2010 World Cup Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Argentina vs Germany: I foresee a lot of fouls and yellow cards as the defenders from each team perform their job to stop the attacks. Lahm usually has clean tackles. Mertesacker is getting very good in the middle too. I don't know whether they're going to get outrun by Messi and Higuain or not.

It's so weird to see Demichelis as Argentina's centerback... I'm so used to seeing him in Bayern's jersey, I thought he is German. I still like Ayala better, but he'll do a great job shutting Klose out.

Oh damn, forgot about the other player hitting the ball. That looks like a slight offside to me. But true, from those angles it's not visible.

They also tested the referees' view at the England goal. From where they were positioned and the angles it was not clearly visible to them if the ball dropped onto the line or behind. They were just too far. So for such situations, the only way to make sure if a ball is in or not is to have either someone on the goalline, or modern technology.
The rule is, if in doubt it's not a goal.

Actually, the offside looked quite clear when I saw it on TV. It was not close. Villa was offside by almost 1 meter.

More like 1 foot

Linesmen have to make split second decisions without replay and trying to see through bodies

This was a commonplace call

If Capodevila had been Italian he'd be being crucified here in the peanut gallery of the once-every-4-years-experts

He ought to be banned for the rest of the tournament.

Especially loved the part when he's getting up, checks out who's looking his way then goes BACK to ground for a few more rolls around the ground.

Here's how the BBC described it: "Capdevila's behaviour, on the other hand, is abhorrent - he goes down as if he's been killed, moves to get up a second later, and then goes down again as if he's been killed when he sees the referee coming over. It's disgusting."

No outcry, he's not Italian.

Oh this sucks:

FIFA.com - Elano's a miss for Brazil

Brazil will be without Elano for Friday's FIFA World Cup™ quarter-final against the Netherlands.

The team's medical staff said the former Manchester City midfielder has not recovered from an ankle injury and could be out for the rest of the tournament.

Elano, 29, suffered the injury in a challenge by Côte d'Ivoire defender Cheik Tiote in Brazil's 3-1 win and limped out of a training session yesterday.

Brazil's team doctor Jose Luiz Runco told reporters: "I'm not saying that he won't be able to play again at this World Cup but he won't be ready for Friday.

"He has bad bruising and it was after he trained on Sunday that he said that he was having problems.

"The bone is swollen and we have to release the pressure on it so he will do nothing strenuous for the rest of the week."

"We still hope he can play next week but I can't say that he will be able to categorically."

I don't recall the specific play, but Football is a contact sport and sometimes players get hurt in perfectly legal challenges.

A harsh tackle is preferable to the disgraceful antics of Keita and Capdevila imho

i'm officially rooting for paraguay

WORLD CUP 2010: Model Larissa Riquelme promises home strip with a difference if Paraguay triumph | Mail Online

article-1290583-0A2FD6C7000005DC-614_634x469.jpg

article-1290583-0A42143D000005DC-260_306x499.jpg

who's with me?

i didn't realize that chick was a lingerie model. i posted a couple of her pics in the last thread.

she looks incredible in jeans

Oh, was there a world cup in 2007 or are you just putting up random sports related violence stuff now ?

You're not that fucking stupid, are you? Maybe you are. Last time I checked, the Laker related violence did not occur at the World Cup either.

Either way, good luck to you and your hard on for American sports.

I'm very glad it calmed down again, but around 2007 the violence between serie A fans was extreme. They even contemplated closing down the league for one season.

Can we keep this thread to talk about teams that are still in the World Cup? Please?

No game today. :(
I have withdrawal symptoms.

Instead, I saw an interesting documentary about the Euro 2008 tournament. It was called Kill The Referee and focused on the referees (with the directors having unrestricted access). Very interesting to see the reactions of the referees after a good match (there's just as much cheering going on in their dressing rooms). And the big egos some of them have. Some can give Cristiano Ronaldo a run for his money. The most interesting thing (to me) were when they showed video of a game, but with the sound of the headsets the referees have. Very interesting to hear how they are communicating with each other and how they (the assistants) guide the referee.

Back
Top Bottom