds even more impressive/insane. :wink:

If Port vs. Bye tells us anything, the Pies will have worn them out by quarter time. I doubt their 5-10 points will sustain them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom