(07-14-2003) Bono Gets New NYC Digs - NYMag *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
EPandAmerica said:
Those freakin geeks on the late night advertisements are making real estate deals left and right.

yeah thats what bonos up to. hes gonna rake the leaves in the front yard, paint the siding and put some new bass board in the smaller bedroom and flip it back on the market for $14.500250 million

Well said, Martha. I get this same argument when I talk about the needs in Africa, for instance, why don't you give your paycheck to help? With all due respect, charity is what one can afford, it doesn't mean you are to go without and become a case for charity yourself. Bono gives...that's all. Anyone who doubts that just doesn't get it. If he want's to buy an apartment for mega millions that's what he will do. If nothing else it's an extraoidnarily good investment, with what prices for apts go far in NYC. These things you think of when you have that much money. Not to mention the security it provides from people who are consumed with his private and financial dealings. He's got to protect his family at all cost. and I don't expect him to be Mother Teresa. He does so much good and I have no problem with him having the niceties of life. He's worked hard and he earned it over his lifetime thus far. I don't expect him to do anything more than he does or to explain anything??? It's none of my business.

Martha,
I didn't say I disagree with how Bono spends his money. And if I did disagree, I don't expect it to "matter a fuck" to anyone. All i said was that I understand why some people see him as a hypocrite. It looks that way, on the surface. However, maybe, as I said, Bono has good reason to spend that amount of money on an apartment.
To say that an individual can't make a difference is a cop out, in my opinion. Sure governments can do a lot more than any individual, including Bono, can. But, as anyone who has ever sponsored a child, or anything like that knows, a little money goes a long way. I don't think that anyone should give all their money to charity. That is taking it a bit far. But, if you are going to go on Oprah and talk about what kind of difference the price of taking your girlfriend to the movies can make, it seems a bit weird to be spending so much on a posh apartment. If Bono didn't say this kind of thing, I'm sure no one would care how he spends his money. I know I wouldn't.

mystery girl said:
But, if you are going to go on Oprah and talk about what kind of difference the price of taking your girlfriend to the movies can make, it seems a bit weird to be spending so much on a posh apartment. If Bono didn't say this kind of thing, I'm sure no one would care how he spends his money. I know I wouldn't.

How much do you think he should spend on a NY apartment? Are you unhappy just because it is posh? Do you think people will believe him more and do more if he lives in a modest home? Do you think he is spending his last dime on this apartment and now he won't have any money left to give to Africa?

AND if you listened to everything that was said on Oprah you would have heard Bono say that they were not asking for 'new' money they are asking people to call / write their congress rep and ask them the spend $$ that have already been raised on AFRICA.

Bono has said many times that he is spoiled rotten filthy rich rock star, that doesn't mean that his feelings for what should be done about Africa are not genuine.

When he made the icecream/movie comment he was trying to get across the fact that so little can mean so much and it doesn't take a miracle to solve this problem.

EPandAmerica said:

How much do you think he should spend on a NY apartment? Are you unhappy just because it is posh? Do you think people will believe him more and do more if he lives in a modest home? Do you think he is spending his last dime on this apartment and now he won't have any money left to give to Africa?

AND if you listened to everything that was said on Oprah you would have heard Bono say that they were not asking for 'new' money they are asking people to call / write their congress rep and ask them the spend $$ that have already been raised on AFRICA.

Bono has said many times that he is spoiled rotten filthy rich rock star, that doesn't mean that his feelings for what should be done about Africa are not genuine.

When he made the icecream/movie comment he was trying to get across the fact that so little can mean so much and it doesn't take a miracle to solve this problem.

You both make legitimate points:
Bono is an extremely generous and benevolent human being who has his heart in the right place (morally speaking).

He also presents a perception of arrogance, narcisism and hypocrisy that rubs many people the wrong way.

On one hand he speaks about giving and helping people and making financial (and other) sacrifices. Simultaneously he lives a lavish, gaudy lifestyle.

He is a bit of a walking contradiction: he speaks of the underprivileged and disenfranchised while wearing expensive sunglasses and a hat that has been sent to him via jet!

Let's face it: for all the good that he will ever do in his life, there will be a large portion of the public that view Bono as a pompous, conceited individual.

Last edited:
for those not from the new york area...
here's some shots of the san remo... bono's new digs...

san_remo_10nov.jpg

san_remo_06oct_s.jpg

san_remo_9june_s.jpg

So let's all pick on / bash Bono because he wears leather and shades. :(

What about sport stars that make millions every year while encouraging us to give to the United Way, should we bash them when they buy new homes instead of giving all of their money to charity???? :confused:

I think Bono rubs people the wrong way because he makes them feel uncomfortable. Deep down you know what he is saying is right and we are not doing enough and will have this weight on our shoulders of having to look our grandchildren in the eye and explain how we let Africa go up in flames.

Just because he lives a lavish life does not mean that he has not given his own money to charity. He probably gives more than the expected ten percent tithe and he spends countless hours of his time on the problems of the world.

God bless Bono.

EPandAmerica said:
So let's all pick on / bash Bono because he wears leather and shades. :(

What about sport stars that make millions every year while encouraging us to give to the United Way, should we bash them when they buy new homes instead of giving all of their money to charity???? :confused:

I think Bono rubs people the wrong way because he makes them feel uncomfortable. Deep down you know what he is saying is right and we are not doing enough and will have this weight on our shoulders of having to look our grandchildren in the eye and explain how we let Africa go up in flames.

Just because he lives a lavish life does not mean that he has not given his own money to charity. He probably gives more than the expected ten percent tithe and he spends countless hours of his time on the problems of the world.

God bless Bono.

I am not picking on or bashing Bono. I am simply pointing out the facts. I mentioned positive & negative sides/perspectives of Bono.

His charitable ways and altruism is noticed on a grand scale and (let's hope) appreciated and effecting many.

This discussion is about Bono, not other celebrities, therefore there is no mention of athletes, actors or any other entertainers. We are discussing Bono.

Unfortunately, you and many others(including myself, IMA), are very sensitive to any subject manner regarding Bono.

You're so right EPandAmerica. Not only has Bono no doubt given oodles to various charities, he's given alot of time and effort to this stuff. Remember, this is a guy with a wife and kids. It's not easy to spend *time, money and effort* on this stuff if you also have a job as a singer and you've got a family you need to spend time with. Considering the fact that he's had death threats as well......he needs to keep himself and his family safe. This place is very secure. Most of us don't need special security, but he obviously does. I feel better knowing he's taking steps to stay safe what with all of these nuts walking around out there. It's be another thing if he was ripping off his stockowners the way these :censored: 's who are getting busted for corporate scandals are.

bono could donate every dolar he has to the causes he promotes, it won't make a shred of difference. causes like the aids crisis and third world debt are not going to be solved by donations on a personal level, as large as they may be. they can only be solved through government intervention, and that's what he lobies for.

No, you MUST give everything you make, have you family do without, and first and foremost satisify all you're
fan's and critics, before you help other's. Someone just said to today that if 15 billon could be put aside for working women so they wouldn't have to pay for rent & utillities for a few months. :yikes: :blahblah: Never ceased to amaze me the s*** people will say when it comes to money.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
for those not from the new york area...
here's some shots of the san remo... bono's new digs...

wow, it certainly looks like an impressive & beautiful building. thanks for posting those pics, headache.

mystery girl said:

To say that an individual can't make a difference is a cop out, in my opinion. Sure governments can do a lot more than any individual, including Bono, can. But, as anyone who has ever sponsored a child, or anything like that knows, a little money goes a long way.

I was speaking of the Africa/AIDS situation. Go reread my post.

Thank goodness for U2 fans like Mystery girl and MDH who can take off their rose colored glasses and see reality despite our feelings for Bono. The self righteous lecturing here is becoming so thick I'm choking!

Think of it like this:

No one needs to convince diehard Bono lovers and supporters like the ones here on this board. There will always be an excuse and a justification for him as far as you all are concerned. BUT you are not the ones who he needs to win over and convince to help his crusade. It's the average person, people who might not even be U2 fans. People who might even hate rock music. People who will not go out of their way to rationalize his actions to his comments the way most of you have. These people are going to see a pompous, self righteous hypocrite who won't practice what he preaches. That's how it looks to people he's trying to convince how LITTLE it takes to help, and asking them to sacrifice the movie or the coffee, and when they see he has splurged on a rather small piece of rock in NYC, that's exactly what they are going to think.

I agree with Mystery Girl, if he weren't preaching about average people sacrificing, I would have no problem with what he buys or what he spends on what. But he does, so I do. Why? Do I want to bash him? NO! Do I want to point out his faults and make him look bad? NO! I do care about his cause, and I am geniunely concerned that a negative view of Bono will damage the good he could do. Remember, it's not you he needs to convince, it's Joe Blow and Jane Doe on the street. So we HAVE to worry about how things like this look to them. See what I mean?

Someone made an interesting point in PLEBA. She wondered if he hadn't moved because of security reasons. If the place is so hard to move into, the neighbors don't talk. Part of the cost of these places is no doubt security. Considering the recent threats this might be a wise move. Just an idea.

What is more important with Bono is not his personal tax deductible donations, but the awareness he spreads. That is priceless.

Thats a good point Verte. The hoops he had to leap through to get it, makes it kinda clearer as to why he would go through such rigmorole to part with such a vast sum of cash.

Angela, you're right. The important thing that Bono is doing is raising awareness. I wouldn't be involved in fund-raising for wells in Africa if it hadn't been for Bono and his information about the clean water situation in Africa. People are getting wells in Africa! That makes a huge change in their lives. These people don't give a damn that Bono has this place in New York. They want these wells! I just read something about Bono written by an American Christian musician. He pointed out that Bono has spent alot of resources, that's $$, getting the message out. He's made umpteen trips to Africa, to the U.S, all over. This ain't cheap but he can do it. What's he supposed to do tell the newspapers how much he's spending on these trips? Of course not. That'd be incredibly tacky. This is not to mention a "substantial" donation he made to an NGO in Ethiopia. He didn't tell the press about this, someone who works for the NGO did. This isn't going to be in the big shot media the way a $15 mil apartment is going to be, unfortunately. So, alot of perceptions of Bono are going to incomplete and sometimes downright inaccurate. This isn't his fault. It's the :censored: media.

I can't resist. I'm bad.

Tabby said:
a pompous, self righteous hypocrite who won't practice what he preaches. .....
if he weren't preaching about average people sacrificing, I would have no problem with what he buys or what he spends on what. But he does, so I do.

Wow.

You have more issues with this than you think you do.

I genuinely don't give a rat's ass about how he spends his money. Most other people don't either. But this is really pissing you off. Maybe you need to reconsider your opinions of this man.

No, no, no Martha it's not like that at all. You completely missed the point of my post. MDH posted almost exactly the same words, yet you did not attack him! :shrug: As I stated, I know -->YOU<--- don't give a rat's ass. Of course not. Neither does anybody else here. We love him. We don't need a list of who among us do not care how he spends his money. What concerns me is how he is seen by the general public and those he is trying to win over for his cause. With the recent reports of him being protested against at at least 2 places in Ireland, there is no question his contradictions are hurting him to those who do not feel the love and passion for him that we do. It is important to his cause that people who DO NOT love him and DO give a rat's ass see a good example in him, or it might damage all he has worked so hard to gain:(

I am concerned about the African crisis. I also have a suggestion- tragically, throwing billions of dollars into medicine that will help an already terminally ill person live 3 years instead of 6 months (though that is helpful) will not help as much in the long run as educating the children and teenagers as to how to avoid and prevent further infections! It's too late for the older generation, and sadly, most of them are going to leave us. But we can save the children. That won't take much money, it can start with missionaries, and teachers, and medical personnel spreading the word.

verte76 said:
Someone made an interesting point in PLEBA. She wondered if he hadn't moved because of security reasons. If the place is so hard to move into, the neighbors don't talk. Part of the cost of these places is no doubt security. Considering the recent threats this might be a wise move. Just an idea.

i doubt that. think lennon.

this was actually a BAD move if you take into consideration the things about lennon that pissed off a crazy like chapman. he thought lennon was a phony. a sellout. hated his splashy lifestyle when he'd spent the sixties preaching hippie. but don't tell PLEBA, they'll freak.

;)

bonosgirl84 said:

i doubt that. think lennon.

this was actually a BAD move if you take into consideration the things about lennon that pissed off a crazy like chapman. he thought lennon was a phony. a sellout. hated his splashy lifestyle when he'd spent the sixties preaching hippie. but don't tell PLEBA, they'll freak.

;)

Too late, enough PLEBAns are already freaking here :censored:

That is another excellent point and concern. Stalkers. John Lennon was shot in front of the building, by a crazed fan asking for an autograph. Security and doormen had seen him there all day but did nothing to stop him. Autograph hounds follow rock stars all the time, but you never know who might be dangerous. Bono not only befriends any stranger on the street, he even lets them into his car. Chills and worries :yikes: People go "oh he'll be okay, he's been at this for a long time." But I ask you, who was a bigger and more experienced rock star than a BEATLE??!!

you fools bono is a rock star and he is living the rock star life to bad he's married or he could fuck as many women he wants to and buy as many home's he likes.:tongue:

Back
Top Bottom