(07-13-2003) Look out - it's Doctor Bono! - Irish Examiner *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.examiner.ie/np/graphics/bonodegree.jpg[/SIMG]
Doctor Bono treats degree as sweetest thing
By Caroline O'Doherty

IT may only have been an honorary degree but it was even better than the real thing as far as Bono was concerned.
Already raised to the status of rock god by the fans, his ascent to the rank of Doctor of Laws was nevertheless an elevation the U2 frontman accepted with pride.

Paul David Hewson LLD, or Doc Bono to his pals and admirers after the conferral ceremony at Trinity College Dublin, was even a little awestruck as he stood among various human forms of greatness to receive the honour. Declining photographers' requests to model the ceremonial mortar board he had tucked under his arm, he explained that it couldn't get it on. "My head has swollen such is the treatment I have got from the college," he said.

bonodegree.jpg

The musician and Third World debt relief campaigner was one of five high-profile figures to receive their honorary degrees alongside a fresh batch of PhD graduates at Trinity yesterday.

Actress Dame Judi Dench, Munster MEP and president of the European Parliament, Pat Cox and Professor Roy Foster, Professor of Irish History at Oxford and biographer of Parnell and Yeats, were also honoured along with Supreme Court judge, Mrs Justice Catherine McGuinness. All five received their degrees from the chancellor of the university, former president, Mary Robinson, after glowing orations in Latin in a traditional ceremony which has changed little in 400 years.

Despite her most recent incarnation as M, the woman of steel in the James Bond movies, Dame Judi, the daughter of an Irish-born mother and Irish-educated father, found herself turning to mush.

"It's a rather emotional day for me," said the veteran performer who will be 69 in December. "My father graduated here in medicine and all my cousins went here. They all had to work for their degrees," she added modestly.

Bono, who as a young fellow turned down an offer of "some obscure" course at Trinity to go and play in some obscure band, still maintained he knew a lot about the college from sleeping in the grounds after nights on the town and scrounging free grub from the student restaurant.

"And here I am surrounded by greatness and nobility. My message to students is that crime does pay," he said cryptically.

Thanks to follower!

ballykissangel said:
..em...tink about that statement about being knighted...He's Irish remember? Not an honor to be a subject of the Queen of England....read some history...

I think that argument is BS. He is friends with plenty of English people; it's not their fault what happened. These things happened generations ago (with the exception of Bloody Sunday), and it's time to put the past in the PAST. I am sure he would accept the honor. It would be rude not to. However, he is not of British nationality, so he could never be "Sir Bono" in any official sense. But they do have something that they give out that is basically the equivalent, for those who live outside the UK. That is what Rudy Gulliani was given, I believe.

Last edited:
Actually Bono has been "knighted" in France, where he got the Legion of Honor from President Jacques Chirac. People who get this award are called "chevalier", which is the French word for knight. Non-British subjects can be knighted by the Queen, however, they're not properly "Sir". Giuliani was knighted by the Queen, but because he is a U.S. citizen he's not officially "Sir Rudy".

ballykissangel said:
..em...tink about that statement about being knighted...He's Irish remember? Not an honor to be a subject of the Queen of England....read some history...

Awww come on :) Not everyone knows the ins and outs of this tradition. It was just a kind suggestion made out of love for Bono.

well, about Bono being knighted, isn't Sir Bob Geldof an Irish citizen and a knight? At least I think so...

My 72 year old mom had the following to say about this:

How nice! I love the look of academic gown and fly glasses!! How impressive that they do the orations in Latin!

:laugh: She's a bit confused about her eras of glasses, but not bad.

Mrs. Edge said:
My 72 year old mom had the following to say about this:

How nice! I love the look of academic gown and fly glasses!! How impressive that they do the orations in Latin!

:laugh: She's a bit confused about her eras of glasses, but not bad.

:laugh:

awww, you gotta love her! :yes: :heart:

Back
Top Bottom