(07-17-2003) More on Doctor Bono - LAUNCH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://launch.yahoo.com/

Bono Receives Honorary Degree From Trinity College

(7/17/03, 5 p.m. ET) -- Last Friday (July 11) U2's Bono was awarded an honorary Doctor in Laws degree from Dublin's famed Trinity College in recognition of his humanitarian work on behalf of world poverty and Third World debt relief.

Bono was one of five people to receive an honorary degree alongside this year's Ph.D. graduates from Trinity, and he seemed genuinely humbled by the traditional ceremony, which has hardly changed in the last 400 years and is still conducted in Latin. After it was over, he refused to put on the traditional mortar board he had tucked under his arm, despite being urged by the many photographers who were there to cover the event. He explained, "My head has swollen. Such is the treatment I have got from the college."

Just two days before the event at Trinity college, Bono was on hand in Dublin for the launch of the United Nations Human Development Report for 2003, a report which analyzes the range of human development around the world, covering issues like gender equity, poverty, and HIV/AIDS. Bono seemed most dismayed by the revelation that it would be the year 2100 before some of the grim statistics on hunger and child mortality in Africa could be turned around. He pledged to, "Be a real pain in the ass about this for the rest of my life. I am not prepared to be part of a generation that missed an opportunity."

Back
Top Bottom