(11-18-2002) Bono, Judd considering Lincoln stop for Thompson Forum - Daily Nebraskan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.dailynebraskan.com/

Bono, Judd considering Lincoln stop for Thompson Forum

By MELISSA LEE
November 18, 2002

Chances are good that rock star Bono and actress Ashley Judd will come to Lincoln as part of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's E.N. Thompson Forum on World Issues.

"I'd say it's 50/50 - maybe more," said Patrice McMahon, a UNL associate professor of political science who sits on the E.N. Thompson Forum board. "It's going to get pinned down this week."

If a contract is finalized, the two would appear Dec. 1 to raise funds for Save Sub-Saharan Orphans, a Lincoln volunteer group that sends money to African orphanages.

McMahon said a possible stop in Lincoln was the stars' idea.

"They're looking to go to college towns, and they indicated a desire to come here to Lincoln," she said.

Bono, lead singer for the rock group U2, has started a Midwestern tour with the group DATA, which stands for Debt, AIDS, Trade for Africa. He's looking to spread knowledge about the country's AIDS and economic crisis, McMahon said.

"I just hope it promotes interest in Africa," she said. "People don't know about how many orphans there are. This would help promote the organization."

Bono and Judd's star power probably would help generate buzz on campus about their mission, she added.

Some students already are gearing up for a Bono/Judd appearance. Sophomore art majors Mike Vithoulkas and Aaron Bruner said they'd consider attending the presentation.

"Yeah, I'd definitely be excited about that," Vithoulkas said.

It's a smart move on the stars' parts to use their fame to do good, Bruner added.

U2 is one of the most successful rock groups to date. The band's 2000 album, "All That You Can't Leave Behind," took home four Grammys in 2002, including Record of the Year.

Judd's recent films include this year's "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" and "High Crimes." She is the daughter of country music singer Naomi Judd.

Back
Top Bottom