(10-17-2002) U2 - 'ELECTRICAL STORM' (ISLAND) - DotMusic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.dotmusic.com/

Thu 17 Oct 2002 15:47
Released on: Mon 21 Oct 2002

U2 - 'ELECTRICAL STORM' (ISLAND)

electricalstorm_100.jpg

The alarming thing about U2's crowning as 'Biggest Band In The World' a couple of years back was perhaps not that the 'honour' had been bestowed upon them, rather that it was on the back of a rather benign record.

Because, although 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' had some moments of classic U2 kaboom, it also smacked of a group going through the motions and parading to a baying crowd slobbering at the prospect of little more than a rock'n'roll zerox.

Likewise, 'Electrical Storm' contains all the rudimentary U2 gasoline - the chiming, Edge guitar elastic, a Herculean chorus, Bono, naturally, howling 'baby don't cry' - and grows to an overblown, widescreen denoument. Which for many, will clearly 'do'.

However, the more cynical may conclude that the days of urgency and pushing it out - and they have had their moments - are some considerable distance, and time, behind U2, judging by the trundling predictability of this record.

Obvious, rather low blows

After POP, U2 was forced into a corner where if they continued with their path they would be publicly ostracized. But, if they gave into public pressure they would abandon their punk roots and lose footing with us, the fans. All That You Can't Leave Behind was a record they had to make, so that a new, better U2 could emerge from the lemon that was the 90's.

The writers who criticized All That You Can't Leave Behind are merely grasping at straws to contradict U2's public presence. Electrical Storm is not a step forward for the group, but its not meant to be. Its to celebrate a decade, and to leave behind a set list of great music... to walk on to better times.

I personally really like the song now..but the reviewer is entitled to think differently. However, I pretty much turn off any review that slags or overly praises the previous album....it kind of ruins their credibility with me.

Back
Top Bottom