(05-22-2003) U2 Win At Novello Awards - BBC *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Coldplay crowned top songwriters

Rock group Coldplay have been named songwriters of the year at a prestigious ceremony after becoming one of the few UK bands to break the United States. They were given the honour at the Ivor Novello Awards - the ceremony for songwriters rather than singers - in London on Thursday.

In other categories, David Gray beat Oasis songwriter Noel Gallagher to win best song for his tune The Other Side.

Career achievement honours also went to U2, Bryan Ferry, UB40 and The Beach Boys' Brian Wilson.

Coldplay have enjoyed international success with their second album, A Rush of Blood To the Head. As well as spawning three UK top 10 singles, the album has sold more than one million copies in the US and won two Grammy awards.

IVOR NOVELLO MAIN WINNERS

Songwriters of the year - Coldplay
Best song - The Other Side, David Gray
Best contemporary song - Weak Become Heroes, The Streets
Best international hit - Complicated, Avril Lavigne
Dance award - Lazy, X-Press 2 featuring David Byrne
International achievement - UB40
Outstanding contribution to British music - Bryan Ferry
Outstanding song collection - U2 (above)
Special international award - Brian Wilson

They have performed better than many other UK artists - including Robbie Williams, Oasis and Blur - in the US.

But Coldplay lost out to hip-hop artist The Streets in the category for best contemporary song.

The Streets were one of the hottest acts of 2002 and their track Weak Become Heroes beat Coldplay's In My Place. Ms Dynamite's debut hit It Takes More was also nominated.

Oasis were nominated for best song for their number two hit Stop Crying Your Heart Out, but lost out to David Gray's The Other Side, which only reached number 35 when it was released.

The international hit of the year was Complicated by 18-year-old Canadian singer Avril Lavigne. She beat off competition from Robbie Williams' Feel and U2's Electrical Storm.

The dance award went to X-Press 2, who had a massive hit with Lazy, featuring David Byrne on vocals, last summer.

The best-selling UK single of 2002 was Pop Idol winner Will Young's Anything is Possible, while the most-performed work was Liberty X's Just A Little, it was announced.

Film soundtrack

TV show Feltham Sings, a musical documentary featuring real prison inmates, picked up the prize for best original music for television.

In the film category, the soundtrack to Michael Caine's The Quiet American - composed by Craig Armstrong - was triumphant.

The classical award went to Boots Of Lead, composed by Simon Holt and conducted by Sir Simon Rattle.

U2 were given a special honour for their outstanding song collection, while former Roxy Music frontman Bryan Ferry was rewarded for his outstanding contribution to British music.

Brian Wilson was given a special international award and UB40 were honoured for their international achievement.

Good God. How on earth did they lose to Avril? I can see them losing to her at the Grammys or something like that, but a prestigious songwriter's award?!??! :no: :no: :no:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
kathleen, you forget how complicated her lyrics are. moods alter when you hear how special her song writing talent is. :heart:

:der:

however yay for Coldplay!!! :yes:

Silly me. You know, "I like you the way you are, when we're driving in your car" kind of does send shivers down my spine."

Congrats to Coldplay and U2, though!

Back
Top Bottom