(05-30-2003) U2: The Rest of 1980-2000 On The Way? - Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.interference.com

A New Best of In The New Year?

U2News has received word today that a new U2 Best Of CD has started making the rounds at Universal Music. The new CD, due for a release in late 2003 or early 2004 would contain an assortment of tracks from the current Best Of albums, plus some new mixes, and new additions of tracks that did not appear on the issued Best Of's. Stay tuned for more information! We do not know if this is true - we have been told it is making the rounds at the record label via CD-R.

Below is the tracklist we have been given via Universal Brazil:

"The Rest of U2 1980-2000"
01 ? OUT OF CONTROL
02 ? TOMORROW
03 ? FIRE (NEW MIX)
04 ? WIRE
05 ? A SORT OF HOMECOMING
06 ? IN GODS COUNTRY
07 ? EXIT
08 ? HEARTLAND
09 ? GOD PART II
10 ? ACROBAT (NEW MIX)
11 ? LOVE IS BLINDNESS
12 ? YOUR BLUE ROOM
13 - PLEASE
14 ? WAKE UP DEAD MAN (NEW MIX)
15 ? KITE
16 ? NEW YORK

Last edited:
I don't know about this. The track listing seems a bit off. Are you telling me that TGBHF & Walk On aren't good enough for either a "best of" or a "rest of"? Could it be that this is a fake? Hmmm.... Then again, wasn't U2 contracted for 3 best of albums some years back?

this doesn't seem right to me... the band themselves have stated that they are releasing a new studio album at this time... it wouldn't make sense to release another best of then.

(and where's Running to Stand Still!?! :D)

:no:.... I don't believe this for a second! It's just crazy to think they would release another "Rest of" album since we already have 2 of those and while EVERYONE is waiting for the NEW album.

bayernfc said:
:no:.... I don't believe this for a second! It's just crazy to think they would release another "Rest of" album since we already have 2 of those and while EVERYONE is waiting for the NEW album.

GREENBACKS! That's why. And contractual obligations.

I'm trying to remember the particulars of that "Best of" deal. They may have been contracted for three of them. It seems to me it'd be crazy for them to put one out right with a new album. I'm treating this as a rumor.

That list looks more like a compilation of someone's personal favorites that didn't make it on the Best Of records. Don't believe it for one minute, or you've been had. A new mix of "Fire"? That's cute. I'm sure that the band and their people have forgotten that one was even recorded. The same goes for a few more on that list. I shouldn't forget to mention the chronological order of songs and the similarities of song-style diversity. Sorry kid, you are no "Universal Brazil."

Pure crap. Great tracklisting, but this story is just so not right.

It's making the rounds at Universal Music? What the hell is that? They're on Interscope.

There are other holes in this story, but you don't really need to look too deeply to see this is false.

Hilarious. "In God's Country" over "Running to Stand Still" and "Bullet the Blue Sky"? "Your Blue Room", which has already been on a Best Of disc, makes an appearance? It's in chronological order? C'mon, classics like "Gloria", "The Fly" and "Two Hearts Beat As One" NOT appearing? Hilariousness, thy name is this article.

U2 releasing their 3rd Best Of right when they are supposed to release a new album - not to mention only a year after they released their 2nd Best Of?? This can't possibly be true. Besides, there isn't a whole lot on that tracklist to tempt the die-hards who already own all the albums to buy it. I can't imagine too many people would be interested in a new mix of "Fire."

rumors and take it like that, would be very strange that appeared a album thus, with the "errors" that already indicated, like the exclusion of some songs and the inclusion of Your Blue Room that is in the Best Of 1990-2000 or whatever

Typically, a release is announced long before its tracklist is.

Just so y'all know.

I can't say anything as far as if this is valid or not... its a rumor for now. But as far as contractual obligations for the BEST OF....

U2 agreed to make 3 'best of' albums, for a contract worth around 70-80 million dollars (I forget the exact number). At the time this contract was made, it was said to be the largest record deal ever made, as far as money goes.

i don't like the idea and the tracklist. where are BTBS, Elevation, Mofo (album version), etc. ?

The 3 album Best Of contract is a reality. Now that their with Interscope - wasn?t it their farewell-parting gift / fulfilling any outstanding record contract obligations to Island Records? I?ve always thought that the next one would be the Best of 2000 ? 2010. Or the third one would be a Best of Live U2. Yet - if they went ahead with this project there?s a lot of great material to work with!

Out of Control
Electric Co.
11 O?Clock Tick Tock
Gloria
Two Hearts Beat As One
Running To Stand Still
One Tree Hill or In God?s Country
Heartland
God Part ll (new version?)
The Fly
Zooropa (radio edit)
Lemon
MOFO (new version?)
Please
Elevation
Walk On
New Song?

I agree that I believe that this is a rumour and the tracklist is a bit crap as well. If they were going to do a Rest of 1980-2000 then they would have included the likes of Please, Gloria, Elevation etc. Anyway I have already compiled my own Rest of 1980-2000. My tracklist is as follows:

1. Elevation (tomb raider mix)
2. Last Night On Earth (single version)
3. Bullet the Blue Sky
4. Lemon (single edit)
5. Gloria
6. Please (single version)
7. A Celebration
8. Walk On (single version)
9. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (temple bar edit)
10. If God Will Send His Angels (single version)
11. Two Hearts Beat As One
12. A Day Without Me
13. Fire
14. The Ground Beneath Her Feet

I would also have included the original version of 11 O'Clock Tick Tock but I don't have that version. Some other songs that might be included on an album like this would be :
Out Of Control
A Sort Of Homecoming
One Tree Hill
Zoo Station
Mofo
New York

So what does everyone else think of my compilation?

Well, it's good that you gave props to "A Celebration" since that really is a classic U2 song in every sense of the word. I don't care for "Last Night on Earth" and "Please" though and "Walk On" and "Elevation" are obviously being saved for the 2000-2010 collection.

My personal list:

1. Out of Control
2. A Day Without Me
3. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
4. Gloria
5. A Celebration
6. Two Hearts Beat As One
7. Seconds
8. A Sort of Homecoming
9. Wire
10. Bullet the Blue Sky
11. Running to Stand Still
12. One Tree Hill
13. The Fly
14. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
15. Lemon
16. If God Will Send His Angels

Other ones that I would want, but don't seem total Best Of worthy, or weren't too popular are:

Fire
Tomorrow
Drowning Man
Red Hill Mining Town
Ultraviolet
Love Is Blindness
Zooropa

And "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" and "Night and Day", but those wouldn't have a shot since they weren't written by the band.

Last edited:
You know, if U2 & Principle Management really wanted to do something special for 1980-2000... They might as well start off with a tracklisting of ONLY RARE B-SIDES AND COLLECTIBLES ... NO REMIXES... just songs people could no longer get their hands on... why deny U2 fans their musical treasures?

E.g.
For starters:

A Celebration
11 o'clock tick tock (studio recording)
I'm not your baby
Christmas (baby please come home)
Stateless

GIVE 'EM WHAT THEY WANT, BABY! GREATEST B-SIDES STYLE!

(Oh yeah, what I wouldn't give to hear Wake Up Dead Man (Mix Version from Salome Outtakes) worked out... with the lyrics and the two separate speakers blaring out Bono & Bono duet. :shifty: ;) )

Back
Top Bottom