(08-20-2002) Longtime U2 Producer Daniel Lanois Signs To Anti - Billboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.billboard.com/

Edited by Jonathan Cohen / August 20, 2002, 11:00 AM

daniel-lanois.gif

Daniel Lanois Signs To Anti

Storied producer/musician/songwriter Daniel Lanois has signed to Epitaph Records' Anti imprint, home to such noted artists as Tom Waits, Merle Haggard, and Solomon Burke. Lanois' as-yet-untitled fourth album and first for the label is due in January, according to his official Web site.

"Daniel Lanois is one of the most fascinating artists of the rock era," Anti president Andy Kaulkin said in a statement. "His style is both instantly recognizable and completely original. We are very proud to be working with a true icon at the peak of his creativity."

The set will be Lanois' first studio release in nearly a decade and is the follow-up to 1993's "For the Beauty of Wynona" (Warner Bros.), which hit No. 26 on Billboard's Heatseekers chart. The album is said to be much in the vein of his past work, although more personal and spiritual in nature.

"My nomadic travels over the years have brought me much life experience, snapshots of which appear on this record," Lanois said of the album. "I've also rediscovered my first love: the steel guitar. I believe it has rescued me one more time."

In the last decade, Lanois has found himself mostly in the production role, working with such artists as U2 on the Irish quartet's lauded 2001 set "All That You Can't Leave Behind," which won him a Grammy and a Juno Award. He has also helmed albums for Bob Dylan ("Time Out of Mind," "Oh Mercy"), Peter Gabriel ("So," "Us," "Birdy"), and Willie Nelson ("Teatro"), and performed various instruments on those artist's releases as well.

Although unnamed, several songs are confirmed for Lanois' new collection, notably "Sometimes," which the label describes as "perhaps the thematic cornerstone of the album," and the stark "Sweet Soul Honey." Also slated for the set are several instrumentals, including the hymn-like pedal steel guitar track "JJ Leaves LA." The Los Angeles Times recently reported that "several of his star clients are expected to contribute vocals" to the album.

A native of Quebec who was last year inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, Lanois is organizing a spring tour in support of the Anti album. A show at New York's famed Carnegie Hall is among the planned stops. His most recent live outing was a two-night performance in June as part of the Montreal International Jazz Festival.

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

Back
Top Bottom