2010 FIFA World Cup Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:doh: soo close. I was pulling for Nigeria. They fell just short in each game. I hope they'll continue to improve their team.

Congrats to S Korea! Koreatown here in LA will be buzzing. We crashed one of their viewing parties at espn zone and they know how to cheer! I might have to crash another viewing for Saturdays game against Uruguay!
I'm sure N Korea's ruler is livid. :giggle:

Karim Benzema and Samir Nasri must be thanking their lucky stars they didn't make the cut for the French team.

My god I bet Yakubu didn't get much sleep last night. That miss could go down as the worst world cup miss ever. And they'd have gone through if he'd scored.

They said the game North Korea - Portugal was the first game ever to be broadcast live in North Korea. The commentator stopped speaking eventually, don't remember after which goal. Directly after the game was over the screen went black.

My god I bet Yakubu didn't get much sleep last night. That miss could go down as the worst world cup miss ever. And they'd have gone through if he'd scored.
I imagine he'll be kicking himself quite a lot today. Such an easy chance, I still don't get how he managed to miss it.

They said the game North Korea - Portugal was the first game ever to be broadcast live in North Korea. The commentator stopped speaking eventually, don't remember after which goal. Directly after the game was over the screen went black.

Ouch, wrong game to air! :lol:

So this afternoon Slovenia - England and USA - Algeria at 4pm.
Tonight Ghana - Germany and Australia Serbia at 8.30pm.

It'll be interesting to see if England is FINALLY going to play on a decent level. And I'm rooting for Ghana as they're the only african team left with a chance to advance.

It'd be interesting to see a YouTube of this, although highly unlikely.

So this afternoon Slovenia - England and USA - Algeria at 4pm.
Tonight Ghana - Germany and Australia Serbia at 8.30pm.

It'll be interesting to see if England is FINALLY going to play on a decent level. And I'm rooting for Ghana as they're the only african team left with a chance to advance.

Don't forget about Algeria. At the moment they are first of their group. Though both USA and England have good chances at passing them.

It'd be interesting to see a YouTube of this, although highly unlikely.

On German TV they showed a few seconds of the broadcasting, where there was only the noise of the vuvuzelas. And they showed how it went black afterwards.

what's the formula required for algeria and the usa to advance?

i know this much for australia -

The Socceroos scenarios: If the Socceroos win, they need Ghana to beat Germany.. but if Germany win, then Aust must beat Serbia by 5-goals.. If Germany-Ghana draw, Aust must beat Serbia by 7-goals.

Oops, sorry, Slovenia was first, not Algeria. They are last.
If Algeria beats USA and England draws or loses they advance with four points. Anything but a win will throw them out of the tournament, and England must not win.
It's not possible for Algeria and the US to advance. Slovenia has four points, USA and England two and Algeria one. USA has the advantage of more goals scored. If they draw and England draws or loses they advance, except England scores a bunch of goals. If England wins, USA must win as well. England and USA would advance if both win. Draws would leave the one with the lower goals scored out.

If he hadn't scored later on the PK, there'd surely be accusatons of him betting against his team with that miss. I mean entire net is open, not only did he miss, but why did he direct toward the corner where the goalkeeper was rather than the middle of the net or the opposite corner?

I don't think he directed at all. It looks like he was kinda surprised the ball came and then hit it wrong.

I don't know, he clearly sees the ball coming with plenty of time, its not like it snuck up on him. Maybe its the grooves in the ball.:wink:

Dear Bob,

If Jonathan Bornstein blows this game for us, I will hate you forever.

here's why the final 2 games of the group stage is played at the same time:

In the last match of the first group stage at the 1982 World Cup, the West Germans and Austrians knew that a 1-0 German win would send both of them through to the second round at Algeria’s expense.

Germany scored a goal in the 10th minute and the teams literally kicked the ball around for the subsequent 80, sickening everyone else involved. Austrian TV commentators urged fans to turn off the television. A German fan burned the national flag in protest. Those were the countries benefitting from it!

For subsequent World Cups, FIFA ensured the final group stage matches were played at the same time.

england scores...1-0

if england wins, a tie will not help the US

So another blown call may be the end of the US??? This just isn't worth it. We already are usually at best equal in talent when we play other countries, but now we have to play the officials too?

Offsides my ass.

And i can't believe Bornstein is playing. Gooch at 50% is better than him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom