(07-03-2002) Bono Speaks Out On G8 Rhetoric - ChartAttack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.chartattack.com

Bono Speaks Out On G8 Rhetoric
Tuesday July 02, 2002 @ 05:30 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

02-u2.jpg

Bono's upset. And it's at least partially Jean Chretien's fault.

The U2 frontman is disappointed following the conclusion of the G8 summit in Kananaskis, Alberta last week. He says that Prime Minister Jean Chretien promised him last year that a massive relief plan for poverty stricken Africa would come out of the summit.

Aid for Africa was the dominant issue at the summit, but Bono feels that Chretien failed to convince the other G8 leaders to do enough for the troubled continent.

"It was an inspired thing, I think, of Prime Minister Chretien ... to have it as the centerpiece at this year's G8, but really what I'm looking at is a lot of rhetoric, a lot of the old numbers just kind of fiddled with," the star told CBC's The National in an interview that's available to view online.

"Prime Minister Chretien said to us a year ago that 'I'm going to give you your voice. I'm going to give you your chance' .... I just hoped they'd have had the imagination to make a giant, giant leap here."

Bono praised the G8 for their decision to contribute to a $1 billion fund for third world debt relief and Chretien's pledge of $6 billion, most of which is already in place, towards Africa, which closed the summit. The participating countries, however, refused to commit to a plan which would see 50 per cent of all new funds dedicated towards Africa.

?Jason Hailman

Back
Top Bottom