(08-12-2003) U2 on 'Grey Whistle' Comes to DVD - Newsday *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.newsday.com/

Now Hear This

TV music sets like "Saturday Night Live" are mushrooming on DVD and CD.

The Old Grey Whistle Test (releasing Sept. 16, one disc, $25, BBC Video) spans roughly the same era (1971-87), when the BBC weekly showcased the likes of John Lennon, Bob Marley, The Ramones, The Police, U2 and Tom Waits. They're all on this three-hour disc of 28 unseen-in-America appearances (plus interviews and commentary).

Copyright ? 2003, Newsday, Inc.

I hope they release the set U2 did when JT came out. I have an old video of 'God's Country' and 'Exit' being performed, but I'm sure they did a few more numbers.

I found this review of The Old Grey Whistle Test two-disc set on amazon.co.uk.

However, the good stuff collected here is very good, both in terms of performance (Tom Petty snarling "American Girl", a pre-irony U2 whooping up "I Will Follow") and historical interest, notably a shockingly youthful Elton John crooning "Tiny Dancer" and reminding us, in the process, of a time when he was regarded as a cool and hip singer-songwriter, rather than understudy to the Queen Mother. --Andrew Mueller

BBC 2 recently showed a highlight's series from the OGWT and they showed U2 playing "Exit". Maybe it will end up on this year's OGWT DVD. I think "I Will Follow" was on last year's.

a hearty ol' BUMP!
I just got this dvd :hyper:
and to answer your question about live vs. lip sync...
it's live, baby LIVE.
And whatta stacked dvd it is...
LOTS of performances...including REM, Blondie, Lynyrd Skynyrd...U2...must I go on?
Awesome and highly recommended :up: :up:
*edited to add the point that it's like 190 minutes long*
so there is ALOT of bands and artists on there...great stuff :drool:

Last edited:
I got this dvd last night, well worth the price. Although I don't understand why the instrumental break of IWF was cut....:down: But Bono dancing all over the place in his leather pants is priceless, lol.

I also loved the interviews with John Lennon, Keith Richards (broken teeth and a voice that is barely audible, LOL). Some of the performances are great - Rory Gallagher, Elton, Blondie, Ramones, REM (Michael Stipe actually has hair). Also, that wild instrumental by the Edgar Winters group - the freaky guy with the white hair playing the keyboards, drums, and sax.

Back
Top Bottom