(09-03-2002) Bono On-hand for Indian Children's Benefit Dinner - Ananova

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.ananova.com/

Melanie's Hollywood party invite to Indian street children

Melanie Griffith says she is planning to invite a group of penniless Indian street children to share her Hollywood home. Griffith is honorary president of the Sabera Foundation, a charity which provides aid to young girls living on the streets of Calcutta. She was so moved by their plight on a recent trip to the Indian city that she has invited 15 of them to stay in the Los Angeles mansion she shares with husband Antonio Banderas. Griffith revealed her plans at a glittering charity dinner in the south of France to raise funds for the Foundation and Aids charity Amfar.

The event was hosted by Sting's wife Trudie Styler at a luxury villa in the hills above Cannes. Other stars there included Bryan Adams, Naomi Campbell, Pamela Anderson, Ricky Martin and Bono.

Griffith is honorary president of the foundation, along with Penelope Cruz. The Foundation has set up an orphanage which has taken 140 girls from the streets and provided them education.

Describing her recent trip to Calcutta Griffith said: "It was an overwhelming experience and at one point I had to go in a corner and break down.

"At first I was so depressed. It made me feel like I wanted to give everything I owned away except for what I need to survive.

"That's not very realistic, so the best thing I can do is use my celebrity and my money to help them."

Griffith is hosting another benefit party in LA on October 10 and she said: "I am bringing 15 of the girls to stay in our house. They are the most beautiful young girls and they deserve a chance in life."

Story filed: 21:45 Tuesday 3rd September 2002

Thank you, Bonochick!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom