2010 World Cup Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guus Hiddink: Ozil's German Passport is Fake

Incredible affirmation of Turkey's coach, Guus Hiddink confirmed that if it were plunged into chaos as Germany and the African World. "The German passport of Mezut Ozil is a fake- admits former Chelsea coach;" The document was falsified to allow Ozil to play in the German national team. "

:ohmy:

Wasn't he born in Germany?

All I know is that he was born in Germany and there was quite a "fight" between the two countries to get him play for them. They both tried to convince him to play for them. In the end, he decided in favour of Germany. I think he said he always felt like a German rather than Turkish. Don't think there's any validity to that claim whatsoever.

in the end - he went for the euros

beautiful_portugal_football_fans.jpg

Portuguese friends have fun tonight
tomorrow night will be different.

The controversy is none, it's just a false translation:
"Schade, dass Özil sich für den falschen Pass entschieden hat. Er ist ein moderner Fußballspieler, den ich in meinem Team gut gebrauchen könnte. Deutschland hat jetzt eine ganz andere Spielkultur. Durch die neuen Typen, die leicht spielen, kann man jetzt auch Deutschland genießen." (Guus Hiddink)

Meaning, "It's a pity Özil has decided for the wrong passport. He's a modern football player I could need in my team [he's now coaching the Turkish national team]. Germany now has a whole different style. Due to the new guys who make the game so easy one can now enjoy Germany play."

No fake passport, he just missed Özil for his squad.

Apparently his father already had a German passport when Özil was born. By law, he is a German since he was born. In 2007 he even gave up his Turkish passport. Before he had both the Turkish and the German.

I have an honest question, and I'd like an honest answer.

First, I will admit that Italian players have a propensity to dive. It's been obvious to me for years.

But I'd like to know where this stereotype of Italian divers comes from, when they're not the only one? During the Brazil-Chile game today, I noted several instances of blatant dives. Watch tomorrow's game and you will notice that several Portuguese players will go down like they were shot.

The truth is that unfortunately diving is practised by all teams, some more than others, and some only do it one or two instances per game.

So then why is it so easy to point the finger at Italy when they're not the only ones?

First, I will admit that Italian players have a propensity to dive. It's been obvious to me for years.

But I'd like to know where this stereotype of Italian divers comes from, when they're not the only one? During the Brazil-Chile game today, I noted several instances of blatant dives. Watch tomorrow's game and you will notice that several Portuguese players will go down like they were shot.

The truth is that unfortunately diving is practised by all teams, some more than others, and some only do it one or two instances per game.

So then why is it so easy to point the finger at Italy when they're not the only ones?

Because people don't watch the game on an ongoing basis.

It's like when every 4 years everyone becomes a swimming/gymnastics/track expert during the olympics.

They take what they've been fed and run with it.

Anyone who's been watching champions league, epl, serie a etc as well as world cups of days gone by knows Italians are no worse than the Portugese (#1 offenders, especially that prick Ronaldo), Africans (ummm, WHO got Kaka sent off ?), S.Americans in general, Eastern europeans,

Man utd have a master-diver in Paul Scholes, and it's pretty much done by everyone to varying degrees. The Turks are another egregious offender.

Oh, and yes, even the hallowed brazilians on the club level do their fair share.

It's like continuing to call the Cowboys crooks when other teams like the Bengals have probably more felons on their team than the Cowboys ever did.

Everyone dives and everyone complains about diving (including Italians). What matters is getting video replay technology in the hands of referees so it can be punished either way.

nowhere near enough time to sift through the previous posts, but i just wanted to add my sympathy for England. i know we mock them constantly, but christ it is a downright disgrace that technology wasn't used to give England that equaliser.

Everyone dives and everyone complains about diving (including Italians). What matters is getting video replay technology in the hands of referees so it can be punished either way.

i don't know if video technology is all that vital, implementation can be a bitch. i reckon most of the problems would be solved by another two assistant referees on the goal lines with less head scratching on how to make it work.

and re: italy copping so much shit for diving, there's a good reason (imo). while the brazilians and portuguese*, amongst others, do it too, they usually still play an exciting, go-forward brand of football, so they aren't flopping around most of the time and then retreating back in defence. it looks worse for italy because they're perfectly capable of playing brilliant football - look at them when they went desperately behind against slovakia. instead of playing attractive football their first game plan is hit the turf. it doesn't exonerate anyone else, but it's a worse look.

* the portuguese are also a negative pack of bastards, but it's perception

i don't know if video technology is all that vital, implementation can be a bitch. i reckon most of the problems would be solved by another two assistant referees on the goal lines with less head scratching on how to make it work.

I still think there is too much room for human error (especially with diving, offsides and quick near goaline goals). It's used in other sports and could be given as a option for players and coaches to make eg. 5 requests to look at the video for confirmation or some other adequate number. It's used in other sports and nobody complains about the time it takes and I'm sure England wouldn't care about the time it takes to check a goal or a ref to check if Kaka did decapitate an Ivory Coast player or not. As long as it's not used for every small play but only for crucial ones it will help the sport gain in North America which already long ago uses this technology. People want to see fair play. The audience would love to see lots of red cards to train the players to stop diving. It's nauseating to see FIFA refuse to answer questions and to block replays in the stadium. It looks like some corrupt Vatican trying to hide something (nevermind TV watchers will know the truth).

We just need Blatter to retire and then there will be an improvement. Almost everyone is screaming for the use of video technology but that one man says no and it's no. That is unacceptable.

Blatter now says they will have to discuss video technology or the chip inside the ball again due to the calls on Sunday, and other questionable showings, and that it's not a five star tournament for the neutrals.
Let's see if it will be more than just talking.

OMG, we are officially screwed! We might as well not play on Saturday... :lmao:

I cannot believe people give any sort of credit to this stuff... Anyway...

Psychic octopus predicts Germany will beat Argentina
Jun 29, 2010, 13:00 GMT

Oberhausen, Germany - German football fans have another reason to hope ahead of their team's World Cup quarter-final showdown with Argentina as Paul the octopus has tipped Germany to win.

'Extremely tight - but luckily a win for Germany in the end,' said those in charge of the octopus tank at Aquarium Sea Life in Oberhausen.

The handlers of the psychic octopus baited glass cubes with mussels marked with both Germany and Argentina. The mussel Paul first chooses is viewed by the handlers as its prediction for the up-coming game.

Paul headed directly to the German side but waited a long before finally grabbing at it - more than an hour later.

For those sceptical of Paul's accuracy, he has been right four out of four times so far, picking Germany to beat Australia, Ghana and England as well as Germany's loss to Serbia.

and re: italy copping so much shit for diving, there's a good reason (imo). while the brazilians and portuguese*, amongst others, do it too, they usually still play an exciting, go-forward brand of football, so they aren't flopping around most of the time and then retreating back in defence. it looks worse for italy because they're perfectly capable of playing brilliant football - look at them when they went desperately behind against slovakia. instead of playing attractive football their first game plan is hit the turf. it doesn't exonerate anyone else, but it's a worse look.

In my honest opinion it's because in the recent World Cups, when the Italians are diving, they have been able to milk it to their advantage. While my boss may call it smart tactic, I think that's the biggest offense at this level of football. They don't need to resort to that type of play if they're confident in their talent. When the Italians are ahead, you only see good football from them. But when they're trailing and they get behind, then the frustration comes out, and you see this diving and fouling, provoking opponents and dirty tackles. The Italians may not dive often, but when these certain players do, somehow they do it very obviously, or they get something to their advantage. So of course people noticed. And because they don't do it all the time, the refs normally give them the benefit of the doubt, thus giving pk's or yellow cards against the opponent. Then through replay we found out they were faking it. So of course people will remember it.

Whereas with the Brazilian and Portuguese players, the refs are usually on to them for their reputation of diving, and will only gesture for the player to get up, or even enforcing yellow cards against them. And this reputation is sometimes to their detriment, when even valid fouls were not called because it looked like they dived.

I follow league matches as well, though more of La Liga instead of EPL and Serie A. People come up with this label not because they only follow international matches. International matches and league matches are two totally different animals. Reputation and labels are usually assigned to individuals (rightfully so) or nationalities, but not clubs. You know, I've heard things like CRonaldo or Ronaldinho or Robben is a diver, and Portuguese or Italians are divers. But not Barcelona or Lazio players are divers. Clubs are not someone's identity. Nationalities are. The players who dive during international matches (like Euro or the World Cup) are going to be on jumbotrons and headlines everywhere. If you're gonna dive while wearing your country's name on your chest, be prepared to have people stereotype and criticize your country.

OMG, we are officially screwed! We might as well not play on Saturday... :lmao:

I cannot believe people give any sort of credit to this stuff... Anyway...

Psychic octopus predicts Germany will beat Argentina
Jun 29, 2010, 13:00 GMT

Oberhausen, Germany - German football fans have another reason to hope ahead of their team's World Cup quarter-final showdown with Argentina as Paul the octopus has tipped Germany to win.

'Extremely tight - but luckily a win for Germany in the end,' said those in charge of the octopus tank at Aquarium Sea Life in Oberhausen.

The handlers of the psychic octopus baited glass cubes with mussels marked with both Germany and Argentina. The mussel Paul first chooses is viewed by the handlers as its prediction for the up-coming game.

Paul headed directly to the German side but waited a long before finally grabbing at it - more than an hour later.

For those sceptical of Paul's accuracy, he has been right four out of four times so far, picking Germany to beat Australia, Ghana and England as well as Germany's loss to Serbia.

you're capable of understanding what light hearted means, right?

you're capable of understanding what light hearted means, right?

But of course, and that is exactly the reason behind the laughing smiley...

Now I am questioning whether the octopus simply went to the German side because it has seen the German flag more times and simply finds it more familiar...

:lmao:

Anyone who's been watching champions league, epl, serie a etc as well as world cups of days gone by knows Italians are no worse than the Portugese (#1 offenders, especially that prick Ronaldo), Africans (ummm, WHO got Kaka sent off ?), S.Americans in general, Eastern europeans,

i am always surprised how every two years (euro and wc) portugal continues to be honoured with the hate of a vast majority here, even this year when we have the worst team of the past 15 years ...

... bad luck also to get a great team as spain at this stage ... we probably will be defeated tonight ... if only we had the luck to get an easy team like england we would be celebrating tonight the usual victory over them in a major tournament and our presence in the quarters.

as for diving, facts are:
1 - cr7 got a yellow card after being kicked and agressed by embe from ivory coast.
2 - the most efficient dive of the tournament was obviously from Torres. Good luck for him of not being portuguese (and bad luck for us as he is a great player) to be completly unnoticed by the usual frustrated english loosing squad of diving analysts from interefernce during the usual post england defeat period.

Back
Top Bottom