(06-22-2004) Nancy Sinatra on Bono -- hotpress.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Nancy Sinatra on Bono

hotpress.com is running an interview with Nancy Sinatra about her soon-to-be-released album "To Nancy, With Love," which features her version of the Bono and Edge-penned "Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad." In the interview, Sinatra talks about her decision to cover the song and having Bono set the record straight.

Bono tells a wonderful story about how he was out-partied one night by your dad and his friends ? I think Jack Daniel was there too! Him and The Edge then wrote a song for Frank, ?Two Shots Of Happiness?, which he was too ill to record but you?ve included on To Nancy, With Love.

When he sent me the track I thought, ?Oh, I?ll never get through this?, because he sung it with such passion and the strings and the horns just give you a chill when they reach a crescendo. Then there are the lyrics ? ?Under pressure, but not bent out of shape?/Surrounded, we always found an escape/Drove me to drink, but hey that?s not all bad/Two shots of happy, one of sad? ? which are so my dad and therefore very emotional to sing. Anyway, I changed the lyrics slightly ? ?I think I?m no good? is now ?He knew he was bad? because it?s me referring to my father rather than Bono speaking for him ? and started performing it live. The response as we swung round the country was so overwhelming that I knew I had to include it on the record.

Have you met Bono face to face?

Just the once, which is because he?d agreed to see my daughter who absolutely worshipped him as a teenager. He said, ?Meet me in the bar of my hotel in New York?, and I thought, ?I?m not going to let her meet this rocker guy on her own!? I needn?t have worried because he was extremely charming and generous in giving so much time to this young girl who wanted to get started in the music business herself. I read in the tabloids that he didn?t like my version of the song and then he kindly put out a press statement that that wasn?t true.

For the complete interview, visit http://www.hotpress.com/music/interviews/2733460.html?page=1 You must be registered to view the article.

Back
Top Bottom