(09-21-2002) Transcript from Bono's Appearance on 'After the Show' - Oprah.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.oprah.com/

Rock Star Bono's Mission
tows_after_20020920_120.jpg

To watch video of the program, visit: http://www.oprah.com/tows/after/200209/tows_after_20020920.jhtml

Audience Member: Many people talk the talk, but you walk the walk. Your convictions humble me and it's a wonderful thing to see.

Bono: I'd like to say that the right to be ridiculous is something I hold very dear also?and the right to be silly. And I'm as hard to get out of bed as the next person, honestly, but thank you.

Bono: One of the things I hope we got across is that this is an emergency. There are problems all over the world. This is an emergency. That's why I think it's time right now?even in the midst of uncertain times in the world.

Bono: Oprah has spent a lot of time and resources on this problem. Bill Gates is somebody we're involved with, and he's got the deepest pockets of anyone. But his pockets aren't deep enough to fix this. This is a political problem. The good news is that if it's a political problem, it belongs to the people.

Oprah: At least [the politicians] have heard you. That's because of who you are.

Bono: The new and upcoming politicians?they seem to have this on their mind. But, it's not enough to have moral conviction. You have to be convicted enough to act.

Oprah: Do you ever get intimidated meeting with these [powerful people]?

Bono: I don't feel that it's me going in to meet these people. I feel I'm representing all those people who don't have a voice. It gives me courage and, in truth, they should be intimidated by the people we represent.

Bono: The people who drove it home [in England], as much as the students and activists were a part of it, were mothers. That has been really powerful? [the support from] mothers and women's groups. They're not scared of me, but when women start getting organized, they [politicians] get scared.

Audience Member: This message has to get across to the younger generation, through parents and teachers, that what you're doing isn't special. It's human. It's expected. It's a human responsibility.

Oprah: America's not just a country, it's an idea. We need to see it as our responsibility to help our brothers.

Oprah: How has this passion fueled your work on stage?

Bono: I was very humbled to find out that the less time I spent in the studio, the better the music seemed to get! The band is really supportive of my work. They just wish the people I was hanging out with weren't so un-hip!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom