(10-27-03) Christian Artists Cover U2 -- Sparrow Records *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
CHRISTIAN MUSIC COMMUNITY GATHERS TO CREATE IN THE NAME OF LOVE: ARTISTS UNITED FOR AFRICA

A CALL TO ACTION BY U2 FRONTMAN BONO BRINGS JARS OF CLAY, SIXPENCE NONE THE RICHER, NICHOLE NORDEMAN AND MORE TO CREATE THIS SPECIAL PROJECT

(NASHVILLE, TN) October 27, 2003-On January 27, 2004, Sparrow Records will release In The Name Of Love: Artists United for Africa, a benefit album that features the Christian artist community recording hits made popular by the world-renowned rock group U2. This album is the answer to a call for action
made by Bono, frontman and lead singer of U2, to awaken the church to the crisis in Africa. The artists include Sixpence None The Richer, Jars of Clay, Nichole Nordeman, Delirious, Audio Adrenaline, tobyMac, Tait, Chris Tomlin, Pillar, Grits, Sanctus Real and more. A complete artist and song listing is below.

In December of 2002, Bono met with several Christian artists and industry leaders in Nashville to share his heart and ask for their help in bringing awareness to the emergency in Africa. His call to the Christian music community was to help "awaken the church" to the crisis in Africa. In The Name of Love is an answer to that call and stands as a heartfelt tribute and a practical means to channel prayer and resources to fight against AIDS in Africa.

"The goal of this album is to inform the Christian community about the crisis in Africa," states Peter York, Sparrow Records President. "Bono has been a powerful voice in raising awareness with this issue and it's important for the Christian community to come alongside and help support this cause."

In addition, the cover and packaging for In The Name Of Love was designed under the creative direction of Steve Averill of Four 5 One Design, who has created the artwork for virtually all of U2 albums.

A portion of the proceeds from In The Name Of Love: Artists United For Africa will go directly to help fight the African AIDS crisis. In addition, the CD will be enhanced and will feature written excerpts from Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2 (Relevant Books) and The aWAKE Project: Uniting Against the African AIDS Crisis (Thomas Nelson). The first single released
to radio will be "Beautiful Day" from Sanctus Real to CHR and Rock Radio formats and will go for adds on October 31st.

Track listing (in no particular order):

Jars Of Clay--All I Want Is You
Sixpence None The Richer--Love Is Blindness
Nichole Nordeman -Grace
tobyMac--Mysterious Ways
Audio Adrenaline-Gloria
Pillar--Sunday Bloody Sunday
Chris Tomlin--Where The Streets Have No Name
Tait--One
Delirious-Pride
Grits--With Or Without You
Todd Agnew--When Love Came To Town
Sanctus Real--Beautiful Day
Starfield--40

--Sparrow Records

Thanks LeighAnne!

*Is curious to hear Jars Of Clay and Sixpence None The Richer's versions of the songs*

That's really cool that these artists are doing this! :up:.

The best part: I know some kids who listen to these artists mentioned. Hopefully they'll buy the CD and be inspired as a result. That'd be awesome.

Angela

Last edited:
Artists I'd Like to See...

the violet burning
CUSH
the Choir
Mike Knott
starflyer59
absinthe blind
honey
guardian (defunct)
Mortal/Fold Zandura
kings x

wow, sounds like a bunch of nobodies trying to cash in by playing already old, classic, and respected songs. Anybody can be a coverband. Plenty of people have already covered u2. What's the point of this album, to prove how superior the original versions of the songs are compared to these "original" covers of u2's great works?

Hi theblazer,

If you go back and read the original post it says:

"The goal of this album is to inform the Christian community about the crisis in Africa," states Peter York, Sparrow Records President. "Bono has been a powerful voice in raising awareness with this issue and it's important for the Christian community to come alongside and help support this cause."

A portion of the proceeds from In The Name Of Love: Artists United For Africa will go directly to help fight the African AIDS crisis.

These are also not a 'bunch of nobodies', most of these groups/people are big names in Christian music....

Wow, big names in the Christian music scene...that's saying a lot. :rolleyes: Oh well, let them butcher whatever songs they like I suppose.

the album is marketed for those consumers who buy into CCM... which believe me, there are a lot more of those people than you'd think... besides, it just might spark their interest in U2 again.

I think it's a perfect chance for the Christian communtiy to get plugged into the AIDS crisis. And maybe some will begin to see past the cigarette in Bono's mouth and see the Christ-like life he is living out in the world. Mostly, it's a great benefit for Africa.

Is anyone else wondering what the Grits, a hip-hop group, will do with WOWY? They're good, but I can't imagine what that will sound like...

JeffD

i look cool, i am cool - larry

Last edited:
I'm glad they are doing this. Yes, it's a good way for the Christian community to get involved in the AIDS crisis issue. I'm actually not into CCM that much personally but this is cool.

theblazer said:
Wow, big names in the Christian music scene...that's saying a lot. :rolleyes: Oh well, let them butcher whatever songs they like I suppose.

This story was posted to inform the general community about this upcoming charity tribute CD, not to discuss the pros and cons of cover songs or Christian music. If you'd like to discuss certain artists, genres or songs, you can do the in the Bang and the Clatter forum. If you are going to bash this project, I will have to close this thread.

Thanks.

theSoulfulMofo said:
the album is marketed for those consumers who buy into CCM... it just might spark their interest in U2 again.

SoulfulMofo (and anyone else familiar with the CCM market): Do you think that those consumers were ever really interested in U2? I don't remember ever seeing a U2 LP or CD in the bin at my local Christian Book and Music store.

Liub

Liub said:

SoulfulMofo (and anyone else familiar with the CCM market): Do you think that those consumers were ever really interested in U2? I don't remember ever seeing a U2 LP or CD in the bin at my local Christian Book and Music store.

Liub

I think U2 stuff are not sold in Christian bookstores, because they are not exactly evangelical or Gospel (as in delivering a message) oriented.

IMO, I think a lot of CCM consumers, or should I say strictly CCM people... (um, how should I say this)... don't have a taste for music outside of CCM, because those stuff are irrelevant in their lives.... so they don't listen to secular music. But that's just the way I see things; I once was kinda like that too.

Re: Artists I'd Like to See...

theSoulfulMofo said:
the violet burning
CUSH
the Choir
Mike Knott
starflyer59
absinthe blind
honey
guardian (defunct)
Mortal/Fold Zandura
kings x

YES!!

alright, let me just say this...

I'm the music manager at a Family Christian Bookstore in Illinois and I can tell you from an inside point of view that ALOT of people who listen to CCM listen to all sorts of different music. You shouldn't be so quick to pigeon-hole here.

And as far as U2 goes, MOST people who listen to Christian music LOVE U2. In fact, we have a book at work called "The 100 greatest albums of Christian Music" and guess what's at number 6? "The Joshua Tree". And there's two other U2 albums on the list. In fact, most CCM fans consider U2 a kind of "bridge" between Christian music and Secular music.

I think that this is absolutely wonderful!! I can tell you that it will probably sell like MAD! I know the second that we get it at work I'm bringing it home immedietly.

Thank for your insight everythingu2! Family Christian Bookstores is one of my favorite places to shop (I'm in MI near Lansing) - thank goodness for the Family Perks cards :)

One of the artists on this album, Todd Agnew, is a musician at my church here in Memphis. Todd's version of WLCTT has got some funk and is a pleasant departure from the original song. He has given it a nice blend of blues, rock and soul...everything that song was to begin with.

Todd is the featured muscian at the church's weekly gathering of collegians and young professionals. You can check out his story by visiting here

everythingU2 said:
And as far as U2 goes, MOST people who listen to Christian music LOVE U2. In fact, we have a book at work called "The 100 greatest albums of Christian Music" and guess what's at number 6? "The Joshua Tree". And there's two other U2 albums on the list. In fact, most CCM fans consider U2 a kind of "bridge" between Christian music and Secular music.

Cool! I had no idea. Thanks for sharing!

U2 has had a HUGE impact on CCM and praise and worship music. Pick up any Passion CD, Worship Together, etc.. and you'll hear U2 in soooo many songs.

Delirous? wow - major U2 lovers.
Chris Tomlin, Charlie Hall, and countless others.

In fact, the 'style' of music that is played in most evangelical praise bands today, closely resembles the genre that is U2. Edge's modern guitar style is played every Sunday in my church thanks to my les paul, delay and vox amplifier.

;)

Mark

U2 is probably the biggest influence of modern Christian music today. Many artists claim them as their biggest inspiration in their musical careers. Yes, many Chistians love U2 a lot, why else would they play their songs during worship such as "40" or "WTSHNN"?

Back
Top Bottom