(11-20-2002) U2 Fanclub Magazine, Propaganda, closes its doors - Interference.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.interference.com/

U2 Fanclub Magazine, Propaganda, closes its doors
November 20, 2002

Much groundswell erupted when U2's World Service magazine, Propaganda stopped accepting new registrants, ceased updating the http://www.u2propaganda.com/ website, and did not publish a new issue for nearly a year without much word.

Rumors were rampant among online fans - worried that Propaganda was going to close its doors. The last known "status update" on the Propaganda website was in February 2002, stating the next issue was to go to press imminently. No further information followed until Issue 33 quietly made its way through Ireland and various parts of Europe, only to make landfall in the USA 2-5 months later.

With the Elevation Tour making up the majority of the new issue, no supplements or "goodies" were included nor was any information offered regarding Propaganda's future as a publication or online venture.

Until today.

A member of Interference wrote to Terri Panaro of the USA office of Propaganda to inquire on the magazine's status and future. To quote, she said:

"We are no longer accepting renewals/new subscriptions to Propaganda per U2's request, as they will no longer be printing hard copies. You can now go to u2.com for info on the band. "

More information as it becomes available.

Last edited:
U2SavesTheWorld said:
Its sort of sad. I wish that subscribers could have gotten SOMETHING from them about it all ending.

Yeah, info would have been nice, wouldn't it? What would also be great is a $15 refund, since I only got one issue for my $20. What a freakin waste. :tsk:

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

Yeah, info would have been nice, wouldn't it? What would also be great is a $15 refund, since I only got one issue for my $20. What a freakin waste. :tsk:

DAMN! I didn't even think about that part....

Hmmmmmmmmm.

I am not a happy Propaganda subscriber.

:|

Thanks for ripping me off, U2.

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

Same here. :mad: :scream: :no: :mad:

Me too...they BETTER have at least spend that extra 15 bucks on something good...or otherwise I might be really mad. :madspit:
1 magazine and a ticket offer I couldn't even use. Thrills and chills.

Yeah, that is really not fair to you people who have paid for 4 issues.

I never was a member of Prop...right when I was actually thinking about it, that's when all the news started comin' out that they were shuttin' down.

I have wonderful timing, eh? :D

You know, I subscribed to Prop for years....not sure how many, but almost all of them, and I think I only did it for the collection value of the mag.

I mean it was great to get it and read it, etc. but not when it was so unpredictable.
Before I came to Interference I would pretty much forget about the mag and then it would just show up.

$20 a year? I don't think it was worth it.

But, thats life, right?

Weren't there rumors last year that Prop was going to go online and it would be a fee based site?

See.. now isnt this funny. U2 robs their fans of $15-20, but when Elvis asks for $12 for a year's membership to the best U2 forum on the net, people raise a big stink.

Sicy said:
See.. now isnt this funny. U2 robs their fans of $15-20, but when Elvis asks for $12 for a year's membership to the best U2 forum on the net, people raise a big stink.

You know what? I was thinking the same thing but I didn't want to say it because I thought I would get flamed.

I really would have expected multiple "Propaganda SUCKS" threads up by now judging by the "Why do we have to pay" threads that went up before.

:banghead:

i completely agree. i only got one issue myself (spring '01 which i received...in Sept. '01). i hate to say it, but it seemed to me like it was poorest functioning fan mag group out there (pay 'em and *maybe* you'll get a copy?) sure we can go to the U2 site, but it's nice to have a hard copy, especially when the magazines themselves were really beautiful and well laid out (tho the print was awful hard to read, imo).

Sicy - good point. *runs off to throw money at Elvis*

We'll the only reason I joined prop last year was because I was unable to get GA for the April 2001 shows. I wised up and joined and was able to get 2 GA tickets for the Nov 2001 shows.

I am not a collector so I don't care about the magazine. I only joined to get good tickets and I got them so I am happy. It was not 20 bucks wasted for me.

But for people that joined specifically for the magazine, yeah I guess that kinda sucks!

oktobergirl said:
We'll the only reason I joined prop last year was because I was unable to get GA for the April 2001 shows. I wised up and joined and was able to get 2 GA tickets for the Nov 2001 shows.

I joined Prop for the same reasons last spring, and also was able to get GA tix for the Nov shows. $20 for ticket insurance.

It makes me wonder, however, what will happen next time around if Prop is not around? Will we be thrown at the mercies of u2.com with it's "500,000 registered users"? That will work about as well as the whole pre-sale password thing did last tour...

Back
Top Bottom