2005-2006 College Football (USA)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2Bama said:
I've heard a lot about Jimmy and we are anxious to see him get some playing time. His passing stats are great and that should work well with what Shula wants to do with our offense. He's in the same class as John Parker Wilson, our other Freshman starting QB who is from nationally known Hoover HS here in Birmingham. So, either one of them will emerge or we'll have a "quarterback controversy" like we did in '99 with Zow & Watts.

~U2Alabama

If you ever need any childhood team photos of him, let us know!!! :up:

randhail said:
Question for you guys...

Did most of you go/want to go to the school you root for?

I'm a lost soul when it comes to college ball. I went to Providence College and we didn't have a team. :sad:

One thing I would've loved to experience was getting up on Saturday morning and going to the games.

Anyways, I tend to follow the gators and hurricanes...fan since the shane matthews and gino torreta days.

USC is a machine it will be difficult to stop them. I don't buy Texas at #2 either. Not exactly a big game team.

I went to Loyola University of Chicago as an undergrad - and they didn't have a football team either (do have basketball team which has hit the Sweet 16 a few times here and there - once when I was an undergrad). As a result, I never really got into college football then and given that the Bears were winning tons of games in the 80's (when I was an undergrad), my focus was on the NFL.

Then I went to the University of Notre Dame.

And the world changed.

You cannot go to this school and NOT be a football fan. LOL! O.K., maybe that's a bit extreme, but you are truly inundated with college football. Other sports do get plenty of recognition - like women's soccer and basketball (which have won national championships recently) and men's basketball (amongst other sports - like fencing which also won a national championship recently), but really, this school is about football. We love seeing the other sports do well - tons of pride there. But it's really about football.

I went to my share of tailgaters. I was a grad student, so there were these times when I had to study or go to a conference or I was just too lazy to get up at 8 and start drinking all day. ;) But I did have plenty of fun. When ND won the game, the fun continued. When they lost, there was definitely a certain amount of deflation.

To this day, though, I root away. And, as of this very moment in time, I am enjoying seeing ND in the AP top 10. I realize this may be very fleeting - ND may lose to MSU and quickly plummet out of the Top 25. But for this one week, it's nice to see ND that high again. Once you have this college team in your blood, I don't think it ever leaves.

THere is something about the college game that can't be found in the NFL, and I think that something is very enduring....

I think for me, it's the spirit, and pagentry. It's different...... it's more......... a true sport for sport... I don't know how to say it.

I can never really go back to being an NFL fan.
I mean, it's nice to see former players and such........

but........
all I hear about is "superstars" whinning about thier contracts, TO this, TO that, whatever. I mean, I really don't give a damn about that sort of drama.

Play the game

:angry:

One of my favorite things is the 4 hours of pregame that Nebraska streams over the net on the radio. I've mentioned the hometown commericals they air, but ........

4 hours is just so much, it's sorta fun.

like 4 hours of foreplay
and then 4 hours of game or 3 or whatever
and then 2 hours or so of post game.....

so like, the whole day is football day, almost.

4 hours of foreplay........ :yes: :wink: :macdevil:

heh heh heh

It will be interesting to see how the big 3 Florida schools do today. It's not unthinkable to see all of them lose on the same day. That's only happened once (last year) since 1978. I think they'll at least go 2-1 today, though.

Sweet, loving Jesus!!!!!!!!!

5 hours of pregame!!!!!!!!

Now THAT is some serious foreplay.
It starts with the clips, highlights from the last game.......

Wow...... it's amazing.
I never listened to it from the very beginning, never was able..... but today,.......

today is

FOOTBALL DAY!!!!!

Go~ ~ ~ Nebraska!!!!

Last edited:
funniest thing I've heard in a long time

"I mean, one guy said 'gold should be dark and mysterious' "

somebody from the Baylor Bears talking about their helmet color, someone had the wrong helmet color or something, I missed it.

But saying it with that souther drawl....... it was just......

made me smile :)

randhail said:
Did most of you go/want to go to the school you root for?

One thing I would've loved to experience was getting up on Saturday morning and going to the games.

I went to a small Methodist college that hasn't had football since the 1930s, but I was born into a family of Alabama fans & grads. I've stuck with the Tide faithfully, despite marrying an Au-buhn grad wife. Even in college, I'd get up and go to Bama games, either in Birmingham at nearby Legion Field, or 50 miles down the road in Tuscaloosa. When Alabama plays my alma mater in Baseball or women's basketball, I still pull for Alabama.

randhail said:
Anyways, I tend to follow the gators and hurricanes...fan since the shane matthews and gino torreta days.

Gino who? 34-13, January 1, 1993 Sugar Bowl

and

UA 28, UF 21, 1992 SEC Championship game.

It's been a long time for us.

~U2Alabama

Hey U2Bama!

I'm watchin the Tide!

I can't see my huskers, but I'm hoping they'll show highlights, we just blocked a field goal

:)

(muble ABC shows a simple Oklahoma TD run, but not a Nebraska blocked field goal.....)

(loooosers..........mumble)

Well despite the fact that the football team is getting its ass handed to them, how can you not appreciate the South Carolina cheerleaders? waving their pom-poms, shakey their booties,,,and cheering, "Let's go 'cocks!"

What's not to like...:hyper:

that was a horrible, disgusting Nebraska offensive preformance.

Glorious defense, glorious special teams

84 yard punt, 2 blocked field goals.......

ugh.......

regardless.........

34-29515-m.jpg
34-29515-m.jpg

2 for 2 blocked field goals......

7-6 victory, by the skin of their teeth....
ugh, I don't like that at all. BC has a lot of WCO work to do, that was aweful... :| So many third and >10............ distasteful....

hopefully

"3-0" will hold me through, but I feel a little vomity right now....

:yuck: :crazy: :yikes: :barf: :eek: :no:

:no:

Mr. BAW said:
Well despite the fact that the football team is getting its ass handed to them, how can you not appreciate the South Carolina cheerleaders? waving their pom-poms, shakey their booties,,,and cheering, "Let's go 'cocks!"

What's not to like...:hyper:

:shh: :shh: ..................

......... :rockon: :rockon:

:up:

Last edited:
I think that once again NU and OU aren't so far apart.

I think OU has a lot more talent, but there seems to be a certain..... uncertainty within the two teams. But I didn't see the OU UCLA game.

I would need someone who has seen both, which would be rare - but, compared to Nebraska, and/or Oklahoma, what is USC's verion of the WCO?

I wonder if Bill Calahan at Nebraska is running something too complex for college kids, which could make sense. But I would think that BC would be able to make for that adjustment. Then again...

I heard him saying that the biggest difference was "how slow" college is compared to NFL. Which makes sense, considering what you hear from college kids who go pro.

But still...............

:huh:

Mr. BAW said:

What's not to like...

The funny thing is, Spurrier is now in an 0-3 streak vs. Alabama.

SEC cheerleaders are always entertaining to watch, even in their team's defeat. Although, I will say that I was at a USC (Southern Cal) alumni tailgate picnic before the Au-buhn game (at USC in 2002) and the USC band and cheerleaders came to provide some pre-game entertainment. There is something intriguing about those young ladies in their old school cheerleader uniforms. The sweaters and what-not would be a bit much here in the SEC, especially in Alabama, Louisiana, Florida...

~U2Alabama

Mr. BAW said:
I'm traditionally not a UCLA fan but does their potential win over OU show any strength to the PAC-10 conference..

No. OU has also been beaten by TCU this year. I will say that USC is the real deal, again this year, until proven otherwise. But I am not convinced of the rest of the PAC-10, yet.

I don't know what the deal is, but something is wrong with OU this year. They've been my #2 team since Stoops has been there, but they have been known to choke at inopportune times. This year, it seems they have chosen to do so much earlier than usual.

~U2Alabama

It would be rather nice if OU lost to NU this year..........

but I don't know about that.......

I am calling our offense

Bill-Calahan-san's Drunken Master West Coast (offense)
confuses opponents and ourselves, apparently.

:huh:

But yeah, something's brewin' in Okalahoma, and it's kinda stanky, apparently.

I'll bet Stoops is really thinking about that Florida job he passed up....:yikes:

I really can't figure that team out!

As far as USC, don't get me wrong, folks..I've been a USC fan since I played ball in the '60s...it was the college closest to home, I met former greats Pat Haden and JK McKay at several "student council" events and their followers included a lot of guys that I played with in the South Bay..

Right now, this team is just the Men against the boys...Fresno State was supposed to be the biggest obstacle in their path to the crown but they were beat last night by an unranked Oregon...:shrug:

I'm thinking USC v. Texas in the Big One! I'd like to see how they handle QB Young since their running defense has a lot of holes but that's 11 games away....

^Excellent. :applaud:

How badly did Notre Dame lose? (I stopped watching halfway through.) We can't let Michigan get too far down in the rankings, it needs to be worth our while when we whoop their asses this season. I think we're at 9 right now, if only we'd won against Texas we'd be in perfect position for the Natl Champs. :sigh:

VertigoGal said:
^Excellent. :applaud:

How badly did Notre Dame lose? (I stopped watching halfway through.) We can't let Michigan get too far down in the rankings, it needs to be worth our while when we whoop their asses this season. I think we're at 9 right now, if only we'd won against Texas we'd be in perfect position for the Natl Champs. :sigh:

ND was down 20 i do believe... and came back to tie the game and send it to overtime, where they unfortunatly lost.

charlie weis has done a great job thus far... he has the team believing they can beat anyone, has the right plays set up to give them a chance to win... once he starts getting his own recruits in, it should be fun times in south bend once again..

Mr. BAW said:
Right now, this team is just the Men against the boys...Fresno State was supposed to be the biggest obstacle in their path to the crown but they were beat last night by an unranked Oregon...:shrug:

I'm thinking USC v. Texas in the Big One! I'd like to see how they handle QB Young since their running defense has a lot of holes but that's 11 games away....

I was lucky to get tickets to the Arkansas game (90,000+ in attendance).

After one quarter, SC had 8 plays on offense with 4 touchdowns.

In the 4th quarter, the second and third string quarterbacks scored touchdowns.

And the punter almost made it the entire game without breaking a sweat (one kick).

More challenges to come.....

Headache in a Suitcase said:

ND was down 20 i do believe... and came back to tie the game and send it to overtime, where they unfortunatly lost.

charlie weis has done a great job thus far... he has the team believing they can beat anyone, has the right plays set up to give them a chance to win... once he starts getting his own recruits in, it should be fun times in south bend once again..
they trailed 38-17 in the 3rd.
High school athletes, especially on the offensive side of things, who watch these games on TV are going to be calling Charlie, rather than him having to call them. ND in 4-5 years may look a lot like USC does now if they can get some top notch defenders in as well.

what is USC's verion of the WCO?

USC does not run the WCO, it's more of a spread. Very simple plays, a lot of formations. Basically, USC goes for efficiency rather than complexity. It is an offense that really wouldn't work with an NFL D, but in College where there is a great disparity in talent is extremely effective.

The problem with the WCO, which 'SC tried to run during the dark ages of He Who Shall Not be Named, is that it is too complex. The playbook is thicker than the bible, and it is too much for a college team with less time to learn. I have read that it takes a good 3 to 4 years to pick it up. That certainly will not work in college.

nbcrusader said:

I was lucky to get tickets to the Arkansas game (90,000+ in attendance).

After one quarter, SC had 8 plays on offense with 4 touchdowns.

In the 4th quarter, the second and third string quarterbacks scored touchdowns.

And the punter almost made it the entire game without breaking a sweat (one kick).

More challenges to come.....

More sick stats: USC had the ball for 92 seconds in the first quarter. Result 28 points.

Over the two games, Matt Leinart has lead 16 drives. Result, 13 TD's, 1 missed field goal, 1 ended by halftime and 1 INT (result of a horrid non-PI call).

The beauty of Matt is that he knows how to read Defenses so well, he can audible as a college qb. That is not fair to opposing Defenses.

Mr. BAW said:
I'm traditionally not a UCLA fan but does their potential win over OU show any strength to the PAC-10 conference..

Well, the jury's still out on the gutty little bruins. I just don't think OU is very good this year. Their offense is horrid. I do think that ASU, Cal and Oregon are quality. With Cal and ASU a bit better than Oregon. ASU should have beaten LSU, however their coach choked on that 4 an 11 call.

I will concede that Stanford is really bad, and OSU, WSU and AZ are marginally average. Although, because of the familiarity amongst conference foes, you could have some tough games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom