(10-21-03) Image of Bono -- ShowBiz Ireland *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
That Painting is the Image of Bono...

Once the artist now the subject, U2 singer Bono was immortalised last night by the National Gallery commissioned painter Louis le Brocquy in a portrait "Image of Bono."

portrait-bono1.jpg

"Image of Bono"

Last night the National Gallery of Ireland unveiled its specially commissioned oil portrait of Bono "Image of Bono" by Ireland's most important living painter, Louis le Brocquy.

portrait-bono2.jpg

Bono at the National Gallery

The painting is the fifth in a series of portraits commissioned for the Irish National Portrait Collection. It will be on display to the public from October 21, 2003 in the National Gallery.

portrait-bono3.jpg

Bono at the National Gallery

This honour comes hot on the heals of Bono launching his own set of paintings of Peter and the Wolf aided by his two young daughters for the Irish hospice foundation.

portrait-bono4.jpg

Bono hugs Louis le Brocquy

Referring to his work, Louis le Brocquy said: "In the past, I have painted an extensive series of interiorised head images of artists such as Samuel Beckett and Francis Bacon, WB Yeats and Seamus Heaney whom I see as extraordinary instances of human consciousness."

He went on: "In more recent years, I have made a number of similar studies of Bono, whose spirit and whose radiant energy I admire so much. But a painting destined for the National Portrait Gallery presents a different challenge; to make a recognisable image of Bono's outward appearance, while attempting to portray what I conceive to be the wavelengths of his inner dynamism."

Last edited:
ouizy said:
I think it is shite - it makes Bono look like the devil.

The devil is the first thing I thought of too, and I don't mean in a cool way like MacPhisto. Either the fires of hell or the "Great and powerful Wizard of Oz" thing the man behind the curtain projected out with all the fire.

Perhaps it's in the eyes, they look young where his sunglasses normaly are but the rest looks old... Dunno but it obviously would look better in real life anyways.

Sandman, Sandman, Sandma.......

I like it. They're are many photos of Bono looking like the devil, and this doesn't.

ouizy said:
I think it is shite - it makes Bono look like the devil.

Agreed.

I'd like to ask the artist what inspired him...this isn't a fun, MacPhisto type of portrayal...this looks rather evil.

I haven't decided what I think of this portrait. The more I look at it the more I think about "what happen to your face of melting snow" think this artist was listening to acrobat at the time? At least I've moved away from thinking of his inner demons being portrayed. I know nothing about critiquing art, anyway.

Yep. Looks like the Devil to me, too. If he had used different colors like blues and greens or purples and blues it might not look so creepy.

"the lines on your face are a map to your soul"- bono (summer rain)

i think it's brilliant. not that flatering, but im sure there is a deeper meaning behind it.

the devil ... maybe.... his face melting..... possibly.....

you know ... i think this is the perfect capture of bono.... i dont pretend to have met him nor do i claim to have known him... as a fan i see in this painting the idea that the man.. exudes passion and emotion in everything he does... the face is distorted... but the eyes are clear unwavering and true. It has always been said that the eyes are a window to the soul. this depiction of bono to me gives the notion that everything around the man, bono, may falter and wither ... but what he stands for will always be clear and true. the essence of the man will always be a definite. the message he bears will always reach out to people.

just my thought on it......

knyght.......

everything you know is wrong........

Lemon Meringue said:
Yep. Looks like the Devil to me, too. If he had used different colors like blues and greens or purples and blues it might not look so creepy.

Exactly, the "problem" (if can be call it a problem) are the colors, because of it looks as the devil

It reminds me of an ancient carving in stone.

"...carved into stone
On the face of earth"

It's cracked

"the coal face cracked.."

I understand what it's supposed to be, but it looks too sinsister. It's awful devilish. Bono is a good soul and he deserved a better representation. I'm sure the majority of people who view it will see it the way most of us have. What a shame to have this good man immortalized this way.

Back
Top Bottom