100 years ago today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
Was the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. It devastated the city, yet it was rebuilt in the same location.

Is anyone from San Francisco afraid of this happening again?

Theres a 62% chance of the Hayward fault going in the next 25 years...

The History Channel paints a pretty bleak picture. The cost to rebuild would be over 300 billion dollars.

Kinda scary stuff.

Though the New Madrid fault in the midwest may be an even bigger concern. If that goes Memphis will be no longer, and St. Louis will be pretty devestated.

I don't know where I'm going with any of this, just something to think about I guess. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Last edited:
according to the AOL News page:

One hundred years ago, a 7.8-magnitude earthquake nearly destroyed San Francisco. Could it happen again? "San Francisco fell, and it will fall again," one expert says. The Bay Area has made progess in protecting itself, but if such a quake hit there today, a new study says we could expect:

· 1,800 to 3,400 deaths
· More than 90,000 buildings damaged
· As many as 250,000 households displaced
· $150 billion in damage

A good reminder that we're in the midst of history, rather than the end of it.

Melon

I wonder if the damage estimates covers only structures, or if it includes the high priced land in the area.

Consider it - one of the most expensive places to live in the US is San Francisco.

Well I live near SF (about 35 mi south) and the '89 earthquake was horrible, I cant imagine going through that again. Little ones are kinda fun but when buildings fall down and people die its definately a scary thing to think about happening again.

I've lived thru many an earthquake, but I'm in S.Calif. The first big one I remember was in '71 - I was like 6 years old. Told my big sister to stop shaking the room (we had been asleep when it hit early in the morning). Of course I look around and my sister was long gone & curled up in my parents bed! :lol: And of course the '94 quake - I was pregnant at the time, and that big one (the 'Northridge quake') hit in the middle of the night :reject:

Lila64 said:
I've lived thru many an earthquake, but I'm in S.Calif. The first big one I remember was in '71 - I was like 6 years old. Told my big sister to stop shaking the room (we had been asleep when it hit early in the morning). Of course I look around and my sister was long gone & curled up in my parents bed! :lol: And of course the '94 quake - I was pregnant at the time, and that big one (the 'Northridge quake') hit in the middle of the night :reject:

i remember the northridge one (i think i was six at the time) and it scared the shit outta me. i remember running down the long hall to my parents' bedroom and banging into it left and right (i think :uhoh: ) . a bunch of my relatives lost power so they stayed at our place for a few days :yes: . we ate a lot of ice cream :drool: .

it was also the first time i saw edward scissorhands :yikes: :scream: :|

I remember the northridge quake, it woke me up even though I was about 100 miles away. I remember seeing the San Fran quake on tv and the collapsed freeways even though I was only 7. Pretty much anywhere you can go there is some sort of natural disaster that can get you so worrying about it is kind of futile.

Chizip said:
Though the New Madrid fault in the midwest may be an even bigger concern. If that goes Memphis will be no longer, and St. Louis will be pretty devestated.
Wow, someone's actually heard of it! Usually people don't believe me when I say we have earthquakes here, because I'm not on the west coast. In fact, more earthquakes occur along the New Madrid fault than along the San Andreas fault, ours our just signifigantly smaller. According to the seismologists, the smaller quakes take the pressure off of the faultline, and prevent larger ones from occuring.
But now they're saying we have a 90% chance of a 6.0 earthquake in the next 35 years, and a 7-10% chance of an 8.0 in the next 50 years. If such a quake occured, we'd all be screwed. Can you picture the St. Louis Arch tumbling into the Mississippi river? It's a scary thought.
One interesting thing to note, is that because the New Madrid fault is a different kind of fault than the San Andreas, the earthquakes produced generally cause more damage for their size than those in California, and are felt at a much larger range.

Example:
Charleston1895.gif

Red indicates minor to major damage to buildings and their contents. Yellow indicates shaking felt, but little or no damage to objects, such as dishes.
(I like to scare people with that map)

I dunno, I'm fairly calm about my potential fate. Either the world will end in 2012, or I'll die in an earthquake by the time I'm 55. But hey, at least our big earthquakes make churchbells in Boston ring, that's pretty cool :wink:

I lived in the East Bay during the '89 SF Quake. It was horrible. My then husband (Ex) was in nosebleed seats at Candlestick Park when the quake hit and has pics of the big cracks in the stadium structure. Our neighbors pool sloshed water flooding our yard, but it didn't get into the house. I was backing up my car with my son in his carseat when the quake hit and I thought I'd hit or another car had slammed into me, I swear the car was jumping on the pavement! I remember racing home and being without power, sitting with neighbors in the street making sandwiches, pacing, waiting to hear from my Ex, I think he got home about midnight--he had to take the long way around the Bay home since the Bridge and freeways had been damaged so it took forever once Candlestick was evacuated. That was scary. At that time we lived directly between the San Andreas and the Hayward faults too. If one fault acted up our house seemed to move one way, and it moved another direction if the other fault was affected. Bizarre. Now I am 6 blocks from the beach and often wonder about really high tides and waves or tsunami.

Carek1230 said:
Now I am 6 blocks from the beach and often wonder about really high tides and waves or tsunami.

i think those are generally caused by faults that are off shore. In humbolt county they have an off shore fault and they have sirens there that are like tornado sirens, but they warn of tsunamis. I know this because I have friends that go to school there, they had a warning once while she was on the beach :lol: :yikes:

Lila64 said:

I was 4 during the 71 quake and I remember waking up to all the lights coming on and my Dad running around in a towel grabbing my 2 year old sister and trying to get me out of bed and into a doorway.

I was alone with my own babies during the 87 Whittier quake and it was terrifying. I was in bed with my back against my bedroom wall and I could hear and feel the rumble before the shaking started. I just grabbed a baby under each arm and ran for the front door. :crack:

The Big Bear/Landers quakes in the early 90's were pretty scary but nothing like Northridge. I don't think I've ever been so scared in my entire life. I know another one of that magnitude or bigger is bound to happen in my lifetime but I prefer not to thing about it :reject:

Bono's American Wife said:

The Big Bear/Landers quakes in the early 90's were pretty scary but nothing like Northridge. I don't think I've ever been so scared in my entire life. I know another one of that magnitude or bigger is bound to happen in my lifetime but I prefer not to thing about it :reject:

Evertime I'm under or on an overpass I remember the Northridge quake. In traffic I'll allow a gap rather than sit under the overpass :crack:

I hope all that retro fitting was effective.

Chizip said:

If New Madrid acts up Birmingham will be pretty hard hit, although not completely destroyed. This thing scares the hell out of me. I think my brother is completely insane to like living in Birmingham. I can't move due to the fact that I can't leave my therapist, but if that weren't the case I'd be out of here and in Atlanta in a week.

Bono's American Wife said:
The Big Bear/Landers quakes in the early 90's were pretty scary

it's so funny, when landers hit i lived in southern california but i was visiting the area where i live now. i was on the sixteenth floor of one of our hotels and i was scared to death. i was still married at the time and i remember making my husband walk down sixteen flights of stairs to get me outside. where i was going i have no idea. i also made him go back up and pack our stuff so we could go home. pretty clever of me, right? let's go BACK to southern california, honey!

some people were wandering around outside in their jammies and some were still gambling! i remember an aftershock hit as we were driving and i completely freaked out again.

needless to say, i do NOT miss earthquakes! it was all i could think about when i was in that enormous underground parking structure at the getty last week. i was freaking out a bit down there, too. are you people crazy building something like that in that area!?

bonosgirl84 said:

it's so funny, when landers hit i lived in southern california but i was visiting the area where i live now. i was on the sixteenth floor of one of our hotels and i was scared to death. i was still married at the time and i remember making my husband walk down sixteen flights of stairs to get me outside. where i was going i have no idea. i also made him go back up and pack our stuff so we could go home. pretty clever of me, right? let's go BACK to southern california, honey!

some people were wandering around outside in their jammies and some were still gambling! i remember an aftershock hit as we were driving and i completely freaked out again.

needless to say, i do NOT miss earthquakes! it was all i could think about when i was in that enormous underground parking structure at the getty last week. i was freaking out a bit down there, too. are you people crazy building something like that in that area!?

:yikes:

I've never been in a high rise or multi-story hotel during an earthquake and I don't think I ever want to!

During the first Lander's quake, we were tent camping at San Onofre, right by the nuclear reactor. Our tent was near the cliffs and I was positive we were all going to fall into the ocean just as the reactors cracked open :crack: When the aftershock hit, we were eating breakfast on the tailgate of our truck and I think everyone in the entire campground packed up and went home at the same time!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom