2010 FIFA World Cup! Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait for the World Cup!! Literally the best month ever (apart from when England invariably get knocked out on penalties.....)

Spains team is actually frightening. Argentina would probably be joint favourites if they didn't have such an utter clown for a manager.

You should be careful not to underestimate Maradonna. Not that the German team is especially strong, but playing against them they didn't stand a chance. He had a great tactic as well. I do agree, he is a (sad) clown, but he's certainly not stupid.

watch

Properly getting in the mood now.... :hyper:

If Maradona wins the World Cup I honestly think it'll be a fluke. Somehow Argentina chanced their way through qualifying, getting thrashed 6-1 by Bolivia en route and scoring with the last kick of the game against Peru to scrape through.

He's got some wonderful players at his disposal and if Argentina were to win the World Cup it will be down to their individual brilliance and not his "tactics", if you can call them that.

Having said that, when me and some mates did our WC bet I picked them out of the hat so i've got a nice little sum of money waiting for me if they do win! :lol:

I can't wait for the World Cup!!
THIS!! :up:

Spains team is actually frightening. Argentina would probably be joint favourites if they didn't have such an utter clown for a manager.
Spain has a team filled with talented players. Great goalkeeper, solid defense, agile midfielders and hard-working strikers. They just need great tactics in defeating their opponents. Hopefully del Bosque will bring that. I'm rooting for this team.

I think Argentina can win too. Yeah, someone mentioned to me that Maradona is their coach and I was like, ok do I want them to win or not here? They're also a team full of talents, AND their players are still hard-working, which is a good trait to have.

Brazil has talented players, but a few of their players have superstar status, and sometimes that can be damaging to a team. Who's their coach this year?

Portugal has always been the underdog, but if they pull shit like they did in 2006, they can end up in one of the top spots, however controversial it would end up being.

Italy also has great players, but their style is just not going to survive if they go against fast-paced teams like Brazil or England. Will they be lucky again this year? We'll see.

If Maradona wins the World Cup I honestly think it'll be a fluke. Somehow Argentina chanced their way through qualifying, getting thrashed 6-1 by Bolivia en route and scoring with the last kick of the game against Peru to scrape through.

He's got some wonderful players at his disposal and if Argentina were to win the World Cup it will be down to their individual brilliance and not his "tactics", if you can call them that.

Having said that, when me and some mates did our WC bet I picked them out of the hat so i've got a nice little sum of money waiting for me if they do win! :lol:

Oh well, in Germany they were talking the same way, and suddenly it didn't come down to the players' individual brilliance alone. :shrug:

:lol: I won't attribute their success to him at all.

But their failure would be completely his fault. ;)

I don't see him as greatest coach ever, and you are also right in pointing out their qualification games. But I guess it'd be too simple to simply write him off for his personal problems (of which he has/had quite a lot).
In any case, Argentina would probably be the first team in history to be successful without a coach. :wink:

I just wouldn't hold my breath. I guess with him it's 50:50 that they will either rule, or get kicked out in first round. Wouldn't be a surprise. In the past years we have seen so many top teams getting beaten by seemingly weak opponents. (Statistically, 45 percent of matches are won by the underdog ;)). Maybe the game against Germany was just the odd one. Who knows. All I know is, I wouldn't write him off only because as a person he's a bit weird. A great success by the German team would be more upsetting than them. Yet, even though quality-wise we are one of the weakest somehow we almost always make it far.
But I like watching other teams more. I'd be happy for Spain, Portugal or the Netherlands simply because I liked their performances during the last Euro very much. They play a wonderful soccer, nice to watch. But of course, it's not a beauty contest.

But their failure would be completely his fault. ;)
:yes:
what about Holland/The Netherlands/insert name here?

The Oranje? Last WC I rooted for them (because of their coach, Van Basten) and then had the heartbreak to watch them fall prey to Portugal's game of emotions. :angry: Probably why I'm bitter about Portugal... Man, that was one weird game... I don't even want to watch a replay of it.

This year's team is a quiet threat. I just read they're one of the teams who don't have many injuries coming to this World Cup. But I don't get the feeling that they're hungry for the Cup. I'm glad they left out van Nistelrooy in favor of Babel, van Persie. I don't know enough about their defense, but that Ooijer guy is pretty tall as a center back.

They played wonderfully at the Euro, and have a strong team. But this time, they need to manage their stamina better. During the Euro, you could see that in the game against Russia they didn't have enough power anymore to dominate the game.
But other than that, they should have a strong team.

That's true, when they play as individuals it won't go well. I think it's pretty much the team of 2008. I think they formed a good team back then. If they keep up that spirit and play together they can get far.

This year's team is a quiet threat. I just read they're one of the teams who don't have many injuries coming to this World Cup. But I don't get the feeling that they're hungry for the Cup.

We're always hungry for the Cup! :)

Holland are just as much a massive set of bottlers as England are to be fair (Euro 88 notwithstanding....). If Robben keeps up his form for Bayern then they'll have a real potent weapon to throw at the rest of the world. The question remains whether they have the temprament to go with their talent.

i was reading they've got a team full of individuals, which has never helped.

No, I don't think 'we' have a team full of indivuals. Yes, there's a lot of individual quality (Van Persie, Sneijder and Robben are excelling at their club teams to just highlight the offense), but they can (and also want to) play together as a team (OK, maybe not Robben...). I also think the current coach (Van Marwijk) is good at creating a team. I think the qualifications also show this, partially (with the team having a clean sheet). Hopefully it will all come together for once (OK, twice as the first time was Euro '88).

No, I don't think 'we' have a team full of indivuals. Yes, there's a lot of individual quality (Van Persie, Sneijder and Robben are excelling at their club teams to just highlight the offense), but they can (and also want to) play together as a team (OK, maybe not Robben...). I also think the current coach (Van Marwijk) is good at creating a team. I think the qualifications also show this, partially (with the team having a clean sheet). Hopefully it will all come together for once (OK, twice as the first time was Euro '88).

Agree with this, they played with real purpose and unity during Euro 2008 (before van Marwijk) and legitimately lost to a red-hot Russia team.

The sheep will be firing on Monday, apparently going in with a full strength side, could take the game right up to us.

My prediction for the final has been Spain vs Netherlands for some while now.

Dunno who is less likely to progress, North Korea or New Zealand.

North have a pretty stingy and well organised defence which could frustrate any of their opponents, despite how tough their group is.

well, tonight confirms it. australia = also-rans.

100+ years of australia vs nz sport summed up. new zealand totally dominate for a half and lead, australia equalise and then new zealand defend brilliantly only to stop playing with 15 seconds to go.

it took a bunch of fresh legs from the fucking a-league for australia to score once, let alone twice. not to mention a real team would have scored six on australia in the first half alone.

well, tonight confirms it. australia = also-rans.

100+ years of australia vs nz sport summed up. new zealand totally dominate for a half and lead, australia equalise and then new zealand defend brilliantly only to stop playing with 15 seconds to go.

it took a bunch of fresh legs from the fucking a-league for australia to score once, let alone twice. not to mention a real team would have scored six on australia in the first half alone.

tissue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom