(05-30-2004) Bono Plans Live Aid II - The Sun*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they've had multiple "live aid" type events since Live Aid... most of them involved Bono to some degree... Net-Aid (failure), 46664 (had a lot of people at it... but went by relatively unnoticed here in the states).

maybe bono thinks the only way to truely succeed again is by rehasing the Live Aid name. i'm sure a concert such as this would be a blockbuster in England... but look at what Net Aid did in the States... they blocked off the entire upper deck @ Giants Stadium and they STILL couldn't fill all the seats.

they'll need quite an eclectic group of performers to succeed again... a lot of artists that some of us on these boards despise.

** waits to see what eventuates** the truth is out there

but hellsbells, if this were to be true( how would it fit in with their world tour plans? busy busy boys)
if it is true, sharks and all, I'd want to be there.

live aid and we are the world were hugely popular, but put hardly a scratch on the problem they were set out to help... so as concerts/songs they were huge successes, but as causes they were largely failures.

net aid as a concert was a disaster... but net aid the cause continues to exist this day, and has helped spawn such things as DATA and The One canpaign...

so baisicly... i dunno.

Here in Australia, a music segment on a morning news program reported this as fact, promising to provide 'more details as they come to hand.' No mention whatsoever of Geldof's denial.

I feel this is definitely one of those times where we're just going to have to wait and see.

Bono has said it's not just money but awareness and pressure and keeping the message out there.
To make the power's that be, pay attention or keep paying attention. Bono knows nothing if not how to work the media at this stage.
He was on VH1 all weekend with short blurbs about the graduation speech, the Today Show this morning on the same subject. He's managed 2weeks or better of publicity out of this last short visit of his.
With that said, the more successful the concert/venue, the more media attention it draws.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
they've had multiple "live aid" type events since Live Aid... most of them involved Bono to some degree... Net-Aid (failure), 46664 (had a lot of people at it... but went by relatively unnoticed here in the states).

maybe bono thinks the only way to truely succeed again is by rehasing the Live Aid name. i'm sure a concert such as this would be a blockbuster in England... but look at what Net Aid did in the States... they blocked off the entire upper deck @ Giants Stadium and they STILL couldn't fill all the seats.

they'll need quite an eclectic group of performers to succeed again... a lot of artists that some of us on these boards despise.

yeah, I was at that concert...I think there was 6,000 people in a 80,000 seat stadium.:huh:

I think the key is in promotion (what a surprise!:der: )
Net Aid wasn't promoted all that much (from what I remember), so if u2 has a huge new album, the press makes a big deal about LIVE AID 2, and all the top acts get to play (plus Led Zeppelin gets back together....this time WITHOUT Phil Collins)....it could be a big deal in the u.s.

I read in the other thread that he denied this today.... mentioning it won't help the problem. Well as long as we have a tour next year we're happy right?!! :D

Bono Denies Plans for a 'Live Aid 2' Concert

36 minutes ago

By Gideon Long

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Irish rock star Bono played down rumors on Tuesday that he and his friends in the music industry are planning a second Live Aid concert to raise money to fight AIDS (news - web sites).

He said a "Live Aid 2," nearly 20 years after the first epoch-defining event to help the starving of Ethiopia, would not raise enough cash to adequately tackle the AIDS crisis.

Instead, he urged the countries of the European Union (news - web sites) to fulfil their pledge to commit 0.7 percent of their national incomes to overseas aid.

"At this point there are no plans for a Live Aid 2," Bono told reporters as he entered a meeting of EU development ministers in Dublin. "It's always there in the background but right now, no.

"Right now we're after billions (of dollars) not millions. A Live Aid 2 would help, but it wouldn't fix the problem."

Bono, frontman of rock giants U2 and a long-time campaigner on development issues, said a Live Aid concert would not be needed if governments in the developed world kept their promises on aid.

"We saw those pictures (of the starving in Ethiopia) 20 years ago. I don't want to see those pictures again," he said.

"There are plans being discussed on these tables (at the EU) which, if implemented, mean we wouldn't have to see those pictures again."

Bono, dressed in a purple suit and wearing his trademark wrap-around sunglasses, said the Scandinavians were alone in the EU in fulfilling their pledge to give 0.7 percent of their national income to overseas aid.

"There are some laggards hanging out here, and I'm going to be putting my hand in their wallets," he said as he headed in through the imposing doorway of Dublin Castle to meet the ministers.

"For me it's not really about charity at this point, it's about justice."

Bono said some EU countries had reneged on their promises because, as their economies expanded, they had realized that 0.7 percent of their national income was more, in absolute terms, than they had anticipated.

"This is renegotiating your deal with God downwards," said Bono, a committed Christian.

Bono, 44, was involved with the first Live Aid concert at London's Wembley Stadium in 1985 -- the brainchild of his friend and fellow Irishman Bob Geldof.

Both men have pressed Ireland to give development issues a higher profile during its presidency of the EU, which runs until the end of this month.

:ohmy: OMG! THIS WOULD BE THE BEST 20TH BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER! (yes, I was born on July 13, 1985)

Even though I'm in the states, if U2 played in London I would TOTALLY hop on a plane to London. OOOOOMMMMGGGGG!

*frantically runs about the room in total happiness*

That is the last time i ever trust the sun.. such a let down... im half wishing they are 20 million short of their targets now so there will be one! but at least they are pushing the government to give as much money as it can to help the third world, something witch should have been done years ago.

Wild Angel said:
Oh, it's from The Sun, no wonder.

The Sun is the same paper that made up that bogus flying hat story and published those fake "Bono, Ali and baby John" pics, remember? As far as I'm concerned anything reported by The Sun should be considered rumor until proven otherwise, they are not a very reliable or credible news source. :grumpy:

I think Bono does have a good point - this wouldn't raise money, but at this stage, awareness is worth more than money, because you need people to place pressure on the politicians, so it might be a lot more useful than just garnering ticket sales.

It might be a great idea, and I'd definitely go, but alas, I guess it was not meant to be at this point in time.

Back
Top Bottom