2004 World Junior Hockey Championship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pinball Wizard said:

Where were you 4 pages ago to agree with me guy?

If our American brethren knew the extent of obsessing we have over this tournament, you might have sympathy for the plight of DaveC.

Don't marginalize his flag-waving if it comes in a different form. We're all assholes underneath our sheaths of ignorance.

Sociable anyone? I've had a few myself I must say...

:up:

I didnt even know this game existed until i read about it... on a U2 forum.

4 pages ago... where was I? oh yes, not even close to clicking on this thread.

I can see some sympathy, but if you're pissed over a game you can't even control and are offending people- enough. Just be pissed, punch a hole in a wall parental supervision pending, but no need to offend people.

Did you just call me an asshole? You know more about me than anyone else in just 2 posts. Congrats, we have a new Miss Cleo.

zoney! said:

I think Avsgirl has spoken too. It is about a country, and a flag. I would not do the same to the Mable Leaf or Canada...or any country for that matter.

And that is your right not to do so, just as it is my right to do so.

Nobody complained during the Olympics Gold Medal Game when the American women's team put a Canadian flag on the floor of their dressing room and walked on it did they?

Instead of praying for "strength" - try "maturity" :up: [/B]

I might say the same for you. It is you who is making this out to be bigger than it really is. Perhaps may I suggest calming down instead of giving me orders like you have been for the past hour or so??

OK Dave...

This is the last time I ask.

I am offended by your signature. I am not the only one. Despite the fact that you think it is just a "team" being crossed out...I see it as "my country" as being crossed out. I would appreciate if you see it that way and remove your signature.

Thank you.

I have to say, this is much better than the game.

Davey, That's true about the American Women's team, and the American ref for that matter (during the SLC olympics)... but are you going to make zoney, and the rest of the guests here accountable for mistakes that they had no control over? That generalization is not fair to them...

And it compromises your argument against double standards.

But whatever...

the game's over.

Let's all go to the lobby.

zoney! said:
OK Dave...

This is the last time I ask.

I am offended by your signature. I am not the only one. Despite the fact that you think it is just a "team" being crossed out...I see it as "my country" as being crossed out. I would appreciate if you see it that way and remove your signature.

Thank you.

I realize that you are displeased and I apologize for that, but you are taking my signature out of context, and that is your problem, not mine. Thank you for finally asking politely, but I will decline to change it.

Pinball Wizard said:
Hahahhahahahahahaha.

You have no idea how great that is STL.

I try. Really, I do.

I do believe I should win an award for that of some sorts. Cash considerations are appreciated. Being the new Cleo, you know where to send the money.

DaveC said:

You obviously didn't read my previous response:

sorry DaveC. i did read your post. but i reread it.

and than i read mine. i would request you do the same as i feel you have erred.

in my comments i never meant to suggest that you meant death to american hockey. i meant that having the us hockey logo with a large x through it could very understandably cause one to think you have it out specifically for the american team-who of course have done nothing wrong.

my real point is the disparity between your explanation of why canada lost (the ref) and your sig.

if you want to take this up further sicy has extended communications to you or you can respond to me via pm or email. otherwise i think this thread should focus on what was a great game and tournament.

DaveC said:

And that is your right not to do so, just as it is my right to do so.

Nobody complained during the Olympics Gold Medal Game when the American women's team put a Canadian flag on the floor of their dressing room and walked on it did they?

Actually, I'm not sure it is. Americans aren't allowed to deface or write on a flag--although it can fall into free speech, so it's a squishy area.

A foreigner (though I don't consider Canada foreign) probably isn't allowed alot of leeway when it comes to playing with American flags. I wouldn't consider it MY right to do anything to a Canadian flag or logo. (I always love when we start dragging the Constitution into things...the last resort of a one sided debate.)

And no, I dont think it was cool for the USA Women's team to do that. It's an international competition, an honor to play in and that smacks of childishness.

I refuse to surrender my Belarus flag toliet paper though.

Last edited:
Pinball Wizard said:
Davey, That's true about the American Women's team, and the American ref for that matter (during the SLC olympics)... but are you going to make zoney, and the rest of the guests here accountable for mistakes that they had no control over? That generalization is not fair to them...

I'm not making them accountable for anything. They are taking it out of context, and that is neither my fault nor my problem.

in my comments i never meant to suggest that you meant death to american hockey. i meant that having the us hockey logo with a large x through it could very understandably cause one to think you have it out specifically for the american team-who of course have done nothing wrong.

my real point is the disparity between your explanation of why canada lost (the ref) and your sig.

I do not mean to put down the US team, I do not have it out for them. I don't think they deserved the gold medal, but they most certainly did deserve to be in that game, as they were (IMO) the SECOND best team in the tournament. It is merely expressing displeasure that Canada lost, and the fact that the US won is the only reason why this logo is there. Had Finland beaten the US and Canada, you would have seen "Suomi" with a big red X through it. The logo is expressing disappointment at Canada's loss, and yes, also at the USA's win to a lesser extent, but it is not to say that I dislike the US Hockey program or whatnot. They deserved to be in that Gold Medal final, for sure; I just don't think they deserved to win it all.

AvsGirl41 said:

Actually, I'm not sure it is. Americans aren't allowed to deface or write on a flag--although it can fall into free speech, so it's a squishy area.

A foreigner (though I don't consider Canada foreign) probably isn't allowed alot of leeway when it comes to playing with American flags. I wouldn't consider it MY right to do anything to a Canadian flag or logo. (I always love when we start dragging the Constitution into things...the last resort of a one sided debate.)

And no, I dont think it was cool for the USA Women's team to do that. It's an international competition, an honor to play in and that smacks of childishness.

I refuse to surrender my Belarus flag toliet paper though.

You may or may not have noticed that the American Flag is nowhere on this logo. It is the logo of an organization therefore it is no different than if I took an Enron logo and put an X through it. The American flag is nowhere to be seen. So your argument about laws is moot.

Oh, btw, if you actually do have "Belarus flag toilet paper", then you're the only one here who's actually defacing a flag. :wink:

now to actually chime in with a suggestion on the whole matter .

dave, just take one for the team, save everybody hassle and yourself grief and just change the signature. change it to a canadian team logo to show your support for them instead of your distaste (is that a word) for USA, especially since it is offending people. i really dont see what the big deal is about changing your signature, especially since it's caused such a ruckus.

like i said get pissed- but dont offend others.

agreed with cujo and kobe- get back to posting about the games... the games that i have no idea about, nor an idea what happened, but put this silly crap behind and change the signature.

back to the nfl and mlb threads...

You know what's kind of cool?

How FYM looks like a reasonable, peaceful place compared to this. :wink:

Come on, it was a fun game (for those of us who were able to watch it anyway), isn't that the whole point?

I'm not changing the signature simply because I resent people who have no authority over me whatsoever giving me (or attempting to give me) direct orders as to what to do.

As I said, people are taking it out of context, that is not my fault, nor is it my problem, it is theirs.

I don't have any distaste for the USA, simply disappointment that they won.

there was some article in the paper about a week ago about one of the guys who plays on the UMASS amherst team who's playing on the usa team, but that's the only reason i have any remote idea that any of this was going on.

as for the thread, it was 6 pages long when i started reading it....yikes...it sprouted a coupele more pages before i got to the end, and i'm sure more replies were added between when i started writing this and when it actually gets posted (i'm either a really slow typer or you're all insanly fast).

DaveC said:

You may or may not have noticed that the American Flag is nowhere on this logo. It is the logo of an organization therefore it is no different than if I took an Enron logo and put an X through it. The American flag is nowhere to be seen. So your argument about laws is moot.

Ignorance, I guess, is bliss. The logo contains Red, white ablue along with stars and stripes....hmmm, where did they come up with that idea? THE US FLAG.

Why are you choosing to be sooo disrepectful?

Last edited:
DaveC said:
I'm not changing the signature simply because I resent people who have no authority over me whatsoever giving me (or attempting to give me) direct orders as to what to do.
do you know the fun part about this internet game?
if enough people complain we can edit your sig
no matter whether you agree with the reasons behind the complaints or not

the chance that your sig will be editted increases when you start to post crap about misguided authority as if you were told to axe the sig (which I'm gonna do now anyway, because I got pissed of somewhere these last 20 minutes, so - in hindsight - you were right about that one, isn't that ironic?) right away
you were told in a very polite way what the situation was
that's it

I've been waiting for a reason to close an ice hockey (the deranged sister of proper hockey) for quite some time now
:hyper:

so I beg you to keep this one straying off topic :|

Last edited:
DaveC said:

Oh, btw, if you actually do have "Belarus flag toilet paper", then you're the only one here who's actually defacing a flag. :wink:

Well, I could really argue the point and say the S is a stylized flag, but that would be so childish, I am not even going to do that.

But, how's this? It's an organization I belong to. The entire DWHL belongs to USA Hockey. We had nothign to do with Canada's loss--or the USA's win. I may be the crappiest right winger in Denver--possibly the world--but I did pay my USA Hockey dues and you're slamming an organization I belong to. So if I really want to belittle the point as you're doing, I can. It's too easy. :sexywink:

I find Belarus flags to be a little chafing, actually.

aaand....since this is a message board, i'm compelled to add my 2 cents on davec's sig.yeah i know it's a logo, but it gves the impression that you're against hockey in the u.s. yeah maybe i'm taking it out of context in my ignorance or whatever, but if i were to come across it sitting on the bottom of a thread in bang and clatter (cos as said before, we didn't exactly here too much about this in the u.s.)...

no comparrision to yankees suck sigs when they're coming from red sox fans. that just goes with the territory (as do headache's rants about the fans of both the sox and yankees sucking).

Hmmm...let's take a look at this logo for a second....

What is that in the center...a MAPLE LEAF. right?

Where does that come from?

THE CANADADIAN FLAG.

Much like the USA HOCKEY logo.

It is a disrepectful signature Dave. It is REALLY OFFENSIVE. Please, again, please remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom