(10-21-2002) Radiohead top U2 for Best Act at the Q Awards - DotMusic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.dotmusic.com/

Mon 21 Oct 2002 14:00
Q AWARDS: WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Radiohead have been named Best Act In The World Today at the 13th Annual Q Awards, dotmusic can report.

The Oxford band beat off stiff competition from Oasis, Coldplay, Stereophonics and U2 to take home the coveted award for a second consecutive year.

Oasis walked away empty-handed from the star-studded London ceremony, despite having been nominated for three awards.

Elsewhere, Coldplay were awarded Best Album for their current release, 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head', having won the same award two years ago for their debut album, 'Parachutes'.

Welsh crooner, Tom Jones, was presented with the Q Merit Award in recognition for the "longevity, style and charisma" of his musical career.

Music label exec and Pop Idol judge, Simon Cowell, was given the Q Unwanted Award and banned from attending today's event.

The 2002 Q Awards winners in full:

Best New Act
Electric Soft Parade

The Q Merit Award
Tom Jones

Best Single
Sugababes 'Freak Like Me'

Best Video
Pink 'Get The Party Started'

Best Producer
Moby

The Q Innovation Award
Depeche Mode

Best Live Act
The Hives

Best Album
Coldplay - 'A Rush of Blood to the Head'

Q Inspiration Award
Echo And The Bunnymen

Q Classic Songwriter Award
Jimmy Cliff

Best Act In The World Today
Radiohead

Q Unwanted Award
Simon Cowell

The 13th Annual Q Awards will be broadcast on Channel 4 tomorrow night at 11.30pm.

Radiohead deserve it!

at least they havent sold out, and they are creating new music, not a greatest hits.

long live radiohead, and maybe they can put some potential back into U2's ambitious music. Because whatever it is lately but I think U2 has been listening to the wrong music for influence.. I.E.: electrical storm, "all that you cant stomach"'; need I say more?

tchlowlife said:
Radiohead deserve it!

at least they havent sold out, and they are creating new music, not a greatest hits.

long live radiohead, and maybe they can put some potential back into U2's ambitious music. Because whatever it is lately but I think U2 has been listening to the wrong music for influence.. I.E.: electrical storm, "all that you cant stomach"'; need I say more?

While I agree that Radiohead deserves it, I love Radiohead...they are band 1a in my book. I cant follow you on the whole "selling out" thing. What is the true definition of selling out? Capitalizing on great music by making a greates hits?? If thats what you cite then what about Radiohead capitalizing on thier succes by releasing that live album? Dont get me wrong I really liked it, but as a die hard fan of both bands I have to back U2. I guess I just dont get the definition of selling out...

U2 and Radiohead are my favourite bands as well. I think in some ways U2 have been trying to cash in too... but definately not sell outs. They are trying to change the world... they are not afraid to try to do things like that.... so sellouts definately not.

My main concern with U2 is that their age is starting to show in their music... All That you Can't Leave Behind was a good album but the songs seemed less rebelious and deep... I hope their next album is a lot more meaningful...

I still remember that one episode of "South Park"...conversation between Cartman and either Kyle or Stan...

Cartman: "I'm not a sellout! What's a sellout?"

Kyle or Stan: "If you are in the entertainment business, and you make a lot of money, you are a sellout!"

Back
Top Bottom