2005-2006 College Football (USA)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just comparing Spurrier's last 3 seasons(not his best, not including the championship season) to the 3 seasons since he left:

Under Spurrier from 99-01: 29-9 (.763)
Since he left: 02-04: 23-15 (.605)

I'd say a noticeable downturn.

HeartlandGirl said:

What does the N stand for on their helmets?

Nowledge!

:wink:

Heh.

But seriously, I think I remember reading somewhere that Nebraska was tops in the nation in Academic All-American athletes. Tom Osborne has a Ph.D. in educational psychology and used to teach courses on sports and society.

speedracer said:

Heh.

But seriously, I think I remember reading somewhere that Nebraska was tops in the nation in Academic All-American athletes. Tom Osborne has a Ph.D. in educational psychology and used to teach courses on sports and society.

TO was the man.

That's why he was a senator - not because he was beloved by his NU fans, well, not just that. But he was a great teacher and educator. I would want someone like him in the governement. And I recently heard he may be running for governer of Nebraska - and if he does, he will win, no competition. He should win. I don't believe it when people say NU is in a hick town...

You are correct about them being a tremendous source of academic all americans. That is their trademark, essentially.

Part of the reason for my great attraction to NU was their values and dedication. I knew nothing about them being the 3rd winningest team in college football when I began to love them. I just remembered them play in an NC game when I was a kid, and something about them stood out - the red and white I always liked, too.

Ah.... but I will stop basking in the glory of my favorite team. Anyone can do that.

one more thing about TO - he was a great leader, and stepped down at his zenith. A class act.

Though, like all schools, I believe NU has had their fair share of scandals and such... but... Nebraka fans can always look to their neighbors to the west for some... relief...

I sort of feel bad for Colorado U.... :|

I don't know, something about OSU... I never really got on their bandwagon. You'd think I would, though, since I'm a traditional kind of guy, and Ohio is big in football history.

But I like Michigan better, and I guess that's that.

-
------

Edit -

Wait, I'm remembering something.... OSU beat Miami in the championship game a few years back :hyper:

That earns major points - you know how I feel about warm weather teams, heh heh heh....

I remember rooting for them - that was a very good game. So I repsect OSU a lot, and I always like the Mich OSU game. I even like the Buckeyes, the cool sticker things.

So I suppose I am not really against OSU.

Last edited:
For Honor said:

Edit -

Wait, I'm remembering something.... OSU beat Miami in the championship game a few years back :hyper:

That earns major points - you know how I feel about warm weather teams, heh heh heh....

I remember rooting for them - that was a very good game. So I repsect OSU a lot, and I always like the Mich OSU game. I even like the Buckeyes, the cool sticker things.

So I suppose I am not really against OSU.

Yeah, and needed referee assistance to get the victory. Can you say "PHANTOM INTERFERENCE CALL". Miami won the game. OSU had a great team that year but they were the Luckeyes in SO many games. It all came together for them and I give them credit for that. But they were not the best College Football team that year. I will say I wasnt rooting for either team in that game though because I dont care for Miami either. :shrug:

WildHoneyAlways said:

I can't believe my sorority made t-shirts that said this! :reject:
As well as the Muck Fichigan ones. :wink:

That was the year of the A-train fumble. :mad: And why Illinois has not had a night game in so long. :wink:

:riot:

Eloquent! :laugh:

Hey, as a Michigan fan I can admit that was an awful call. :shrug: Michigan has been on the receiving end of alot of bad calls in the past as well though. Typically it all evens out in the end. But its always bad when its a major call that possibly changes the outcome of the game. (see my prior post) Fortunately, it wouldnt occur now in the Big Ten. Replay would have reversed the call.

Curious though, why would that fumble call have anything to do with them not playing night games? Teams typically play night games for several reasons. In the south they like to do it early in the season because it is so hot in the afternoon. The other reason is for TV, Universities want a national audience, a night game provides that in alot of cases. I know Michigan has a rule that they dont have a 3:30 kick off or later beyond Oct because it gets to dark and the stadium is next to a residential neighborhood. Also some stadiums do not have lighting for night games. But I dont understand why one bad call in a single game would cause them not to have night games??

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Yeah, and needed referee assistance to get the victory. Can you say "PHANTOM INTERFERENCE CALL". Miami won the game.

-----------

After the OSU go ahead touchdown in OT, Miami had it 1st and goal from the 1 and couldn't get it done!

U2ME3 said:
Blue Room said:

Yeah, and needed referee assistance to get the victory. Can you say "PHANTOM INTERFERENCE CALL". Miami won the game.

-----------

After the OSU go ahead touchdown in OT, Miami had it 1st and goal from the 1 and couldn't get it done!

But it shouldnt have even gone to OT, Miami won it in regulation. Outside of Ohio, its obvious to everyone. I dont want to get into an argument about it though because defending Miami isnt something I care to do either! :laugh:

Blue Room said:

But it shouldnt have even gone to OT, Miami won it in regulation. Outside of Ohio, its obvious to everyone. I dont want to get into an argument about it though because defending Miami isnt something I care to do either! :laugh:

Actually the call occured at the end of the first overtime.

Blue Room said:
But I dont understand why one bad call in a single game would cause them not to have night games??

Yeah, well....everyone drank all day long so we were good and boozed up by game time. I believe there was an incident with the band. :uhoh:

After the 2 bogus calls and we lost the game we basically rioted on our own campus. :wink: good times, good times...

Blue Room said:

:hmm: I will say this, if Michigan played in the PAC 10 this year their only serious potential loss would be to USC. The Big 10 has 3 teams in or around the top 10. How many does the PAC 10 have up there besides USC?

Try Oregon, Cal and Arizona State. What happened the last time Michigan traveled to Oregon?

Trust me to run the table in any BCS conference, even the Big East, you have to be a great team and you have to be lucky.

For Honor said:

That's just it, though. USC wouldn't be the same if it was in the Big 10 because they would not be in Cali. They don't ahve to do any work for recruiting, because everyone is right there in Cali.

Someone mentioned bitterness about the SEC because they live on the West Coast?

I don't know if that's true. Currently, USC is recruiting nationally. Dwayne Jarrett and Brian Cushing from NJ, Mike Williams and Keith Rivers from Florida, Patrick Turner from TN, LenDale White from CO. The list continues. USC recruits well because of the winning and the coaching.

Yeah the location doesn't hurt :wink: but it's not the only thing.

Having to live through those winters, I can understand the bitterness :wink:

trojanchick99 said:

Try Oregon, Cal and Arizona State. What happened the last time Michigan traveled to Oregon?

Trust me to run the table in any BCS conference, even the Big East, you have to be a great team and you have to be lucky.

But are we not talking about the upcoming season?? Checking the title of the thread, and thats appears to be the case?? So what does a game that took place several years ago have to do with the upcoming season??

Oregon, Cal and AZ state??? Juggernauts!! :laugh: If those are the other great teams in your conference you have just proved my point (they are not bad teams, just not title contenders). Campare that to Ohio State, Iowa, Michigan and Purdue. All in the top 15. The rest of what you said is, well, exactly what I said. So I'm not sure what the point was???

Like I said before, its all on paper at this point. Maybe the Pac 10 will be a surprise this year. :shrug: But on paper this year, they appear to be the weakest of the big 4 BCS conferences. Thats all I'm saying.

Last edited:
trojanchick99 said:
Having to live through those winters, I can understand the bitterness :wink:

If you take me for being jealous of "not having a winter", then you are mis-taken.

I don't like the idea of football becoming too much of a finess sport, nor for it's fans to become too delicate.

But even in the NFL - the shift to having the major championship games in the S half of the US - that's kind of BS. I don't know if it has always been that way, though. But I think it would be great if people got brave enough to both play and spectate football in the snow. But I doubt that will ever happen...

=====================

I did a search for "college football" and I seem to be able to find a lot of NU pic, but I wanted to find something more neutral....

Blue Room said:

Oregon, Cal and AZ state??? Juggernauts!! :laugh: If those are the other great teams in your conference you have just proved my point (they are not bad teams, just not title contenders). Campare that to Ohio State, Iowa, Michigan and Purdue. All in the top 15. The rest of what you said is, well, exactly what I said. So I'm not sure what the point was???

Like I said before, its all on paper at this point. Maybe the Pac 10 will be a surprise this year. :shrug: But on paper this year, they appear to be the weakest of the big 4 BCS conferences. Thats all I'm saying.

What I'm trying to say, is playing up at Oregon is not easy. I believe that Oregon could be top 15 as well as ASU. We shall see.

My biggest beef, is the general lack of respect for the Pac 10. Some of that is our conference president sucks. Some of it is the late game.

For Honor said:

If you take me for being jealous of "not having a winter", then you are mis-taken.

I don't like the idea of football becoming too much of a finess sport, nor for it's fans to become too delicate.

Ahhh, weather snob ;)

I don't know, the one time I was at a game in bitter cold, USC at ND 1995 (snow, sleet, rain) is the last. That was miserable. Much rather watch a game in 70 degree sunny weather. That's why I'm excited to see USC's opener in Hawaii :)

trojanchick99 said:

What I'm trying to say, is playing up at Oregon is not easy. I believe that Oregon could be top 15 as well as ASU. We shall see.

My biggest beef, is the general lack of respect for the Pac 10. Some of that is our conference president sucks. Some of it is the late game.

Oh, just about any major division 1 school can beat any other division 1 school on a given saturday. Thats why they play the game. The better team obviously doesnt always win. I'm just saying if you look at the overall quality of the PAC 10 teams this year on paper, it does not appear as strong as the Big 12, SEC, Big 10 or ACC. Looks better than the Big East though, I will give you that! :laugh: A few years ago the Pac 10 was one of the tougher conferences overall. Everything seems to go in cycles, each conference seems to have a weak overall year at some point. Also, there always seems to be a conference that is a surprise overall. That could be the PAC 10 this year. But USC is the only MAJOR powerhouse on paper in that conference right now. Arizona State could be ok also, but they are no powerhouse.

Weather snob....... so be it. That's sort of a compliment. :)

I'll take my winter's anyday of the week. Or everyday.

MWA HAH HAH :macdevil: (but a frozen macdevil mwa hah hah hah....)

I respect regional differences. That's what homefield advantage is all about. But... the championship game shouldn't always be in the lower states. It's not really fair to the other states, but we are a very delicate nation, and god forbid we don't maximize those profits...... :rant:, yeah, I know.

-============================

Anyhow, two-aday practices have started in Lincoln...

FOOTBALL TIME IS ALMOST HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

For Honor said:

I respect regional differences. That's what homefield advantage is all about. But... the championship game shouldn't always be in the lower states. It's not really fair to the other states, but we are a very delicate nation, and god forbid we don't maximize those profits...... :rant:, yeah, I know.

Maybe Baskin-Robbins would be willing to sponsor an Ice Cream Bowl in Rich Stadium in Buffalo.

Blue Room said:
Oregon, Cal and AZ state??? Juggernauts!! :laugh: If those are the other great teams in your conference you have just proved my point (they are not bad teams, just not title contenders).

I couldn't agree more. I live in Sun Devil country (if there is such a thing), and believe me, nobody here is thinking national title or even conference title. I don't think they have for quite some time.

speedracer said:

Maybe Baskin-Robbins would be willing to sponsor an Ice Cream Bowl in Rich Stadium in Buffalo.

now THAT's the kind of inginuity that the NCAA needs!

Great idea. Think of all the promostional stunts they could pull........ snow vixens, snowmen, winter time, santa clause, cold snow, people enjoying the cold,........

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

And then U2 at half time singing

New Years Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wink:

Scrimmage at USC on Sunday!!!

Can you tell I'm excited about the season. Basically, USC is openning their final scrimmage to the public. They are playing at the Coliseum and admission is free. The Athletic Department is expecting 50,000 to show, which would be amazing for a SoCal crowd.

15 days till our opening game in paradise!!!!

I am currently practicing my hula.

Well I can't knock Cali for it's proximity to Hawaii, or Japan , or China, which are all places I want to visit.........

And I can't knock Cali for it's women, either.

A long time ago, when the NFL was....... well, different, I used to follow it, and was a big 49ers fan. I liked red a lot. I even got one of those silly pictures that said I was the MVP on the scoreboard... but I guess that was "cute" considering that I was really young then......

But the irony for me is........

If I had really been a football player like I wanted to be, I would be really interested in going to Nebraska, since it is my favorite school, and now they have the WCO that the 49ers had apparently mastered back in their time. Oh well, it is interesting to think what might have been.

But it is better to think about what is and what is to come, I believe...

(pssst - trojanchick99 take some pictures of Hawaii........

You know, so you can show us all how nice it is, and you can even poke fun at me because I live in the NorthEast. I don't care, I'm willing to take that in return for some Hawaii pics.....

But you know... Hawaii is really not a place for football
It's weather is way too nice :wink: :p :wink: )

((Unless of course you play it on the 'bad' side of an island...heh hehh heh.....))

Enjoy your trip :up:

Oklahoma, OH NO!!!!

Maybe Nebraska can finish 2nd in the Big XII after all :uhoh: :giggle: :sexywink:

Where does everyone think they should hold the sugar bowl, now that Lousiana is out of commision?

I heard somebody suggest Arkansas, and I agree.
But some pansies shot him down, saying that "the weather must not be a factor" in bowl games

what a load of shit, pardon my french

What, is football only for warm weathered fools? Can't take the cold? COme on....... I can't believe that. ANd it's Arkansas, it can't be that bad in the winter time..

what is America coming to, when people are afraid to play football in winter?

Pathetic bunch of flowers........:mad:

Notre Dame getting back in gear?

And how bout that Clemson win?

COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS HEERE!!!!!!!!! :D

Bucks vs. Horns. Saturday night in the Shoe. Doesn't get any better. Oh, it does, I'll be there!

Go Bucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom