(07-11-2002) Clinton on Bono, Nike Condoms and more - News Interactive Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.news.com.au

Clinton has fun with Nike condom
From correspondents in Barcelona
12jul02

FORMER US president Bill Clinton has stolen the show at the world AIDS conference after laughingly conjuring up the idea of condoms brandishing the Nike logo.

Clinton took part in a "town hall forum" of present and former world leaders who aired their views about the global AIDS crisis in Barcelona, Spain.

He was jokingly urged by the meeting's Thai moderator to encourage the US sportswear maker Nike to start marketing its own contraceptive to help promote anti-HIV practices among the young.

"If in fact Nike got into the condom business, someone would have a field day with their logo," Clinton quipped.

A highly popular figure among AIDS activists, Clinton is guest-of-honour alongside former South African president Nelson Mandela for the closing ceremonies of the 14th International AIDS Conference.

During his visit, Clinton singled out US Senator Jesse Helms for praise.

The arch-conservative veteran was a perpetual thorn in the former president's side during the Clinton era.

But, in his last months in office, Helms has issued a surprising mea culpa about his stance on AIDS, saying he was now aware of the seriousness of the pandemic and wanted the United States to commit an additional $US500 million ($887 million) to fight it.

Clinton said the Irish rock singer Bono, a campaigner for debt relief for the Third World, "taught me ... I should never presuppose that I could not convince anyone to do the right thing on an issue of real humanitarian magnitude.

"It's amazing that Senator Helms, on his way out of the Senate, wanted to put another $US500 million into the fight against AIDS. I think that's an example of what we can do if we don't write anyone off and give everyone a chance to work together."

Clinton also suggested that the poorest countries should not shrink from sidestepping drugs companies and buying cheap generic copies of their HIV products in Brazil, India and other countries sympathetic to their plight.

Such moves are fiercely opposed by the pharmaceutical lobby as a discouragement in research and development.

Clinton said poor countries should turn to generics if they fail to get an acceptable price deal with the pharmaceutical industry.

They should also turn to rich countries with a detailed request to help them make up the financial difference between their own resources and the cost of meeting their needs, he said.

Agence France-Presse

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom