(06-01-2004) Bono Denies Live Aid 2, Urges African Aid - Reuters* - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > 'Zine (archived) > U2 News > U2 News Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2004, 06:43 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 03:30 PM
that's not even a question for me .. but then it was not Bono who got me involved ..I have been involved for my own reasons for a while because of people I knew and for me it is an emeregency that as been at the core of who I am .. and ya since I have become a U2 fan people tie the two together .. they will always be people who think I do it because of Bono in the same breath as the people who think I shouldnt be preaching about it at all ..but thats just water off a ducks back.. doesnt bother me beacuse I learned that the end reult of what you are working towards is far more important then someones half ass judgement,
I will do what I do untill there isnt a need for it anymore.. Bono or no Bono simple as that

You know I've seen it happen and i dont mean this in a bad way but the people who are in it for the wrong reasons they arent in it for the long haul and they drop off when it gets to the dirty work.. Not everybody cares about this emergency I get that and it's their right not to.. I wish they did care but I cant force them too.. But the people who do and have written letter's or even said a prayer or whatever there is nothing small about any of that it all matters , not everybody is in a position to do the same thing on this but most all people have something to give.. And I dont divide those people into Bono fans and non Bono fans.. just people .. And if people show up at a rally or whatever just to see Bono well hey you cant blame them and that's one more signature on a petition then there was before..

One thing I know for sure if this guy Bono did drop out.. heaven help us we would be so far worse of I dont even want to think of it .. cause I havent seen anyone of his status who has stepped up to the plate like he has .

Old 06-01-2004, 10:00 PM   #22
The Fly

Local Time: 07:30 PM
The only reason you all care about it is because Bono does...if he didnt care about it, than you wouldn't either. Its a crock to say 'he made me aware of this emergency' because their have been people talking about it for decades. They have been just as vocal, if not more, about AIDS as Bono has, but since their not rock stars, nobody cares about what they think, and thats a shame

Old 06-01-2004, 10:48 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 02:30 PM
i cringe when people mention that the only reason people get involved in issues is because their 'idols' or 'role models' do. why is it so wrong to have someone who knows the issues and makes great meaningful music lead the way and look to his fans to support an issue that he thinks they might be interested in??? are we going to jump on all individuals that are leaders of every effort ever? whether its religion, politics or business, every great movement has had its leader(s) and a body of followers. it just so happens that the leader of this modern day movement is a rock star...a rock star with a giant heart and a great mind. U2's fans aren't as stupid as you might believe they are. many are as complicated as the band's greatest songs.

obviously many people have connected with U2's music on a very personal level and he's using his voice in a similar way, now pointing out specifics. no one holds a gun to people's heads to join his effort, and as long as people are making a conscious choice to follow the efforts bono has placed out in front of us all, then let them do what they want.

if it means that much to them, they'll continue their support long after bono has been an advocate. he's here to inform. anyone that cares adds one more chance that that'll be the true judge of character, not somebody ripping people down that they don't even know.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:15 AM   #24

Local Time: 07:30 PM
My apologies in advance all for not dealing specifically with the topic but I meant to post yesterday and inform everyone that according to a news report on TV3 Ireland Bono has denied that he was planning a 'Live Aid 2' I can't confirm if this report was arose from a direct consultation or interview with Bono or his Management but i just thought it may be worth informing everyone that 'Live Aid 2' is definitely not a certainty just yet. Let's hope that as time progresses we may get some information that is not only substantial but accurate.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:52 AM   #25
War Child

Local Time: 03:30 PM
I thinks it's a slap in the face to the emeregency to try and put label on someone you don't know.

As for people on the front lines like the workers with TAC , if you heard they were a U2 fan would you say they were involved because of Bono too?? These are the front line workers .. the ones providing treatment and live it everyday.. some are fans of U2 I know so what are you saying to them ..

and mofo82 thankyou cause I think you said it very well.. and as to the nobody cares what they think bit not

the fact that more people happen to come out to see Bono speak then say Stephen Lewis or Peter Pilot is just a case of Bono using celebrity wisely not who matters more ..thats just the way it works.. The media arent fyling over in flocks to get interviews with the front line workers .. they will cover what sells and Bono sells.. it's doesnt define who he is on this emergency but it is weapon he uses to his advantage and good for him

It was Stephen Lewis who opened my eyes to this so would you say I am only involved because of him ?? well thats true if had not been for him many years ago I might not be..I wouldnt be in the field of work I am etc.. so how is that any different then the people that get involved because of Bono ??

Hanover we did get a statement from DATA on the news section.. butnothing from Bono himself yet
Old 06-06-2004, 10:49 AM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 09:30 PM
Bono is totally right!

You know what?

I think I love him!!