(12-11-2002) Little money donated to Bono, Judd's AIDS cause - Daily Nebraskan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.dailynebraskan.com/

Little money donated to Bono, Judd's AIDS cause

By MELISSA LEE
December 11, 2002

It's junk mail, mostly.

But Nelson Okuku Miruka keeps checking his box, hoping each day to find what he thought Nebraskans would be all too eager to send.

Not much luck lately for Miruka, president of Lincoln's Save Sub-Saharan Orphans, a recently formed group that sends money to AIDS orphans in Africa. Even after a visit from Bono and Ashley Judd on Dec. 1, World AIDS Day, people still aren't mailing in many donations.

"We are very disappointed," Miruka said. "Not as many people have reacted as we had hoped."

When Bono and Judd spoke to a packed Lied Center on Dec. 1, they called for greater AIDS awareness in the United States. They encouraged the audience to write to their congressmen and send donations to charity groups like Miruka's.

But since the celebrities left, Miruka has received just $406 worth of checks. It's far less than what he'd expected.

"We anticipated that when people realized the problem, they would respond more," said Miruka, who lost two sisters to AIDS. "A bit of disappointment has emerged."

An unfortunate question has emerged, too: Were some of those who so eagerly filled the Lied Center that Sunday night more interested in Bono himself or what the rock star was advocating?

Patrice McMahon, a University of Nebraska-Lincoln assistant professor of political science, says yes, at least for some people.

"I was disappointed but not that surprised," said McMahon, who sits on the board of the E.N. Thompson Forum on World Issues, which sponsored Bono and Judd's visit.

"I know lots of people were just excited to go because it was Bono and Ashley Judd."

The 1,500 tickets allotted to the public were snapped up in just 17 minutes when they became available Nov. 22. Clearly, demand was high, but Miruka hopes it wasn't because of the star status of the event's speakers.

"I think people's attention was diverted when Bono played," Miruka said. "We don't know if people were more interested in Bono's music than the cause he was fighting for."

It seems the event had at least some impact: Miruka said SSSO received no more than $300 in a normal month. December's donations have thus far surpassed that number.

And Bono's Lincoln stop has generated significant publicity that may help in the future, Miruka added. Nebraskans will be more likely to donate if they are more aware of the situation, he said.

Not all organizations have had bad luck, though. Nebraska AIDS Project sponsored the 10th annual Night of a Thousand Stars on Dec. 7 in Omaha, and plenty of donations poured in then, Miruka said.

The group, which has branches in Lincoln, Omaha, Kearney, Scottsbluff and Norfolk, raised an estimated $250,000 for AIDS prevention efforts that night, he said.

Miruka is glad to hear of that success, saying the efforts of Nebraska AIDS Project were "really excellent."

"But we really thought the people of Nebraska would help us more," he said. "Despite all the publicity, despite all our efforts."

That's discouraging to McMahon, who said she felt parts of the Lied Center event were poorly organized.

She wasn't impressed by the stars' presentations, and Bono and Judd made a couple of quick judgments, McMahon said.

"They were a little surprised when we weren't falling all over them," she said.

But both Miruka and McMahon hope more donations will start coming in. It may take some time yet, McMahon said.

Said Miruka: "I am still begging, really. I am still begging Nebraskans to understand my cry."

SSSO's current funds will be sent to Africa before Christmas, Miruka said, so children can have food, blankets and bed sheets as soon as possible.

The public can still help, however. Donations should be mailed to Save Sub-Saharan Orphans at P.O. Box 83995, Lincoln, Neb. 68501.

I think part of the problem is that overall, they (on the Heartland Tour) seemed to be stressing that private donations are not going to solve the problems, it's the government that needs to step up and make a difference. We do our part by writing and phoning our elected officials to let them know that this is where we want just a teensy fraction of our tax dollars to go. Heck, an enormous chunk of it wouldn't even be $$ out of pocket, just forgiving the old debt would make a huge difference.

I think you're right, bonosloveslave. DATA really does emphasize big time government help, in terms of billions of $$, rather than any one particular charity--or any private charity, actually. In fact, I think it's a bit of a misnomer to call this charity "Bono's charity" or "Ashley's charity". Charity is exactly what Bono and Ashley were not talking about. They were talking about political action. There are fifty gazillion charities in sub-Saharan Africa, and most people can only support one, if they can afford it at all. It's incredibly difficult to do fund-raising--I don't care who it is. It's harder than writing a letter to Congress or the President, that's for sure. It's two completely different things and it looks like there's a bit of confusion here. They did want to help this guy's charity but above all they're trying to change public perception about government aid to Africa, which has had a really bad rep here. This has got to change. From the sound of the article you'd think Ashley and Bono fell on their faces. I don't think this is the case. I don't blame the people for being frustrated, but honestly, the visitors did do their best.

Last edited:
If the audience there was mostly college students, U2 fans or not, I wouldn't expect them to have any extra money to give. I wonder if they distrubuted literature and made the group's address available to the news reporters to say on TV "go here to help today"?

At least the address showed up here.

maybe thats why TV evangelists end up harping so much on people sending money...it's so hard to get Americans to open their purses.

anyway, check is in the mail.

If you want to donate to the cause, Save Sub-Saharan Orphans, the address is:

Save Sub-Sarahan Orphans
P.O. Box 83995
Lincoln, Nebraska 68501

I dropped off a check today in the mail, this $ is going towards a good cause and one person can make a difference, even if the difference makes a change in your own life by giving back a little of all that we Americans take for granted everyday!

HelloAngel said:

An unfortunate question has emerged, too: Were some of those who so eagerly filled the Lied Center that Sunday night more interested in Bono himself or what the rock star was advocating?

I wondered about this too. I think, definitely Bono (and Ashley) draw attention and draw a crowd- the question is, are the people going just to see them or do they open their ears when they are there and listen too?

But if Bono didn't volunteer to do this, and it was some no-name or whatever, would this issue be as exposed to us? :shrug: probably not.

I agree with bonosloveslave though- I don't remember hearing B stress sending money. And Deb made a good point about the college students and who this is targeted at, who has the money.

Overall very interesting. *hoping & praying serious good change comes from their tour*

The writer of the article and the head of the charity are missing the point... the Heart of America tour did not drive around the country raising money, they drove around raising AWARENESS. Bono did not ask us to donate money at all... He mentioned a UN fund for Africa and I think the address for that is on some piece of literature distributed for those who want to help that way, but what was really stressed was government involvement, writing to your congressmen, the president, etc. I don't think Miruka OR the reporter were actually there, and if they were they obviously weren't listening.

[/my two cents]

I agree with you, Kristie. I don't think they're following logic. While I can understand the frustrations that must come out of needing hundreds of thousands and getting hundreds, I don't think they're being fair. DATA's emphasis is on political pressure, not charity. In fact, Bono says he hates the word "philanthropy". That's not complex. It amazes me that the article twists the whole thing like that---not bothering to differentiate between the charity and a political message. Come on! "Bono's and Ashley's charity"??? No. The article is sloppy, to say the least.

hang on-- I had to dig this up, it's from journalstar.com:

Lincoln was chosen as a tour site after Nelson Okuku Miruka asked the group to visit. Miruka is president of Lincoln's Save Sub-Saharan Orphans, a group whose mission is close to Bono's political concerns. The group helps African children orphaned by AIDS or other circumstances.

True, he has said this is not a charity, I think that's because he sees its systemic roots. It reflects deep social and economic problems, it's not going to be solved by buying them a Christmas turkey...

but he's also said that people are dying for the stupidest of reasons...money.

Money can pay for medicine, money can buy presents for kids who are orphaned because of AIDS.

My little donation and yours is a drop in the watering can, but they haven't turned on the hoses yet.

Debbie, I agree it's for a good cause and I'm giving $$. I just don't think the article in the paper was the best-written article I ever read. There is another article about it out today on it and it's better. They're getting more donations now and seem to be a good bit happier about the whole thing.

Last edited:
maybe not the best article written...They sure didn't mention Miruka organized the event to begin with--Bono was there because he asked him to come. I just thought that was distressing that the sponsoring organization wasn't receiving much support after everyone had been made "aware."

I'm glad to hear they are beginning to get some more help now. Where is the other article, I didn't see it here?

That particular article isn't in here, but the other donations are mentioned in another news item posted here--I think it's from AP and was carried by Yahoo. That article includes the URL of their web site.

Back
Top Bottom