(09-16-2003) Bono Has Talk With Bush Over AIDS Funds -- AP *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Has Talk With Bush Over AIDS Funds
Bono Says He Has 'Good Ole Row' With President Bush Over AIDS Spending

The Associated Press

WX11909161533.jpeg

Entertainer Bono, right, meets reporters in Washington, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2003, where he joined leaders from some of America's largest religious groups today to call on President Bush and Congress to keep America's promise to Africa by fully funding AIDS and anti-poverty initiatives in the Foreign Operations Appropriations bill. Bishop John Ricard of Pensacola, Fla., chairman, International Policy Committee, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops looks on at left. (AP Photo/Matthew Cavanaugh)

WASHINGTON ? Bono, the Irish rock star and social activist, said Tuesday he had a "good ole row" with President Bush over global AIDS funding.

"He's very passionate about these problems and I believe him," Bono said after their White House meeting. "I just can't agree with the numbers."

Bush signed the Global AIDS Act in May that authorized $3 billion to fund global AIDS programs for 2004, but Congress has allocated only $2 billion. Both the president and members of Congress say developing countries wouldn't be able to make use of the extra money.

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said after the Bono-Bush meeting, "The president has shown unprecedented leadership in the fight against AIDS."

This is not the first Bono involvement with the administration on AIDS policy. He traveled to South Africa in May 2002 with then-Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill to see firsthand the situation in that country.

He also has met with French President Jacques Chirac to push for increased spending on AIDS.

Lead singer for the band U2, Bono has long championed political causes, but he said AIDS is different.

"The AIDS emergency is just that. It's not a cause. We're not here peddling a cause. We're not looking to get into America's wallet for another cause. Several thousand people dying a day is not a cause, it's an emergency," Bono said at a news conference after his meeting with Bush.

Bono is founder of Debt AIDS Trade Africa, which works with religious groups concerned with global disease and hunger issues.

Thanks Allegra!

whaaa...? bush? not sticking to his word? what a SHOCKER!!!!!! *sarcasm* bush has the kiss of death. he touts something then cuts it. especially with education. just read "It's Still the Economy, Stupid!" by Paul Begala. you'll be armed with attack after attack against bush.

U2andPolitix said:
you'll be armed with attack after attack against bush.
Bono was able to get billions in dollars worth of aid for Africa precisely because he didn't attack president Bush, but instead set an example for ideologues everywhere by being nonpartisan and engaging in a constructive dialog.
This is just one of the many reasons why Bono is once again in the running for the Nobel Peace Prize.

All I know is that Bono had better watch what he says about president Bush. I think Bush is too war happy to think about ANYTHING ELSE in the world. He's like the kid who loves to play with his little plastic military soldiers, and was suddenly given control over the world's largest and most powerful military.

But still, Americans are funny about people who bash the president. Remember the Dixie Chicks? They made a derogatory comment about the president, and it nearly ruined their careers, lives. He doesn't need American pissed off at him right when the new U2 album is being released. Maybe he forgets he's in a band.

The_acrobat said:
But still, Americans are funny about people who bash the president.
The point I was making is that Bono sets a good example because he never bashes anyone, but rather first and foremost he shows respect towards all people as human beings before getting involved in a political debate.

For example, while some people were derogatorily calling prime minister Tony Blair "Bush's lapdog", Bono went out of his way to first say that he thought Blair was a great politician who was sincere in his beliefs, and only then did he go on to discuss their differences.

This is in sharp contrast to the animosity that many political advocates generate when they demonstrate a tendency to demonize people who have a different worldview than their own.

damn, I hat Bono does that

he's almost sucking bush's feet

I think he should be insulting and attacking him in any possible time and way

rio589 said:
I think he should be insulting and attacking him in any possible time and way
Bono "insulting and attacking" Bush = no U.S. aid for Africa
Bono being civil and non-partisan = $2 billion in U.S. aid for Africa

All of the Africans who will be helped by that money will be glad that Bono doesn't give in to the bad blood that many people seem to be consumed with these days.

In the same way that some right-wingers are judgemental and bigoted towards "Communist liberals", lately it seems like some left-wingers are becoming judgemental and bigoted towards "Christian conservatives" (i.e.- Bush). Sadly, both sides are demonstrating how it's easier to give in to hatred than it is to take the time and effort to understand the other side.

Thankfully, we've got Bono's example to show us that it's possible to disagree with people from different cultural and political backgrounds while still being respectful towards them as God's creatures.

Bono treated both Bill Clinton (left-winger) and George Bush (right-winger) with the same level of courtesy and respect, and that speaks volumes about his character that many people around the world could learn a great deal from.

I will admit this does anger me and i hope bush gets his act together and does the right thing but i doubt it

Back
Top Bottom