2011 AFL Thread - Melbourne: The suckiest sucks that ever sucked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any reported difference in visibility in day vs. night matches?

It would be weird seeing a Grand Final at night, I must say.

If ever a team didn't deserve to be utterly destroyed, it's Essendon today. Brave fight, but come the final quarter, there wasn't much we could do with the team so depleted by injuries both before and throughout the game. I'm starting to wonder if there will even be a full 22 men to send out come the last round; the Bombers lose another couple of players just about every week!

About time you scored a win, Vladelaide!

I'm happy. I was expecting for us to roll over in the third quarter, and we somehow managed to win that quarter.

Pleasantly surprised by the crowd too.

I don't have Foxtel, unfortunately, so I won't be able to "Friggin' Cobbler" at your letter.

5 Winners this week, I think I've been keeping you up to date, danny?

There were some pretty terrible Essendon supporters at the game yesterday, I think they sometimes stand/sit in the Collingwood members just to cause trouble, but the old sayin' it ain't over till the fat lady sings 15 minutes into the second quarter rings true, Hope they enjoyed their humble Pie(mauling) after half time.

Dean Bailey :(

.. and with that any appreciation or respect that I might have had for the Melbourne Demons has been extinguished.

I hope the club folds

Melbourne is now a classic case of the coach copping it when the players are the ones who failed and need to be held responsible.

I feel sorry for him, its not his players don't give a fuck. Who are they playing this week? They'll probably do the whole win with a new coach thing.

Dean Bailey :(

.. and with that any appreciation or respect that I might have had for the Melbourne Demons has been extinguished.

I hope the club folds

As long as it doesn't merge with Hawthorn! :panic:

(Not that that's at all likely now that Hawthorn is winning more. I hope. I see a lot of membership stickers on the backs of cars, anyway!)

I feel sorry for him, its not his players don't give a fuck. Who are they playing this week? They'll probably do the whole win with a new coach thing.

Well, it sort of worked for Adelaide...

But yeah, I found it sort of interesting, the contrast between Adelaide's change of coach and Melbourne's. Did Craig resign because he thought he'd be sacked if they lost another one? Did Melbourne sack Bailey before he had a chance to resign? Can anyone tell how much blame should be apportioned to the coach vs. the players in either case? My housemate claims that Melbourne has "a good list" this year so it must be the coach's fault they got mauled... That seems overly simplistic to me, but then I haven't been paying attention to how Melbourne's been doing this year. I do have to wonder if even Gold Coast could have put up more of a fight though... Was Geelong THAT good on the day that no one could have withstood them?

Mick Malthouse has always said the buck stops with him. At the end of the day someone has to get the arse. You can't sack and hire players in the middle of the season in the AFL (unlike many other sports) so if anyone has to go it's usually the coaching staff.

Craig walked because he realised that the game had passed him by and his methods weren't working anymore. I get the feeling that Bailey was pushed.

bono_man2002 said:

Carlton. They can/will have to save that shit for another week. :wink:

Didn't Craig have a winning record as a coach? Melbourne just isn't a very talented team.

Craig was able to get the best out of his list in the past, but it just hasn't worked since the pies knocked them out of the finals in 2008 & 2009. In other words, what Vlad said.

Didn't Craig have a winning record as a coach? Melbourne just isn't a very talented team.

Yes, we made the finals in his first 5 years, with two top 4 finishes in 2005/2006, two years in which we very well could have won the premiership. The last two years have been pretty bad though, hence he eventually walked.

Bailey was given the toughest job in football. Like Hardwick, his task is to rebuild a team from scratch for long term success. There are always gonna be hiccups along the journey. Next year could have been their blossoming as a top 5 side.

As demoralising as the loss was to Geelong, they weren't necessarily going backwards this season. They were still in contention for finals, for fuck's sake. By sacking Bailey, they are now at square one again. Bailey won't coach at AFL level again :( such a shame. Well done Demons! They deserve to go to shit after this.

Craig's exiting is different. He left with dignity. A quality coach who just couldn't get results with what he had at his disposal, and that is a super talented list. He MAY find himself in a senior role again (or at least when clubs stop signing "celebrity" coaches like James Turd and Buckley). Adelaide needed a new vision, therefore a new coach with new management skills.

Bailey had a plan, a vision he was building towards, but the pathetic Melboune board were to gutless to allow him to follow through, too eager to appease the noisy ignoramuses that are Demon fans, the most fairweather fans in the AFL.

Three, in fact.

Brisbane vs Port Adelaide, 04

As a new fan to the AFL, you must realize how hilarious I found this.

See, I can't wait for the day that the grand final becomes a night game like almost every other big clash. I've got to be honest, day games always come across to me as just appearing amateurish, not due to the play but it just seems sort of like a kiddie thing. I guess that comes from the fact that when it comes to rugby, lower rung games (like provincial games) are often during the day, while the big international Tests are always at night, and that mentality of the big games being at night is hard to shake, especially when so many in AFL fall at night, including almost all of the finals series.

Plus day games just look far worse on telly than a nice floodlit match.

The idea of a sporting final in the middle of the day just seems all kinds of wrong.

As you said, it feels like a lesser sport to me. A women's sport :)wink: ) would have their final in the daytime. AFL's Grand fucking Final should be in the prime time.
As demoralising as the loss was to Geelong, they weren't necessarily going backwards this season. They were still in contention for finals, for fuck's sake. By sacking Bailey, they are now at square one again. Bailey won't coach at AFL level again :( such a shame. Well done Demons! They deserve to go to shit after this.

All of this. I wish nothing but straight losses to Melbourne the rest of the season. That was some grade A bullshit.

Players I can name from Brisbane (most I can't remember the first names of): Brown, Black, Ashley McGrath, and fuck that one guy who I can never remember the name of but is super awesome...:consults:...Ah, I never would've remembered I don't think, it was Mitchell Clark. Also, I'm fairly well aware of Matt Maguire as a player.

In contrast?
Green Bay Packers I can name: Bulaga, Clay Matthews, Aaron Rodgers, Popinga (though I think we traded him), Nick Barnett (I knwo we traded him), Nick Collins, Donald Driver, Jermichael Finley, Ryan Grant, Jordy Nelson, A.J. Hawk, Mason Crosby, And that's about it (and a good number of them are Defense lol) EDIT: Oh Jeez, forgot one of my favorite players: Greg Jennings. Also forgot Charles Woodson. Oh well, I wrote this post pretty fast.

I won't even bother naming the Chicago Cubs because it's almost the entire roster. The reason I bring this up is because I've only started seriously following the NFL in the last few seasons, though I've been a fan all my life. So I'm showing, comparison wise, I'm not doing so bad on AFL names :lol:. Now if only I could watch a few more next season, that would be great!

I understand that you guys see a daytime final is being kind of weird, but... for most AFL fans, it's just right. Lunch, then the GF and an evening of celebration is just natural and as much a part of AFL tradition as any other. I'm not saying I'm opposed to the idea of a prime time final, and as you know I'm also not opposed to the GF being moved around the country once other states have relatively suitable stadiums, i.e. the Superbowl. Tradition doesn't automatically mean right. But I can't see daytime being wrong because it seems girly or amateur or what have you. I'm sure you can forgive me for not finding that the most convincing argument. ;)

Might I add that the weather is usually excellent on GF day, and an afternoon game makes the most of that fact. Yes, it's in Melbourne, we have to bring up the weather!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom