(12-16-2002) Q&A With Bono - NewsWeek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.msnbc.com/

Q&A: BONO

Last week U2?s lead singer toured the American heartland, holding town-hall-type meetings to talk about AIDS in Africa. He spoke with NEWSWEEK?s Seth Mnookin.

[On Seth Mnookin?s voice mail: old man?s voice] Seth, this is the voice of your conscience. [Normal voice] Seth, this is Bono. I heard you want to talk to me. Maybe you?re on with somebody taller. I?ll call back. ?Bye.

With terrorism and the economy, isn?t it hard to get Americans? attention about this issue?

It turns out it?s easier. The idea that the prosperous few can live separate from the poverty of the many shattered on September 11, 2001. This is one of those moments where our children and grandchildren will be asking, how did we let this happen? Our age will be remembered for three things: the Internet, the war on terror and how we let an entire continent burst into flames while we stood around with watering cans. Or not.

So people are responding?

The other day I met a Teamster at a truck stop in Iowa. His name was Bill. We were talking about watching people in Jalalabad jump up and down celebrating the collapse of the Twin Towers. ?Put it right,? he said. ?Whatever we have to do to make us less hated.? He sees this as patriotic.

Treasury Secretary Paul O?Neill, with whom you toured Africa, resigned this morning. Will you still be heard in the administration?

Look, the administration cares deeply about Africa. The president is going there in January. And he has enormous interest in the way the U.S. is perceived in the rest of the world. I think President Bush is passionate about this subject. Our job is to turn his passion into cash.

I have to say, you don?t sound like a rock star dilettante.

I?m Irish?I rant. I can bore the arse off my best friends.

? 2002 Newsweek, Inc.

Back
Top Bottom