2007 French Open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TSN in Canada shows it all live. It starts at 3am PST, I don't catch it until 7am.:wink:

Screwtape2 said:
Out of curiosity, what kind of coverage is everyone getting for this?

None whatsoever. Not a huge fan of tennis so I don't care to much, but for those that are it sucks.

Hewitt down in three?

trevster2k said:
TSN in Canada shows it all live. It starts at 3am PST, I don't catch it until 7am.:wink:

They didn't the first few days! I was so frustrated. They only started airing at 10:30 NST. I missed a lot of good matches. Thank heavens they're showing the WHOLE thing now.

Serena :drool:

Let's hope she gets fair calls this time. 2003 was a complete robbery imo.

And what's with the French crowds anyways? They were downright embarrassing back then and looks like they haven't learned any manners since.

gabrielvox said:
Serena :drool:

Let's hope she gets fair calls this time. 2003 was a complete robbery imo.

And what's with the French crowds anyways? They were downright embarrassing back then and looks like they haven't learned any manners since.

Ugh, I know, the French crowds are pathetic. They really have a vendetta against American players.

Serena's looking a bit nervous out there...Justine's already broken her service.

Serena's done. She's not going to pull back. She looks tired. :sigh:

EDIT: Yep. Serena had a terrible game! Oh well, congratulations to Justine. :up: She'll be facing Jankovic in the semis, which should be good!

Last edited:
COBL_04 said:

None whatsoever. Not a huge fan of tennis so I don't care to much, but for those that are it sucks.

I was asking because the coverage in the US is pre-taped and shown six hours after the matches begin. So I won't see any of the matches that have ended today for another two hours. At least it's not as bad as your coverage or lack thereof. :ohmy: And people wonder why there aren't more successful American tennis players. :lol:

guill said:

:lol:

You cannot be serious

Dead serious. There's hardly a peep from the crowd whenever someone like Serena wins a point against any player who speaks French. Polite clapping, that's all. I mean, it's understandable - the tournament is being played in France after all. I've seen the same thing happen at the US Open though, so I suppose it all evens out in the end. :wink:

:ohmy: Serena looked terrible out there. She played the whole match like it was a hard court and was very sluggish. It almost felt like she was even trying at times. I've never seen her play that bad or at least as unmotivated as that. I hope that she rebounds because it became hard to finish watching the match in the second set. :(

Screwtape2 said:
:ohmy: Serena looked terrible out there. She played the whole match like it was a hard court and was very sluggish. It almost felt like she was even trying at times. I've never seen her play that bad or at least as unmotivated as that. I hope that she rebounds because it became hard to finish watching the match in the second set. :(

Yeah. :( She looked like she had given up after the first game, let alone the first set! She just seemed...so defeated and depressed throughout the match, as though her heart wasn't in it at all. I wonder if maybe she was feeling a bit under the weather? Or if there was bad news in the family? I've never seen her play so poorly and with so little fire. I mean, she wasn't even shouting. She's usually vocal even when she's losing.

GibsonGirl said:

Yeah. :( She looked like she had given up after the first game, let alone the first set! She just seemed...so defeated and depressed throughout the match, as though her heart wasn't in it at all. I wonder if maybe she was feeling a bit under the weather? Or if there was bad news in the family? I've never seen her play so poorly and with so little fire. I mean, she wasn't even shouting. She's usually vocal even when she's losing.

I wonder if this will affect Justine in the next round. There could a real loss of focus when you're on a hot streak and prepared for a real battle only to have the opponent to come out flat and unmotivated.

Justine won, that's all that matters....

Ivanovic and Jankovic are on fire.....as is Djokovic in the men's...this is Serbia's tournament.

Still hoping for a Federer, Henin double

GibsonGirl said:
What the hell is happening in Federer's second set! :huh:

Federer's second set was painful to watch. I find it quite funny that when he starts missing, he misses really badly and looks nothing like the #1 player in the world. Some of those shanked backhands in the second were just ugly. Then somehow he woke up and started playing beautifully again and coasted through the last two sets.

The semi against Davydenko should be interesting. Davydenko has never beaten Federer but he's been playing well this tournament and I think he has a reasonable chance if Federer plays a mediocre match. In the other semi, the way Nadal has been playing, I don't think Djokovic - or anyone else - has much of a shot.

gabrielvox said:

I'm dead serious, and I wrote that it was embarrassing because I'm of French background.

i don't get to watch much of the french open because i don't have cable, but what was described in the thread sounds like the crowd at the US Open, just regarding anyone playing an american, not a frenchman.:wink: drives me crazy every year...

Henin vs Ivanovic

This shall be a cracking match, particularly considering the ease with which Ivanovic bundled out Shazza.

Henin was also in top form, destroying the seemingly unstoppable run of Jankovic.

Nothing new on the men's front, yet more Federer (the media here are all about the grand slam and the hunt for 15 tournament titles because he will be, apparently, better than Sampras). Good thing there's Nadal to stop him on clay, or this would be as boring as the Williams sisters domination in the women tennis a few years ago.

Good play by Djokovic in the semifinal.

I hardly call Federer's dominance boring. He is a joy to watch, how amazing was his demolition of Roddick in the semi-finals of this year's Oz Open. Fun to watch.

The Williams' sisters dominance was boring. Their game was all about power, and thankfully we had Henin's exquisite backhand (along with the rise of the Russian quartet of Myskina, Kuznetsova, Sharapova and Dementieva) to put an end to the snorefest that was the Williams' dominance.

intedomine said:

The Williams' sisters dominance was boring. Their game was all about power, and thankfully we had Henin's exquisite backhand (along with the rise of the Russian quartet of Myskina, Kuznetsova, Sharapova and Dementieva) to put an end to the snorefest that was the Williams' dominance.

:yes: With Federer it's pure dominance against a lot of pretty tennis players. When the Williams sisters dominated it was against a lot of players who weren't prepared for the power introduced into the women's game. Not to take anything away from Serena or Venus but you have to remember that the top players at that time were aging stars like Davenport and Capriati. The level of competition was greatly reduced back then compared to today. It was a transitional period in which the Russians needed to progress to the top of the sport. I find what Justine is doing far more impressive because of the level of competition.

intedomine said:
I hardly call Federer's dominance boring. He is a joy to watch, how amazing was his demolition of Roddick in the semi-finals of this year's Oz Open. Fun to watch.

I like watching him play and he is undoubtedly one of the tennis' biggest. I just wish there was someone at least challenging him - there is Nadal on clay but outside of that...Roddick and Hewitt need not apply.

With all due respect to his talent it's easier to win pretty much everything when there is hardly anyone giving you a run for your money. I'd like to see some rivarly like Sampras - Agassi, or Edberg - Becker.

Back
Top Bottom