2007 Grammy Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow half of the categories don't have any good songs in them. Best female pop vocal should go to KT Tunstall, reason she's talented, good, and well that makes her a million times better than some other people in that list.

I would like to see KT Tunsell win shes a bit of fresh air! I'd like to see the Fray win something, I've grown to really like them, I dont think U2 is going to win with MJ, although I want them too. I think they will win with Green Day. And if Stadium Arcadium doesn't win I'm done with the grammys.

Any word if Bono or U2 will be there?

Does anyone else find James Blunt extremely annoying? I don't know how he keeps getting nominated for everything and winning a lot of prizes too... His music is always playing on the radio and I can't stand it...

annie_vox said:
Does anyone else find James Blunt extremely annoying? I don't know how he keeps getting nominated for everything and winning a lot of prizes too... His music is always playing on the radio and I can't stand it...

Me! I can't stand him, he can't sing...

corianderstem said:
Re: my guess of "My Humps." I didn't say it was the best song, I just try and guess what will win. :wink:

Here's the list again:

Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal

My Humps-The Black Eyed Peas (shitty? yeah. ubiquitous? yeah. It became a pop-culture catchphrase. I just have this weird feeling about it. It's not a good feeling, believe me.)

I just can't believe it was even nominated, because that song is my puppy kicking song :wink:.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

When it comes to music award nights, it's all meant to be fun. That's it, don't kid yourself in thinking it's anything other than that...

don't kid yourself into thinking it's about anything other than publicity and money.

I think those of you rooting for RHCP to win best album are going to be sorely disappointed. This is the awards show that gives Album of the Year to things like the "O Brother Where Art Thou" soundtrack (don't get me wrong - I love that album, but rock n' roll it ain't) and the Ray Charles duets album.

U2Man said:

don't kid yourself into thinking it's about anything other than publicity and money.
exactly.

link

Critics gripe over Grammy relevance

By CASSANDRA SZKLARSKI

TORONTO (CP) - As mainstream giants Mary J. Blige and the Red Hot Chili Peppers lead a roster of populist hitmakers in line for a Grammy trophy Sunday, critics are questioning whether there's any place for the staid ceremony in a time of rapid change for the music industry.

Blige leads the pack with eight nominations, followed by the Chili Peppers with six. Other multiple nominees including the Dixie Chicks, James Blunt and John Mayer.

Canadians in line for a trophy include Nelly Furtado, Neil Young, Sarah McLachlan, Daniel Powter and Michael Buble, who himself raised questions about the show's format in an off-the-cuff lashing he later retracted last week.

Music critic Bob Lefsetz is quick to unleash an expletive-laden rant on the black-tie gala.

"The Grammys are the industry's love letter to themselves," Lefsetz declares from Santa Monica, Calif., where his online "Lefsetz Letter" routinely rankles for its frank look at the music business.

"It doesn't reflect what's really going on. It's about a TV show ... The TV show is not reflective of the scene and they're so high and mighty .... It'll be another trainwreck of a show and the ratings will go down, and they'll say, 'Well, it's because people are stealing music.' "

To the Grammys credit, organizers do appear to be trying to cater to the online world by inviting them to vote on which aspiring unknown singer should join pop star Justin Timberlake in a Grammy duet.

And then there's the much heralded reunion by the Police after front man Sting, drummer Stewart Copeland and guitarist Andy Summers apparently buried the hatchet after a long-running feud.

But with a core fan base of boomers and aging hipsters, an appearance by the '80s supergroup won't exactly drag the Grammys into the digital age, says Alan Cross, Toronto host of the syndicated radio show, "The Ongoing History of New Music."

"How many people have been clamouring for a Police reunion?" asks Cross, who speculated that the motivation behind the reunion is a pension top-up for Summers, now pushing 65.

"It's been more than 20 years since the band broke up."

The once-bleached blond, now-greying trio stands to gain a reported $350 million paycheque from an expected summer tour and possible recording dates.

In turn, the cash flow for record companies could be considerable, suggest Cross.

It's record industry moguls that are behind the Grammys' Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, he points out, and they most certainly want to drive as many boomers to the record stores as possible.

"Remember what the Grammys are: It's an awards program done in the first quarter of the new year when retail sales are traditionally the slowest.
There's a reason why we do all the awards shows in January and February and March. It's because there's nothing else happening and it's to stimulate sales and to stimulate attendance at the movie theatres."

People over the age of 35 remain one of the few groups of music lovers that still buy CDs, says Cross. Despite the novelty of a Police return, he can't help but suggest it may all come down to the most basic of impulses.

"The timing is interesting, the amount of money is interesting and you know, we will be left forever to speculate on the motivations," he says.

"Just let's get over the fact that it's not about the music, man. It's not..."

and here's a link to bob lefsetz's rant for good measure.

Excellent article.

I'm a sucker for awards shows, so I never miss it, but the Grammys usually end up being so damned boring.

corianderstem said:
Excellent article.

I'm a sucker for awards shows, so I never miss it, but the Grammys usually end up being so damned boring.

and I agree with the post by U2man and ljhitman's post/article. But I'll still watch, mainly for the RHCP and to see if U2/Green Day win. Other than that...meh And also to share the virtual couch with my interference friends :wink:

Last edited:
Lila64 said:

and I agree with the post by U2man and ljhitman's post/article. But I'll still watch, mainly for the RHCP and to see if U2/Green Day win. Other than that...meh And also to share the virtual couch with my interference friends :wink:

awwwwwwww... me too! :hug:

you know ur in it for the margaritas...:sexywink:

I don't know if I'll watch or not. It'd be nice if U2 won on those collaberation awards. Despite the fact that I can't really stand MJB's version of One... I'd still like to see that win.

^^ I can't stand that version either... But of course it'd be good if it won. I preffer the colaboration with Green Day, though I don't like them that much I like the song a lot...

corianderstem said:
I must not be a core fan, for I am neither.

I'm an aging Gen-Xer.

:wink:

Yes, they need a category for those of us too young to see The Police when they were touring, yet still have bought their cds.

:lol: I read that article and that part stood out for me. I was thinking, "Well, I'm 30 - so I know I'm not a boomer. Could I be an aging hipster? :hmm: "

Depends on if you were ever hip.

I was 10 when Synchronicity came out and Every Breath You Take was ubiquitous. I was too young to be hip!

And now I'm too old. Oh, the irony. :(

Oh dear, I guess I should stay out of this thread since it's not on for another 3 hours out here. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom