(09-03-2002) U2 'Best Of' Boasts B-Sides, DVD - Billboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.billboard.com/

Edited by Jonathan Cohen / September 03, 2002, 11:00 AM

u2.gif

U2 'Best Of' Boasts B-Sides, DVD

A limited edition bonus disc of B-sides and a DVD will accompany U2's second hits collection, "U2: The Best of 1990-2000," due Nov. 5 through Interscope. Dubbed "The Best of the B-Sides," the 14-track second disc includes such songs as "Summer Rain" and "Your Blue Room," as well as remixes of U2 tracks by the likes of Paul Oakenfold and Alan Moulder. The bonus DVD will boast exclusive content, including the "History Mix of U2 in the '90s."

As previously reported, "U2: The Best of 1990-2000" features two new songs, "Electrical Storm" and "The Hands That Built America." The former will be released as a single and will be supported by an Anton Corbijn-directed video starring actress Samantha Morton ("Minority Report") as a mermaid. The clip was recently shot in the French seaside town Eze.

"The Hands That Built America," meanwhile, will also be featured on the soundtrack to Martin Scorsese's long-anticipated "Gangs of New York." The Miramax film, which stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day Lewis, and Cameron Diaz, is scheduled to open Dec. 25 in U.S. theaters.

The 16-track "1990-2000" disc includes such well known U2 songs as "Even Better Than the Real Thing," "Mysterious Ways," and last year's smash, "Beautiful Day." Four songs -- "Discotheque," "Gone," "Numb," and "Staring at the Sun" -- appear as "substantially reworked" versions courtesy of producer Mike Hedges.

The Irish quartet will follow up the audio collection with a "Best of 1990 - 2000" DVD, set for a Dec. 3 release. The set will include videos for songs on the A-sides disc along with commentary from directors Corbijn, Wim Wenders, Kevin Godley, Stephane Sednaoui, and Jonas Akerlund. The title will also feature alternative versions of video clips made for different countries, as early cuts, or to accompany different mixes, as well as six bonus tracks: "Please," " If God Will Send His Angels," "Wild Horses," "Lemon," "Last Night on Earth," and "Mofo."

The DVD will also include the short documentary "The Road to Sarajevo." The piece was filmed as the U2 prepared to perform in the Bosnian capital in 1997, and includes footage from the concert.

Here is the "U2: The Best of 1990-2000" track listing:

"Even Better Than the Real Thing"
"Mysterious Ways"
"Beautiful Day"
"Electrical Storm" (William Orbit Mix)
"One"
"Miss Sarajevo"
"Stay (Faraway, So Close!)"
"Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of"
"Gone" (new mix)
"Until the End of the World"
"The Hands That Built America"
"Discotheque" (new mix)
"Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me"
"Staring at the Sun" (new mix)
"Numb" (new mix)
"The First Time"

Here is "The Best of the B-Sides" track listing:

"Lady With the Spinning Head" (Extended Dance Mix)
"Dirty Day" (Junk Day Mix)
"Electrical Storm"
"Summer Rain"
"North & South of the River"
"Your Blue Room"
"Happiness Is a Warm Gun" (The Gun Mix)
"Salome" (Zooromancer Mix)
"Even Better Than the Real Thing" (Perfecto Mix)
"Numb" (Give Me Some More Dignity Mix)
"Mysterious Ways" (Solar Plexus Club Mix)
"If God Will Send His Angels" (Big Yam Mix)
"Lemon" (Jeep Mix)
"Discotheque" (Hexidecimal Mix)

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

Back
Top Bottom