(07-19-2003) Photos of Bono at Madiba's Party - Yahoo *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030719/capt.1058643350.south_africa_mandela_birthday_xoz103.jpg[/SIMG]
Bono Attends Nelson Mandela's 85th Birthday Celebration

Bono and Ali Hewson attended the 85th birthday celebration of former South African President Nelson Mandela (Madiba) on Saturday in Johannesburg. Among the celebrity guests, in addition to the Hewsons, were former US President Bill Clinton, supermodel Naomi Campbell and Oprah Winfrey. It has been reported that Bono took to the stage with fellow Irish band The Corrs to sing for Mandela.

Below are pictures we have found of the event:

capt.1058643350.south_africa_mandela_birthday_xoz103.jpg

Irish rock star Bono arrives with wife Ali Hewson at Nelson Mandela' s 85th star studded birthday party celebration in Johannesburg, Saturday July 19, 2003. (AP Photo/Obed Zilwa)

capt.1058654146.south_africa_mandela_birthday_xjoh110.jpg

Irish rock star Bono, right, performs with local star Yvonne Chaka Chaka during former South African President Nelson Mandela's 85th birthday party celebration in Johannesburg, Saturday July 19, 2003. (AP Photo/Themba Hadebe, Pool)

capt.1058657872.south_africa_mandela_birthday_xjoh116.jpg

Anglican Archbishop Desmond Tutu dances with guests at former South African President Nelson Mandela's 85th birthday party celebration in Johannesburg, Saturday July 19, 2003. (AP Photo/Themba Hadebe, POOL)

So they did change the caption? When I first found the pic it labeled Ali as "unidenified partner" :der: I was wondering when someone was going to set them straight it was his wife of over 20 years :huh: Or was it you who changed it for this story? Just wondering.

(speaking of captions change the name of this thread to Mandela and then edit this out;) )

Last edited:
Seabird said:
Or was it you who changed it for this story? Just wondering.

(speaking of captions change the name of this thread to Mandela and then edit this out;) )

I changed the name in the caption to Ali.

Why should I change the name of this thread? Madiba is a loving nickname for Mandela, and is used in many news stories and reports on him. I think I'll leave it.

No problem - "Madiba" is a weird looking word. But it's something people endearingly call him nevertheless I guess :) :shrug:

I am so glad to see Bono and Ali there, celebrating with Mandela. Such an outstanding existence, such an inexhaustible strenght, such an admirable man. They were in the right place with the right people, celebrating life.

Am I the only one here missing a proper speech that could have been delivered by Bono this time around? Anyways, I hope someone gets his performance along with Yvonne Chaka Chaka and The Corrs in mp3 onto to net soon.

:cute: They look fabulous! I love Ali's dress!

(I'm thinking maybe it's lightly lined, but my monitor is dying a slow death.)

Damn, you can really see the make-up line on bono's throat/neck in that third picture that Seabird posted.

HelloAngel said:
capt.1058643350.south_africa_mandela_birthday_xoz103.jpg

Irish rock star Bono arrives with wife Ali Hewson at Nelson Mandela' s 85th star studded birthday party celebration in

[/B]

That's the exact same dress Ali wore to MusiCares. Only this one is purple, the other one was red. :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom