2010 FIFA World Cup! Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should make the second round. If they play well, wouldn't be too surprised to see them get to the final eight, but it would be a high expectation. Anything deeper than that is a miracle.

I think making the 2nd round for Australia would be a minor miracle in itself.

Agreed on Australia. I was talking about the US in my comment, as I assumed that's what GAF meant by "we", but in hindsight, it being GAF, "we" could be any number of things.

Yeah, US should make it to 2nd round, but I don't see them getting any further as they'll likely play the winner of Germany/Ghana group

i think we're at least a chance of making it to the second round. not a great chance, but a chance.

Italy have actually been on the wrong end of penalty shootouts in the World cup more often than not. Lost the 1990 semi-Final and the 1994 Final that way.

i was referring to Italy v Australia, 2006.

Australia's a fine team. They're fourth best in their group, but certainly capable of pulling an upset or two.

The only game I can make is Portugal/Korea on the 21st of June, but that one seems to be sold out.

That's unfortunate, because Portugal will probably score 10 goals on North Korea.

i think we're at least a chance of making it to the second round. not a great chance, but a chance.

i was referring to Italy v Australia, 2006.

Australia had over 40 minutes (IIRC) of being a man up and STILL had fewer real scoring chances in the game than Italy. Only one the entire time they were a man up.

Plus it was a completely bogus Red Card.

Sorry dude, if you can't win being a man up you just weren't the better team.

Here's some reminders of how the game went:

watch

watch

You Australians still complaining over *that* match v. Italy?

It was 4 years ago for god's sakes. :doh:

yes Vlad, i am still complaining and you better believe it.

Australia had over 40 minutes (IIRC) of being a man up and STILL had fewer real scoring chances in the game than Italy. Only one the entire time they were a man up.

Plus it was a completely bogus Red Card.

Sorry dude, if you can't win being a man up you just weren't the better team.

Here's some reminders of how the game went:

well first of all, you broke the thread. :wink:

second of all, valid points you make, and yes accuse me of bias, but the "trip", the dive, the penalty, the goal that saw Italy through was pretty poor, and i still don't let go of it four years on.

but i'll be quiet, and focus on 2010, and just hope that it's played well by all involved. i can't wait :)

yes Vlad, i am still complaining and you better believe it.

well first of all, you broke the thread. :wink:

I'm kind of a klutz huh ?

second of all, valid points you make, and yes accuse me of bias, but the "trip", the dive, the penalty, the goal that saw Italy through was pretty poor, and i still don't let go of it four years on.

but i'll be quiet, and focus on 2010, and just hope that it's played well by all involved. i can't wait :)

Oh, I'm biased too, so I take the view that the marginal call balanced the call earlier in the game. As convinced as you are that it wasn't a penalty, I'm equally convinced, given how the 2 teams were playing, that had Italy not had a man erroneously sent off early on that the game would have been wrapped up long before the 4th minute of injury time.

But yes, it's 2010, and I hate to say it but I reckon it's a 2nd round exit for Italy and a 1st round exit for Australia, no hope for a rematch. Too bad.

Verbeek's been great, dull but efficient... we'll seriously trouble Germany and Ghana. Serbia will be the toughest opponent, what a well-balanced squad they've got and what a defence! Looking forward to it.

England vs Australia second round, we'd probably win.

Verbeek's been great, dull but efficient... we'll seriously trouble Germany and Ghana. Serbia will be the toughest opponent, what a well-balanced squad they've got and what a defence! Looking forward to it.

Really, I mean they're slow starters but really? You'd be lucky to lose 2-0 in my mind.

the biggest problem for australia is pim verbeek. given the quality of some of the australian players there's no just cause for them to play the dull football he's got them playing now.

Yep, Pim doesn't play attractive football at all. But he gets results.

27 days to go :applaud:

Really, I mean they're slow starters but really? You'd be lucky to lose 2-0 in my mind.

You are more optimistic than I am. :wink: Though, I love Australia, so I wouldn't mind them winning, even.

Ballack out. Germany's odds just got a little longer.

Hm, it's a shame it's due to an injury that he is out, but I also see the upside. The team's so much relied on his performance. If he played bad, the team played bad. And they always seemed to rest on that. Now that he won't be there at all, they cannot just rely on him and will have to show that they are capable of playing decent games themselves. I wasn't too impressed by his performances in the previous matches.
I don't see them get far this time. On the other hand, they have surprised the previous cups, too.
It's a shame how some people here are now going against Boateng. Many people say he did it on purpose, because he's playing for Ghana. What bullshit.

It's a shame how some people here are now going against Boateng. Many people say he did it on purpose, because he's playing for Ghana. What bullshit.

I actually haven't seen the footage of the tackle, but these things can't possibly be done on purpose... soccer strategies are only for games currently being played :D

I am bummed that Ballack will be out. In the past he's always shined as captain of the German squad. He's a decent playmaker in the 2006 WC, and yes, a good leader for the team. He stepped up a lot more playing for Germany rather than in Chelsea. Who's captain of Germany now? Frings?

Regarding the future World Cup bid, I think Australia should be given a chance to host. I'd love for it to go to the US, but I wouldn't be so heartbroken if it went to Australia. It's the only continent that's never hosted a WC yet...

That's true. :D

I was never that impressed with his overall play. He had his moments of shine, but overall he often wasn't that much of the dominant player. On the contrary, some games you could hardly see him, and suddenly the whole team didn't play well. I think we have quite some players who can fill in.
Frings isn't nominated, and it's very unlikely that he will be. It could be Klose, Schweinsteiger or Lahm most likely.

Australia hosting the World Cup would definitely be pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom